Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Post by HappyDaze »

My meals for the week are figured out and prepped and a bag of food packed that I will take to work this morning. I made a big batch of vegan "sloppy joe" mixture yesterday that will be eaten on some reduced price bakery rolls. Also a pot of lentils that can be both used for lentil tacos and have veggie broth added and eaten as soup.

Breakfasts will be yogurt with various fruits (I have fresh nectarines and frozen blueberries) and granola. I'm taking another "oatmeal break" until October. I also have grits that need to be used. Fortunately, I like them both savory and sweet so they will make good breakfasts when the weather turns colder.

Trying to stick to a very frugal food budget - BUT - I feel like I also have to buy the things I know I will eat - or it isn't frugal in the end.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Anyone who says it isn't true that grocery prices are increasing to sky high - well I don't know what to say to that, because in my observations, they are. I am trying to compensate by building meals around what is on sale/cheap, etc. Have found some good deals on potatoes lately - so potato soup, scalloped potatoes, etc. on the menu.

I have put my whole pay raise into my retirement contribution. While it was tempting to use it for other things, I feel it is best to put it into retirement and live as if it doesn't exist - *SIGH* So, really going into super frugal mode to stretch the dollars as much as possible, continue to pay down debt and save.

I have cut my daughter's rent in half (plus she pays her share of utilities) because she takes such extremely good care of my dogs while I'm working. They each get a quick walk around the house and yard every morning and a nice long walk every evening. I still walk them on weekends to give her a break. She has also taken over the feeding of the outdoor cats - again, except on weekends when I do it.

I really don't aspire to make money off her being here - that has never been the point (the POINT is that grown adults have to pay something - nobody lives under my roof for free) so it is all good. What she pays includes trash pickup and all the trash bags, lawn maintenance, internet, use of the washing machine, etc.

Her college classes have started - all online this semester - and she spends about 4 hours a day on classes/studying/homework - so between that and all the dog walking, she is very busy too.

I'm rambling and not really saying much so I will wrap this up.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

We don't make DS pay rent, but he required to do a number of "citizen of the house" chores in return for living there and he pays all his own bills. His health insurance is very expensive, which is one reason why we don't require rent: he simply cannot afford health insurance and to pay rent. We'd rather he had health insurance. He buys all his own food except for a couple of items we share: granola bars and frozen french fries. He eats most of them, but I buy them because they do get shared.

You are correct that food prices are continuing to rise. It's more like going up weekly by leaps and bounds. The prices of some items have almost doubled in the past 18 months. After our most recent trip to the grocery store, I think we are going to have to increase the grocery budget by about 20 percent. I was able to keep it low this summer by using up stock in the pantry and freezer, but those items have to be replaced. I don't feel comfortable going into winter without some food in storage.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Mackie, I need to do the same and replace some of the back stock I have used. I need canned goods, peanut butter, etc. for the "stash".

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Any Save A Lot shoppers here? Is it me - or is that store full of mostly processed junk? My local SAL sure is. I mean there is a produce section with the basics - but a TON of frozen dinners, bakery items, ice cream, candy, sweet cereal, breakfast pastries, potato chips (my big weakness), etc.

They have no whole grain pasta and natural peanut butter. I get that the limited selection is how they keep prices "lower" (not impressed with their prices either) but one has to shop carefully to get good, wholesome food.

Today I went there and picked up a bag of golden delicious apples, a bag of sweet potatoes, 2 cans of tomato soup, 2 cans of pear,s 2 cans each of stewed tomatoes and crushed tomatoes (canned goods for the stockpile), a big block of extra sharp cheddar cheese, almond milk and a 6-pack of sour cream donuts (I'm on "staycation" and a donut with my coffee in the morning sounds like heaven!).

I'm gong to try to not buy any other groceries for the upcoming week - I'm home so scratch cooking will be a breeze. I have everything for lentil tacos, stuffed baked sweet potatoes, homemade mac & cheese, etc.

I have an appointment next week to get my will updated - exciting stuff. My appointment is in a town with a WalMart and an Aldi - I must avoid!!

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:09 pm Any Save A Lot shoppers here? Is it me - or is that store full of mostly processed junk? My local SAL sure is. I mean there is a produce section with the basics - but a TON of frozen dinners, bakery items, ice cream, candy, sweet cereal, breakfast pastries, potato chips (my big weakness), etc.

They have no whole grain pasta and natural peanut butter. I get that the limited selection is how they keep prices "lower" (not impressed with their prices either) but one has to shop carefully to get good, wholesome food.

Today I went there and picked up a bag of golden delicious apples, a bag of sweet potatoes, 2 cans of tomato soup, 2 cans of pear,s 2 cans each of stewed tomatoes and crushed tomatoes (canned goods for the stockpile), a big block of extra sharp cheddar cheese, almond milk and a 6-pack of sour cream donuts (I'm on "staycation" and a donut with my coffee in the morning sounds like heaven!).

I'm gong to try to not buy any other groceries for the upcoming week - I'm home so scratch cooking will be a breeze. I have everything for lentil tacos, stuffed baked sweet potatoes, homemade mac & cheese, etc.

I have an appointment next week to get my will updated - exciting stuff. My appointment is in a town with a WalMart and an Aldi - I must avoid!!
Post your recipe for lentil tacos please. I am really trying to cut back on meat, buy having a few more meatless meals a month.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/