Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Post by HappyDaze »

Today I stocked up on pet food, dog treats, toilet paper, dish soap, laundry soap, bleach. No food purchases are needed - I can go an additional week without buying groceries. The fresh produce is mostly used up but I have plenty of canned and frozen fruits and vegetables, rice, beans, oats, canned tomatoes, pasta, etc.

Bills are all paid and I made a 3x payment on the debt I'm currently tackling. My goal is to be DEBT FREE by the end of 2021 and that would make for no small accomplishment. Then I will start making "car payment" to myself - the more I can put down on a low mileage used car, the less I will pay in the long run.

Wish me luck, friends.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Today will involve cooking for lunches and dinners for the upcoming work week. I want to roast some sweet potatoes and white potatoes and make a vegetarian Shepard's pie with mashed potato topping - there are a lot of instant potatoes in this house that need to be used up and I have a variety of frozen vegetables.

It is just chilly enough that it will be nice to have the oven on, since all of the heat is off and windows are open (I'm big of open windows - April through November - or whenever I decide the heat needs to come back on).

DD will not be paying her share of the utility bill this time around. I had care of my boss's dogs for a couple of days a week or so ago and DD did nearly all of it but refused to take payment. I finally talked her into taking her utility share off her next payment - it comes out about the same.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:11 pm Today I stocked up on pet food, dog treats, toilet paper, dish soap, laundry soap, bleach. No food purchases are needed - I can go an additional week without buying groceries. The fresh produce is mostly used up but I have plenty of canned and frozen fruits and vegetables, rice, beans, oats, canned tomatoes, pasta, etc.

Bills are all paid and I made a 3x payment on the debt I'm currently tackling. My goal is to be DEBT FREE by the end of 2021 and that would make for no small accomplishment. Then I will start making "car payment" to myself - the more I can put down on a low mileage used car, the less I will pay in the long run.

Wish me luck, friends.
Good luck! Debt free by the end of this year would be FANTASTIC!!!!!
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Yesterday morning, early, I went to the grocery store. I go, if not every week, every-other week, so I should be used to this - but I about lost my mind from sticker shock!

I ended up just "cherry picking" a few things - two bags of salad mix, 2 lb. of strawberries, 5 lb. of carrots, 2 loaves of bread from the discounted bakery rack ($1 each - into the freezer), 2 boxes of cereal ($1.99 for one, $1.49 for the other and I had a coupon for $1 off two).

I did SPLURGE of a carton of vegan coffee creamer and a pound of plant butter - YIKES, about $4 for each of those.

There was nothing on the rescued produce rack and no markdowns - I guess I picked a bad day/time to go. It's all good, I can eat for "forever" with the food that's already in this house but wow - the high prices make me so concerned for people trying to feed families, who maybe don't have the knowledge about buying healthy food, meal planning, using leftovers, cooking from scratch, etc.

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:34 am Yesterday morning, early, I went to the grocery store. I go, if not every week, every-other week, so I should be used to this - but I about lost my mind from sticker shock!

I ended up just "cherry picking" a few things - two bags of salad mix, 2 lb. of strawberries, 5 lb. of carrots, 2 loaves of bread from the discounted bakery rack ($1 each - into the freezer), 2 boxes of cereal ($1.99 for one, $1.49 for the other and I had a coupon for $1 off two).

I did SPLURGE of a carton of vegan coffee creamer and a pound of plant butter - YIKES, about $4 for each of those.

There was nothing on the rescued produce rack and no markdowns - I guess I picked a bad day/time to go. It's all good, I can eat for "forever" with the food that's already in this house but wow - the high prices make me so concerned for people trying to feed families, who maybe don't have the knowledge about buying healthy food, meal planning, using leftovers, cooking from scratch, etc.
I know exactly what you mean. We rarely if ever have real markdowns for meat, fruit, veggies or dairy here. I need to carefully shop the sales, and lately have been regularly donating to the Food Bank in the city.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:14 am I know exactly what you mean. We rarely if ever have real markdowns for meat, fruit, veggies or dairy here. I need to carefully shop the sales, and lately have been regularly donating to the Food Bank in the city.
Jackie, do you have manufacturers coupons in Canada? I rarely use them anymore - it's different than it used to be - I used to be able to clean up with coupons - bring home a huge haul at around 50% off - not anymore.

My daughter donated some things to our local pantry. She had "prepped" for the end of the world and I finally said some of it had to get out of here and get donated. We also both volunteer whenever there is a drive-through food distribution in our town, putting things like milk, cereal, etc. into boxes that will be loaded into the cars, sorting fruit into bags, etc.

There is a local organization that used to offer classes on budget cooking, shopping, etc. - but I don't know that they're doing it now - and don't know that they were ever really reaching the folks who needed the classes the most. It's very worrying.

Charles M. Schultz