Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:39 pm Post your recipe for lentil tacos please. I am really trying to cut back on meat, buy having a few more meatless meals a month.
Jackie, I don't really have a recipe - I just prepare the lentil taco filling as you would if using ground meat - cook them separately then mix in the taco seasoning. Add it to your taco shells (crunchy or soft) then add your shredded lettuce and cheese and whatever other toppings you want.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Thanks. I will give this a try this winter.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Well, for all my "frugalness", it is my birthday month and I always buy myself something that I consider to be "rather extravagant" for both my birthday and Christmas. I just finished laying new flooring in my bedroom so I ordered myself some new area rugs, a 6-shelf shoe rack, a down alternative blanket, and a set of "dog steps" for my bedroom. I am TIRED of lifting the beagle onto the bed. She CAN get up there by herself - but at 1:30 a.m., she prefers to whine until I get up to help her.

I also bought two new lamps at Family Dollar yesterday for my bedside tables. I had none, only the floor lamp in the corner (no overhead lighting).

I decided against ordering new curtains - I have white shears that will due just fine - they just need to be tied up or hemmed at the one window so they won't touch the electric heater on those rare occasions when I turn it on.

Also got 3 new dressy winter sweaters for work - 2 from Shein and one from Walmart, and a package of 4 long-sleeve pullovers from Shein - also for work. And some new makeup from Walmart (not for my birthday - regular restock).

Of course I used an online coupon and will get 1.5% cash back via Inbox Dollars - but this still cost me a chunk of change - no regrets - and Happy Birthday to Me!

On a more responsible note, I had an appointment on Tuesday and got my will updated. I will change it again when I retire (Lord willing) but for now I need to provide care for my dogs if something happens to me - so the dogs and the house (with enough life insurance to pay it off and care for the dogs) go to DD. There is some additional life insurance for my son and DIL. I hate to think about being "gone" - but having things the way I want them is a big relief and gives me peace of mind. My lawyer said NO SKYDIVING for 2 weeks until my new will is signed. No problem, lol.

Have a plan in place (and the money set aside) for a "frugalish" Christmas. Keeping it simple - but with some nice gifts for all (just my kiddos, parents, and office mates) - UGH, have I mentioned I HATE office gift giving and would love it if it was a thing of the past? I'm just making "Christmas Toffee" and packaging it in pretty tins or boxes and putting several out in a common area and people can help themselves - NO individual gifts, except possibly for the person I directly oversee - but I don't know her well yet.

I need to do some cooking this coming weekend - back to work next Tuesday and I will need lunch food at the ready. I have more lentils for more lentil tacos and need to bake a bunch of sweet potatoes. Homemade mac & cheese on the horizon too - and some sort of broccoli/rice concoction.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Nothing is written in stone yet and I don't have a solid plan - right now this is just a thought, an idea, a concept...

But - based on how much I enjoyed my time off, how FAST it went, how stressful my job is - I am considering a no holds barred plan for a faster track to retirement. I have a lot of thinking on it to do, still.

I have a little more debt to pay off - nothing earth shattering - and once that is done My "planning to plan idea is that I want to increase my 403B contribution to 20% of my pay and work for 5 more years - that will put me at 63 - and yes, I know that is not the age when one can get the maximum of social security.

Also in my "planning to plan" is an idea to get a part time job someplace else after I leave my current position. There are all sorts of places within walking or short driving distance of home - Dollar Tree, a grocery store, many small businesses. I could also work at a tax-prep place during tax season as I have experience with that. Or - even take a less stressful position with my current employer.

There are a lot of options, and thankfully I don't have to decide anything right now - but boy do I feel ready to give up the rat race, the responsibility, the stress. Other than the debt, my expenses are relatively low and I can make them even lower. There are "costs of working" that I have now that I wouldn't have with a different job - hair, makeup, clothing...so that is also a consideration.

This is scary to think about to be sure so I am THANKFUL to have a good start toward financing retirement and a lot of different options. We will see what the next couple of years bring in terms of being able to pay off debt (almost there!!), increase retirement contributions, other job options, etc.

It is not work itself that I dislike - I enjoy working and am a hard worker - like I said, I'm ready to get off the roller coaster of my current position. I am not scared of living a simple, even humble life, I've been there and done that and am doing it now for the most part.

For now - tracking every dime I spend - where it goes and why - (I kind of always have but stepping it up as I need a real picture of what it costs me to live versus what I spend on non-necessities) and thinking, thinking, thinking...

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Shelia, I like your idea for an early "retirement lite" for a few years before the big thing. After this past year, I have sworn that's what I want to do as soon as I can.
Mackie
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

MackerelCat wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:37 pm Shelia, I like your idea for an early "retirement lite" for a few years before the big thing. After this past year, I have sworn that's what I want to do as soon as I can.
Mackie, I have been blessed to work for an organization that I LOVE for almost 20 years. However, I am in a very "corporate" type of position - and I do okay - BUT - it isn't ME! What kind of job IS me? Working out in the sun and wind and even rain, tying up grape vines (a seasonal job I did in my early 20's and my favorite job of all time).

I feel like I put on a false face every day that I dress up and go into that "business environment" and it's really getting to me - the responsibility, the pressure, the stress - all of it.

I am thinking that really I just want to get comfortable enough to "retire" from that - and go do something else. That something else is sure to pay FAR less and not come with the benefits - so the planning is very necessary to get to the point where that is okay to do. My needs are very basic and my wants are few to none - so it should be doable within the next 5 years.

I'm not eliminating the possibility that this won't work out - and that I'm going to have to stay where I am for up to TEN years - but it doesn't hurt to try to put the necessary things into place.

Charles M. Schultz