Sandi's 2021 Planned $avings Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
SandiSAHM

Re: Sandi's 2021 Planned $avings Challenge

Post by SandiSAHM »

Thankfully, the Prius can be fixed!! :D So all this will cost us is the deductible AND, as DH is rarely completely off when he has an idea, a new passenger-side headlight assembly (& labor) because the car is not new and the plastic has yellowed and looks hazy on that side - with one new headlight (the driver's side headlight assembly is rubble), the car will look lop-sided and the lights won't illuminate equally. If we have them put two in, they'll be equal. Given that we'd like to keep that car another 5-7 years it seems like a good idea. It'll look better when the time comes to either trade it in or sell it, too.

So I'm probably $1500 more away from the goal for the time being, but maybe we'll make it up in September :lol: when there's not a lot going on (I hope). We'll put the $ on the cc with the highest rewards and pay it off when the bill comes in.

Frighteningly, DS just took driver's ed. He doesn't have his permit yet because he still has the driving portion of the instruction to do, but we're about to have yet another teenager behind a wheel. I told DH to let him use my car to learn - it's older, smoother (Priuses are not the height of comfort, they're light, not sound-proof :lol:, the bigger conventional engine in mine allows for sound-proofing and a much smoother ride) AND he won't have to sit in the back seat in order to not have his knees locked up under the steering column; his head touches the ceiling of the Prius when he sits in it. There's no way his sister is letting him drive "her" car, LOL.

Back to the grind!

ETA: less than $1300 total to fix the Prius :D
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

The Prius is back :D It looks great, runs great, it's almost like nothing happened to it. Almost, because the new headlight assemblies make it look even better than pre-collision.

$avings Challenge update: we're at 54.25% of goal. Insert confetti thing (gif? meme? whatever) here. Technically, it being (Julian date) 21201, we should be at 55.07%, but we're really close so I feel okayish 'celebrating.'
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:58 pm The Prius is back :D It looks great, runs great, it's almost like nothing happened to it. Almost, because the new headlight assemblies make it look even better than pre-collision.

$avings Challenge update: we're at 54.25% of goal. Insert confetti thing (gif? meme? whatever) here. Technically, it being (Julian date) 21201, we should be at 55.07%, but we're really close so I feel okayish 'celebrating.'
Good to hear your car is back and looking good.

Congrats on working towards your goal.
Janet Alliesmama
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Presently at 55.575% of the annual savings goal. Given the date, we 'should be' at 59.726%.

'Easy' projections ($ I know we can save, barring unpleasant surprises - like hitting any more deer) are 87.5%. Which only leaves me figuring out where the other 12.5% can be collected.

Still have 2 quarterly payments toward our taxes to make this year due to my contractor status, that's a chunk of change. All this and I *still* think we'll end up paying next year unless there's some kind of change to the 2021 info of which I'm unaware. Mostly because they're now sending us $ monthly for DS (who will age out in the last month of the year), can't use any of that 'cause they'll just want it back :lol: but if they want us collecting the small $ of interest it can glean in savings 'til they decide it's time for it to be returned, so be it - back to appreciating those pennies so the dollars can slowly add up.

I don't like this year's #, I wish we'd settled at about 75% of it. I need to change my attitude about that, there's really no reason, if we behave, we can't get to 120% of this year's goal next year. Am I telling DH I think that could happen? No, I am not :lol:

If he tosses out a goal $ any lower than 120% of this year's, I'll just mentally tack on the rest and see if we get there. He likes easy percentages though, he'll probably go with 125%, and I'll faint. :shock:
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

You know the section of 'Forrest Gump' where Bubba recites a seemingly endless list of shrimp dishes?

This is my current situation with tomatoes. Tomato sandwiches, tomatoes in Greek-style salad, tomato basil pie, tomato foccacia, gazpacho, roasted tomatoes, salsa... Then the list of stuff tomatoes are used in (tortilla casserole, squash and lentil curry, primavera...); if you are what you eat, very shortly I'll wake up as a tomato. Last time I was tomato-like, during DS's birth, it turned out to be an allergic reaction to latex :lol:

We've given them to church members, given them to neighbors (met some neighbors this way, LOL, "Hi, I'm Will (or San), do you like tomatoes?" so far that's going well, only one who won't eat nightshades - but they smoke, and that struck me as odd, maybe they don't know tobacco is a nightshade?), it's starting to remind me of 2007, the Great Year of the Zucchini, when we had so. many. zucchini. - he was picking 30 a day and we were, quite honestly, as a family, a church, and a neighborhood, zucchini'd out. Fortunately we remembered there's a 'soup kitchen' style operation in Tulsa, they were stoked. We have yet to again meet anyone that happy about zucchini.

We have decided to tear out the carpet and put down a solid floor. Because remodeling is an addictive drug.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

SandiSAHM wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:10 pm You know the section of 'Forrest Gump' where Bubba recites a seemingly endless list of shrimp dishes?

This is my current situation with tomatoes. Tomato sandwiches, tomatoes in Greek-style salad, tomato basil pie, tomato foccacia, gazpacho, roasted tomatoes, salsa... Then the list of stuff tomatoes are used in (tortilla casserole, squash and lentil curry, primavera...); if you are what you eat, very shortly I'll wake up as a tomato. Last time I was tomato-like, during DS's birth, it turned out to be an allergic reaction to latex :lol:

We've given them to church members, given them to neighbors (met some neighbors this way, LOL, "Hi, I'm Will (or San), do you like tomatoes?" so far that's going well, only one who won't eat nightshades - but they smoke, and that struck me as odd, maybe they don't know tobacco is a nightshade?), it's starting to remind me of 2007, the Great Year of the Zucchini, when we had so. many. zucchini. - he was picking 30 a day and we were, quite honestly, as a family, a church, and a neighborhood, zucchini'd out. Fortunately we remembered there's a 'soup kitchen' style operation in Tulsa, they were stoked. We have yet to again meet anyone that happy about zucchini.

We have decided to tear out the carpet and put down a solid floor. Because remodeling is an addictive drug.
I am jealous of your tomato bonanza. I am currently nursing a tiny tomato about the size of a marble and there is another bloom coming on.. lol. We have had horrible weather plus I am not a good gardener and been negligent in getting things going as quickly as I should have. Good idea to donate to a soup kitchen operation.
Janet Alliesmama