Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:07 am A nice bath sounds like a great idea Janet, thanks. DD just brought me some Tylenol. Once I get moving, it isn't as bad as the actual getting up and sitting back down. I am glad we got the 1 and a half hour ride and not the 2 hour. About 10 minutes before the end, my whole left leg from the knee (the knee I injured) up started to hurt - and by the time we got back to the farm, it was agony. I was not first in line, but I did speak up and ask to be the first helped off my horse and they did let me go first.
Avoid sitting too long at a time. Get up and move around after 20 min and avoid soft surfaces like a couch or chair. If you sit on a chair try to make it a firm one. You would be better off resting in bed and getting up frequently to move around. If you take a bath leave the door unlocked and tell your DD you are going in. You might have trouble getting up from the tub. Hope you feel better soon.
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I did the bill paying this morning. Thankfully, even with the aggressive debt payoff, I am more than a month ahead in terms of money in the checking account. So I have a bit of a cushion for what I anticipate to be a HUGE upcoming dental bill.

June was "spendy" what with the horseback riding, dinner out, tree removal. Planning to reel it in big time for July. There is no way that I need to spend more than $30/week on groceries and household items (includes pet food & treats - everything) with the amount of food already in this house. We have pastas, lentils, beans, instant potatoes, broth base, seasonings, frozen vegetables, a variety of canned goods, baking supplies, etc. So, that's the plan - $30 a week OR LESS in July. I did a big stock up on pet food in June, so it's very do-able.

I will be getting $200 for care of the boss's dogs this time 'round - that will all go right into the dental fund. I have about a $40 mileage reimbursement coming from work, that will also go into the fund, as will the $30-ish that I'm not spending at the grocery store each week. Where there's a will, there's a way!!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Trying to focus on zero waste with food and also with everything else.

A few days ago I purchased a couple pounds of cherries for $2.49 a pound, only to discover that I don't like the taste or the texture of fresh cherries. Nope, I guess I had never tried them before. I pitted and washed them all and turned them into cherry ice pops by blending them with just enough almond milk to make them "blendable" and just a tablespoon of sugar. Those I like. I had more than would fit into my ice pop molds so froze the rest in a container and it's "scoopable" - so will make a nice treat on a hot day.

Discovered a coffee canister full of ice cube in the freezer that I had forgotten about, so each of my house plants got a few ice cubes instead of the usual weekend watering.

I think I mentioned before that I sliced several peppers that I got from the "rescued produce" bin and froze them. I will use them in different things.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

DD and I are going to a new consignment shop today and I'm going to ask for an appointment to bring some things in. They take clothing and household items. I have 6 or so very nice items of clothing that I am no longer the right size to wear - they are in pristine condition and look brand new, so I'm hoping to make a few dollars that way.

My boss returns tomorrow after 11 days away and leaves again on the 10th for 2 weeks - so I'm looking at a dog care payment of about $750 or so - that is going right into the dental fund. I will be taking
$75 off DD's August rent for helping me - she has walked the dogs several times and gone over a couple of times by herself to give me a break.

I will be telling my boss that when 2021 is over I am done with dog care. As much as the extra money is wonderful, it is a lot and I'm ready to be done (it's been like - years, with a semi-break for a few years when I lived in the middle of nowhere because I was too far away and someone else had to do the nighttime shift - I still did morning, lunch time and after work, and another semi-break during the lockdown). DD wants to do it and I will be her back-up, instead of me doing it and she being my back-up. She actually does it BETTER than I do anyway, is more attentive to the dogs, plays with them, walks them, etc.and they respond better to her. I have showed her how to water the plants, garden, work the a/c, all the ropes.

DD also wants to start a dog walking and pet-sitting business to bring in some money while she takes online classes. If/when her unemployment ends, she doesn't want to do a "traditional" job right away - but also doesn't want to tap into her savings. She really only needs to make about $400 a month to cover her expenses, so hopefully that would pan out for her. I am considering temporarily lowering her rent when we get to that point - but I haven't told her that.

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:19 pm Trying to focus on zero waste with food and also with everything else.

A few days ago I purchased a couple pounds of cherries for $2.49 a pound, only to discover that I don't like the taste or the texture of fresh cherries. Nope, I guess I had never tried them before. I pitted and washed them all and turned them into cherry ice pops by blending them with just enough almond milk to make them "blendable" and just a tablespoon of sugar. Those I like. I had more than would fit into my ice pop molds so froze the rest in a container and it's "scoopable" - so will make a nice treat on a hot day.

Discovered a coffee canister full of ice cube in the freezer that I had forgotten about, so each of my house plants got a few ice cubes instead of the usual weekend watering.

I think I mentioned before that I sliced several peppers that I got from the "rescued produce" bin and froze them. I will use them in different things.
Sheila great frugal save with the cherry ice pops.

I personally love fresh cherries. However this year have decided not to buy them due to the cost.
Janet Alliesmama
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

HappyDaze wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:51 am DD and I are going to a new consignment shop today and I'm going to ask for an appointment to bring some things in. They take clothing and household items. I have 6 or so very nice items of clothing that I am no longer the right size to wear - they are in pristine condition and look brand new, so I'm hoping to make a few dollars that way.

My boss returns tomorrow after 11 days away and leaves again on the 10th for 2 weeks - so I'm looking at a dog care payment of about $750 or so - that is going right into the dental fund. I will be taking
$75 off DD's August rent for helping me - she has walked the dogs several times and gone over a couple of times by herself to give me a break.

I will be telling my boss that when 2021 is over I am done with dog care. As much as the extra money is wonderful, it is a lot and I'm ready to be done (it's been like - years, with a semi-break for a few years when I lived in the middle of nowhere because I was too far away and someone else had to do the nighttime shift - I still did morning, lunch time and after work, and another semi-break during the lockdown). DD wants to do it and I will be her back-up, instead of me doing it and she being my back-up. She actually does it BETTER than I do anyway, is more attentive to the dogs, plays with them, walks them, etc.and they respond better to her. I have showed her how to water the plants, garden, work the a/c, all the ropes.

DD also wants to start a dog walking and pet-sitting business to bring in some money while she takes online classes. If/when her unemployment ends, she doesn't want to do a "traditional" job right away - but also doesn't want to tap into her savings. She really only needs to make about $400 a month to cover her expenses, so hopefully that would pan out for her. I am considering temporarily lowering her rent when we get to that point - but I haven't told her that.
There was a young woman in my office who worked in advertising but started a dog walking business on the side in the morning before work and after work. She did so well that when she was laid off she was able to support herself while she got her real estate license. She now does both, the dog walking and the real estate.