Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Post by HappyDaze »

Yesterday I spent $121.00 and pre-paid my cell phone service for an entire year - about $10.08 per month. The original cost was a little over $140 but I looked for a coupon code as someone here suggested - and found one! I believe I have 1,000 texts and 1,000 "minutes" - should be plenty. I am very pleased with this price!!

Car insurance and registration are both due in May - so I'm getting those payments mailed today - no sense in putting it off for another month.

I got my pay increase yesterday - retroactive to December 20, 2020. It was postponed due to covid. While I got a decent increase - all things considered - it is "only" about $1,400 over the course of a year. My coworker is very upset about what we got - I'm looking at it like "they didn't have to give us anything" - and I'm thankful for what we got.

All things considered - everything is going well and I could not be more grateful.

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Great job with the coupon and congratulations on the pay increase. Every little bit helps is my take on these things.

My husband's employer does not give raises. It gives performance-based bonuses that are taxed before being deposited in the employee's account. People who complain about getting small routine raises would shut right up if that's what they received because they're hard to get and are a lot smaller after taxes!
Mackie

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:27 am
Yesterday I spent $121.00 and pre-paid my cell phone service for an entire year - about $10.08 per month. The original cost was a little over $140 but I looked for a coupon code as someone here suggested - and found one! I believe I have 1,000 texts and 1,000 "minutes" - should be plenty. I am very pleased with this price!!

Car insurance and registration are both due in May - so I'm getting those payments mailed today - no sense in putting it off for another month.

I got my pay increase yesterday - retroactive to December 20, 2020. It was postponed due to covid. While I got a decent increase - all things considered - it is "only" about $1,400 over the course of a year. My coworker is very upset about what we got - I'm looking at it like "they didn't have to give us anything" - and I'm thankful for what we got.

All things considered - everything is going well and I could not be more grateful.
Every little bit helps in the grand scheme of things. Enjoy your pay increase.

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

So all the "personal finance experts" on YouTube (who, yes I do realize are, for the most part, only self-proclaimed experts) say "call you credit card company, ask for a lower interest rate - they will usually comply). NOPE. NOT TODAY. I even asked to speak with a manager - got the same run around.

Now if I "want to make a significant purchase", they will give me a lower rate on THAT - but not on my balance. Gonna make their heads spin how fast I pay off that balance - they're not getting any more of my money than absolutely necessary.

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I will be batch cooking today. The plan is to make veggie burgers to break up and put on top of salads this week. Also homemade protein bars and I need to roast two bags of fresh broccoli that I purchased on markdown. Having a plan for all the healthy food I purchased yesterday is the key to not wasting anything. Since a lot of the veggies I bought were on markdown, I will be eating lot of veggies over the next 3 days.

The veggie burgers will use up some of the gallon jar of black beans that DD gave me. She finally took a lot of food to my parents' house yesterday. They will use some and find homes for the rest. She took 5 lb. of rice, 4 large canisters of oatmeal, 4 lb. of white beans, cooking oil, 6 boxes of pasta, and a case of assorted canned goods. I know my mom will give a lot of the stuff to her neighbors who have 6 children.

The protein bars will use up some oatmeal and a can of pears, of which I have several. Will also add craisins, blueberries, flax meal, chia seeds, natural peanut butter and a few chocolate chips to those.

I have been a bit lax with the cooking ahead recently - then something Mackie posted reminded me how much money it saves - and I got motivated again. Thank you Mackie!

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Some money - I have no idea how much - will be spent today at the car repair place. The mechanism that operates my driver's side windshield wiper is broken - or needs to be tightened - or something. Also, my tire light won't go off, even though my brother has put air in my tires.

I wouldn't think this would be very expensive - but they do get $70 an hour - so maybe a couple hundred.

This car has served me well - not as good as my first Nissan - more repairs - but still fine. Both were new - the first one I drove 13 years and this one I've had 12 years this May - hoping to get another 2 years out of it.

I know they are going to try to lowball me on the trade in when the time comes. I looked my car up on CarFax - and even in "fair condition", it is still worth over $3,000 - so if they're not going to be reasonable with the trade in value, I will sell it outright. I would rather donate it and take the tax write off than be insulted and accept a low amount.