Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:21 am Jackie, do you have manufacturers coupons in Canada? I rarely use them anymore - it's different than it used to be - I used to be able to clean up with coupons - bring home a huge haul at around 50% off - not anymore.

My daughter donated some things to our local pantry. She had "prepped" for the end of the world and I finally said some of it had to get out of here and get donated. We also both volunteer whenever there is a drive-through food distribution in our town, putting things like milk, cereal, etc. into boxes that will be loaded into the cars, sorting fruit into bags, etc.

There is a local organization that used to offer classes on budget cooking, shopping, etc. - but I don't know that they're doing it now - and don't know that they were ever really reaching the folks who needed the classes the most. It's very worrying.
Our coupons are mostly for cleaning supplies and personal care items. Not much for food items except for boxed cereal and coffee (do use the coffee ones when possible).
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:17 am Our coupons are mostly for cleaning supplies and personal care items. Not much for food items except for boxed cereal and coffee (do use the coffee ones when possible).
It's the same here - there seem to be fewer and fewer coupons for healthy food. I have a store coupon for coffee right now and Fetch Rewards has bonus points for getting that brand - and it's my preferred brand, so I'm going to do that deal.

I was able to use 8 coupons for t.p. today (had to have DD do one checkout transaction for me because the store has a limit of 4 coupons per item) and do another deal on Fetch for 3,000 bonus points for that brand - again, my preferred brand.

Other than the occasional deal like that, I only use a coupon here an there, once in a while, for dog treats or laundry soap or something. I think those "super couponer" shows kind of ruined it for the rest of us.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Yesterday I put together a couple of nice but frugal gifts - one for my mom's birthday and a baby gift for my coworker. Mind you, I already gave her a nice baby gift but coworkers decided to have a "thing" for her tomorrow since it's her last day and I didn't want to be empty handed.

For my coworker, I bought an "insulated bottle bag" (could also be used as a lunch bag - or whatever) and filled it with baby wipes (coupons and Ibotta rebates) and baby wash and lotion (coupons and Ibotta rebates) and a cute little outfit (on sale - Family Dollar). It looks so cute all put together - the bottle bag is the gift wrap.

For my mom, I found a rustic metal container at Dollar Tree and filled it with a hummingbird feeder, food mix, flower seeds, candy, silk flowers and a couple book marks. She loves this type of gift.

Generally speaking, I am not a talented gift giver or overly enthusiastic about it - but I am very pleased with these two gifts.

Budget wise, I am "two months ahead" -- a long way from when I was "paycheck to paycheck" - so I have a bit of a cushion should an emergency car repair or something happen. It is important, when paying off debt, to balance that and keep some funds on hand. If you put all of it on the debt and you have something happen, you won't have any money.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Back from the grocery stores and could write several more paragraphs about sticker shock and high prices - but you are all well aware and don't need me ranting on about the obvious.

I picked up some mark-downs ans sale items at the "regular" grocery then went on to Save a Lot and got lettuce (.99 per head) and 10 lb. of potatoes for $2.99 and a 5 lb. bag of carrots that were no bargain. I did splurge on plant butter and oat milk at the regular grocery.

They had $4.99 cans of coffee marked down to $1.99 and I had .50 cent coupons for each can, doubled to $1.00 - so .99 per can - score!

I don't know what my spend will be at the Vet tomorrow but I have the cash on hand so that is peace of mind.

Doing some cooking today - roasting two heads of marked down cauliflower and will make a few other things yet to be determined - I don't really feel like it but it needs to be done.

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

I used to aim for $90 a week for 2.5 people (DS buys a lot of his own groceries, but not all), and now I'm doing really well to hit $110. And we don't eat a lot of meat. People who have to have it every night must be really feeling the pinch.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

MackerelCat wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:56 pm I used to aim for $90 a week for 2.5 people (DS buys a lot of his own groceries, but not all), and now I'm doing really well to hit $110. And we don't eat a lot of meat. People who have to have it every night must be really feeling the pinch.
My daughter buys most of her own food too - I do supply things like coffee, sugar, garbage bags, toilet paper. The household stuff (non-food) I purchase and track separately from my food. I'm getting by with spending around $90 every two weeks for food - and some of that is stock up stuff - and a few splurges - so can't complain about that.

It breaks my heart to see elderly people pushing their carts aimlessly through the store, trying to find things they can buy. And families.

Charles M. Schultz