Sandi's 2021 Planned $avings Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
SandiSAHM

Re: Sandi's 2021 Planned $avings Challenge

Post by SandiSAHM »

Much celebration: DD got into the program she wanted at school. They only accept 30 people into the program this year and while she's a good student, so are a lot of other people and there are at least a couple hundred per year who apply. The next 2 years of her life are going to be pretty intense.

So, what happens? She crops up with a problematic knee. Funny thing, I had the same problem at her age, same knee, same trigger - biking - though mine was ignored 'til... it's still being ignored, it seems to have gone away with age. But the pain and popping are really bugging her, off she goes to a knee doc next week. I hope whatever it is can be PT'd or fixed before she gets into the nitty gritty of her program (starts in June).

April is near. All that $ going to the IRS. Seems fair in a way, they keep sending us $, so why not take a bit back? :lol:
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

SandiSAHM wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:47 am Much celebration: DD got into the program she wanted at school. They only accept 30 people into the program this year and while she's a good student, so are a lot of other people and there are at least a couple hundred per year who apply. The next 2 years of her life are going to be pretty intense.

So, what happens? She crops up with a problematic knee. Funny thing, I had the same problem at her age, same knee, same trigger - biking - though mine was ignored 'til... it's still being ignored, it seems to have gone away with age. But the pain and popping are really bugging her, off she goes to a knee doc next week. I hope whatever it is can be PT'd or fixed before she gets into the nitty gritty of her program (starts in June).

April is near. All that $ going to the IRS. Seems fair in a way, they keep sending us $, so why not take a bit back? :lol:
Congratulations to your DD! If you don’t mind saying, what kind of program is it? Whatever it is, I hope than ongoing Covid - or her knee - won’t disrupt her work.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

floridacatlover wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:48 am Congratulations to your DD! If you don’t mind saying, what kind of program is it? Whatever it is, I hope than ongoing Covid - or her knee - won’t disrupt her work.
She's going into medical imaging, starting with radiography (x-rays) and eventually working around to sonography, CT, and MRI. She likes 'doing' more than 'schooling' (which puzzles me, she's a good student) and is chomping at the bit to get into clinical training later in the year. She says she isn't sure if she wants to just do the work, eventually manage folks doing the work, or maybe become a radiologist (more sitting in school, I doubt she'll go for that one) sometime down the line.

She scared me when she was little; she band-aided and put "casts" on nearly all her toys (and later on her brother) and has always washed her hands like she's scrubbing for surgery. I was afraid we'd have to find a way to put her through medical school :shock:

She thought about respiratory therapy, then about nursing, and finally settled on this.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

SandiSAHM wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:39 pm She's going into medical imaging, starting with radiography (x-rays) and eventually working around to sonography, CT, and MRI. She likes 'doing' more than 'schooling' (which puzzles me, she's a good student) and is chomping at the bit to get into clinical training later in the year. She says she isn't sure if she wants to just do the work, eventually manage folks doing the work, or maybe become a radiologist (more sitting in school, I doubt she'll go for that one) sometime down the line.

She scared me when she was little; she band-aided and put "casts" on nearly all her toys (and later on her brother) and has always washed her hands like she's scrubbing for surgery. I was afraid we'd have to find a way to put her through medical school :shock:

She thought about respiratory therapy, then about nursing, and finally settled on this.
That will be a good career. Smart girl! That would appeal to me because no blood but still in the medical field. Brother of my friend in RI is in the radiology field. Not a doctor but a manager of a hospital imaging department from what I understand. Judging by his beautiful home, he has made an excellent living. Good luck to your DD.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

floridacatlover wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:21 am That will be a good career. Smart girl! That would appeal to me because no blood but still in the medical field. Brother of my friend in RI is in the radiology field. Not a doctor but a manager of a hospital imaging department from what I understand. Judging by his beautiful home, he has made an excellent living. Good luck to your DD.
Thank you!

She scares me... we paved the way for a bachelor's in short time but, NO, she's not sure she wants that and she wants schooling with more 'doing' than reading or just "sitting listening to people talk." So, education that includes hands-on instruction in the field.

She was x-rayed today (knee) and talked with the tech (for a collection of orthopedic doctors, the local cream of the orthopedic crop) who loves her job but didn't stay in a hospital environment because she didn't enjoy working in surgical suites during surgical procedures (tech's mom is ALSO a tech but who works at a hospital, does a lot of imaging during surgery and isn't bugged by it at all). DD has though about it and decided that wherever she ends up working (the school has a 100% job placement track record for the last few years), she's going to keep her eyes open for a M-F normal schedule job in a place like this orthopedic assn so she gets some time to keep up her certs, have her weekends open and, above all, not have to take images while people are being operated on. ;)

As for her knee... she's in a brace and has to do PT twice a day for now, check-up in 6 weeks.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Back to monetary stuff.

Last reported checkpoint toward the goal was 2/20, when we were at 33.274% of goal for the year.

Then we went on vacation ($) paid some out of pocket for eyewear ($$) paid the 6-month car insurance premium ($), did some other things that may have some long-term payoff (DH put in a new garden bed made not with wood but some trex-like 'stuff' that will never need to be replaced, then had to buy DIRT (you read that right, BUY DIRT) to fill it, had to pay the Fed and the state, it has taken a while to get back to a point where I don't feel too terrible.

We're at 32% of goal for the year; a drop. May looks pretty promising, though.