Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Post by HappyDaze »

SandiSAHM wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:52 pm 1. Dental insurance... almost as useless, much of the time, as vision insurance! Outside of routine stuff and braces, you may as well be on your own.

2. Zero? Is that because of some state law or something? I've never heard of a $0 deductible for homeowner's insurance. If anything I've been encouraged to have higher deductibles (which keeps the ins co from having to pay for 'little' things, but most little things we wouldn't file a claim for anyway, so why not keep it higher?) Have you shopped your coverage?
I looked up the nuts and bolts of my dental plan today. It says it will cover 60% of the cost of a replacement crown for an in-network dentist and 40% for an out-of-network dentist if the crown is over 10 years old and not functional. MINE FELL OUT, for crying out loud.

I do use an out-of-network dentist so I'm not going to get the higher amount - but I should get something. Maybe they need documentation of when I had the original crown done or something - I'm going to sure as heck find out!

Luckily, my vision insurance ROCKS! I wear $400+ no line bifocals and I pay $20 out of pocket for the exam and completely new lenses and frames - every year! I can get prescription sun glasses on alternate years if I want.

The insurance deductible is a requirement of my mortgage company - not the insurance company - so it wouldn't matter what insurance company I used - and I really like the one I have - cheap homeowners and very cheap auto - less than $24 a month for the auto.

I am anxious to see how this all plays out. UGH.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I'm returning the pantsuit I bought - it is the "right size" but the pants are LOOOONG - I would have to wear 10 inch heals to keep them from dragging on the ground - and I can't find anyone who does alterations. I will have to have a $9.95 "return label usage fee" deducted from my refund - ugh.

I need to check with the local consignment store and see how much credit I have and maybe pick up a couple of items.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:19 am Well, as discussed, today's goal is the OPPOSITE of saving or increasing income - it's a spender. I'll be getting the estimate to have the garage cleaned out. But - when I think of the peace of mind I'll have when it's done - it's a win.

I include this goal here because I still see it as a "money goal" - it's just that the money will be leaving instead of staying.
Well worth the money, we had it done years ago.

We hired out handyman, he had us get a dumpster and then he tossed, he was so cool, he had me going though boxes ect, but helped me to be ruthless.

Then DH bought a car and now it's full again, between the car and STUFF !!!

But well worth it, enjoy.

IC
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I returned the too baggy, too expensive pantsuit and ordered two too expensive pairs of work pants. When it comes to pants, I would rather pay more and have great fitting, high quality items - I don't mind going with cheaper, even "thrift store" items for tops. If there was a decent thrift store around here, I would be looking there for pants too. There are a couple of new smaller thrift stores/consignment shops - I haven't had any luck at those.

Got a big raise and "promotion" (change of title with more responsibility, LOL) at work. It doesn't bring me to what I would have made at the "job I didn't get" - but meets about half way. I am left wondering if they only feel it was deserved - or if they found out I interviewed elsewhere. Either way - I'm thankful for it.

Grocery prices are out of sight - doing more cooking from scratch again, especially as we head into the fall season.

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Sheila congrats on the raise and promotion. I think you mentioned that when you were considering the other job you had more cons than pros for it so maybe this works out somewhat better for you.
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:53 am I returned the too baggy, too expensive pantsuit and ordered two too expensive pairs of work pants. When it comes to pants, I would rather pay more and have great fitting, high quality items - I don't mind going with cheaper, even "thrift store" items for tops. If there was a decent thrift store around here, I would be looking there for pants too. There are a couple of new smaller thrift stores/consignment shops - I haven't had any luck at those.

Got a big raise and "promotion" (change of title with more responsibility, LOL) at work. It doesn't bring me to what I would have made at the "job I didn't get" - but meets about half way. I am left wondering if they only feel it was deserved - or if they found out I interviewed elsewhere. Either way - I'm thankful for it.

Grocery prices are out of sight - doing more cooking from scratch again, especially as we head into the fall season.
Congratulations on the raise and promotion. You certainly deserve it.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/