Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Post by Jackielou »

Definitely little amounts add up to big amounts over time. I have done the same as you many a time when the going was tough.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Today I am feeling thankful that I can use my resources to be helpful to others at the holidays - and whenever - a couple of years ago I could NOT - and it was not a happy time for me. When I say "resources" that is not to imply that I am wealthy - or even "well off" - I am NOT - but I am solvent again and I FEEL rich, lol.
My car passed inspection last week - whew! It's a 2009. They said I have 3,000 to 5,000 miles left on my back tires - that's like 7 YEARS of driving for me - so okay, lol. I'm sure I will tend to that well ahead of time but nice to know it doesn't have to be right now.

i have a loan against my retirement plan at work (yes, I get that it isn't a smart thing to do) and the payments come out of my paycheck. I looked at the payment schedule the other day and I'll be DONE with it in February - so $93 more in every paycheck.
Does anyone remember, if you have ever been through really hard times financially, or lived paycheck to paycheck, the first time you paid all of your bills and had money left over? I was remembering last night when that happened to me a couple years ago. Once I realized that no, I had NOT made a mistake, it was the best feeling in the world. Yes, I still had some debt that the village idiot left me with - but I could MANAGE it and start saving again.
Food prices continue to go up here. The saltine crackers that were $1.09 at Save A Lot last week were $1.19 yesterday. Their take and bake pizzas were $5.99, now $6.99, and many other increases.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:05 am Today I am feeling thankful that I can use my resources to be helpful to others at the holidays - and whenever - a couple of years ago I could NOT - and it was not a happy time for me. When I say "resources" that is not to imply that I am wealthy - or even "well off" - I am NOT - but I am solvent again and I FEEL rich, lol.
My car passed inspection last week - whew! It's a 2009. They said I have 3,000 to 5,000 miles left on my back tires - that's like 7 YEARS of driving for me - so okay, lol. I'm sure I will tend to that well ahead of time but nice to know it doesn't have to be right now.

i have a loan against my retirement plan at work (yes, I get that it isn't a smart thing to do) and the payments come out of my paycheck. I looked at the payment schedule the other day and I'll be DONE with it in February - so $93 more in every paycheck.
Does anyone remember, if you have ever been through really hard times financially, or lived paycheck to paycheck, the first time you paid all of your bills and had money left over? I was remembering last night when that happened to me a couple years ago. Once I realized that no, I had NOT made a mistake, it was the best feeling in the world. Yes, I still had some debt that the village idiot left me with - but I could MANAGE it and start saving again.
Food prices continue to go up here. The saltine crackers that were $1.09 at Save A Lot last week were $1.19 yesterday. Their take and bake pizzas were $5.99, now $6.99, and many other increases.
Sheila, I remember when that happened to me a year ago. It is an amazing feeling I agree. I struggled for two decades to get out of debt due to losing my medical insurance. I am still paying off one credit card, but it is not that hard, and I have some money to work with and save. I am back to tithing which makes me feel so good. My FICO score is going back to the very highest level where I used to be. I missed two payments to two different credit cards about 5 years ago and the bottom dropped out of my FICO score. I was actually only late by about 5 days on the 2 cards, but it was enough to bottom out my FICO. Even though those cards are paid off in full they will be on my record for 7 years.

I too see a lot of changes at the grocery stores.

Keep up the good work my friend.
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:26 am Sheila, I remember when that happened to me a year ago. It is an amazing feeling I agree. I struggled for two decades to get out of debt due to losing my medical insurance. I am still paying off one credit card, but it is not that hard, and I have some money to work with and save. I am back to tithing which makes me feel so good. My FICO score is going back to the very highest level where I used to be. I missed two payments to two different credit cards about 5 years ago and the bottom dropped out of my FICO score. I was actually only late by about 5 days on the 2 cards, but it was enough to bottom out my FICO. Even though those cards are paid off in full they will be on my record for 7 years.

I too see a lot of changes at the grocery stores.

Keep up the good work my friend.
Thank you, Janet. It was a hard row to hoe - working second and third jobs, going without heat and lights, not having internet at home, picking up germ covered empty cans off the street, not getting my hair done (cue the violins, lol), walking everywhere is extreme weather, you name it. I am of the mind that if you get yourself into a mess (which I did), you do whatever is necessary to get yourself out of that mess. I am not proud of the mess I got myself into - but I am proud of how I got myself out of it and managed to keep some of my sanity. I appreciate your encouragement, my friend.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:46 am Thank you, Janet. It was a hard row to hoe - working second and third jobs, going without heat and lights, not having internet at home, picking up germ covered empty cans off the street, not getting my hair done (cue the violins, lol), walking everywhere is extreme weather, you name it. I am of the mind that if you get yourself into a mess (which I did), you do whatever is necessary to get yourself out of that mess. I am not proud of the mess I got myself into - but I am proud of how I got myself out of it and managed to keep some of my sanity. I appreciate your encouragement, my friend.
Sheila you really worked hard to get out of debt. I know some people never stop they just keep getting deeper in debt. You did a great job, and I am proud of you for the extreme efforts you took to get out of debt. Now you can relax somewhat and enjoy some of what you worked hard to achieve.

I remember there was a time when I put a jar of pickles back on the shelf at the grocery store due to considering them a luxury item. I remember when I found Dollar Tree. That was a big change in my shopping. I remember one of my aides telling me that I should buy the item at the grocery store to get more, and it would cost less in the long run. Yes, it would if I had that kind of money. I do not remember what I was buying. I told her maybe you can but if you only have $1.00 at least you can buy it at Dollar Tree. I have only been to Dollar Tree maybe 2 times since the pandemic started. They say they are raising their prices to $1.25. Not sure if that is for all items? Have you been and have you seen any price changes?
Janet Alliesmama
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:05 am Today I am feeling thankful that I can use my resources to be helpful to others at the holidays - and whenever - a couple of years ago I could NOT - and it was not a happy time for me. When I say "resources" that is not to imply that I am wealthy - or even "well off" - I am NOT - but I am solvent again and I FEEL rich, lol.

You are doing really well and you are on track for a great retirement when you are ready.

I know very little about cars but I’ve heard that tires should be replaced not just because of mileage but also age. I think the rubber becomes brittle - or something. So keep that in mind.

Yesterday at Publix there were no store-brand salines. Last time I bought them I had to get the salted ones. ( I prefer unsalted.) But now the shelf is empty. I refused to pay $3.19 (Yikes!) for Premium brand saltines. So I only have two crackers left ☹️.