Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Post by HappyDaze »

Yesterday was very expensive but all planned for and I had the funds set aside. The tree removal guy came early in the morning and I paid $150 to have the tree removed that was growing down into my cellar.

Horseback riding was $195 for the 3 of us - I gave the lady $200 and told her not to worry about the $5. Then I took the kiddos to dinner (outdoor dining) which was $54 - I don't think that is terrible for 3 people with the amount of food we ordered - plus milkshakes. I would rather eat out very rarely and pay more to have a very nice meal than have fast food, etc. frequently - so that's how I do it.

DD's boyfriend did all the driving and would not take any money for gas, I wish he would have but he won't - so okay. They did their grocery shopping late last evening and wouldn't take money for the Gatorade I asked them to get either. They're good kids (they are far from kids but you know what I mean).

Time to tighten the frugal belt back up. No regrets though - we had such a wonderful time yesterday, it was well worth it. I don't take vacations or buy clothes, get my nails done, etc. so these kinds of days once or twice a year are my splurges.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:09 am Yesterday was very expensive but all planned for and I had the funds set aside. The tree removal guy came early in the morning and I paid $150 to have the tree removed that was growing down into my cellar.

Horseback riding was $195 for the 3 of us - I gave the lady $200 and told her not to worry about the $5. Then I took the kiddos to dinner (outdoor dining) which was $54 - I don't think that is terrible for 3 people with the amount of food we ordered - plus milkshakes. I would rather eat out very rarely and pay more to have a very nice meal than have fast food, etc. frequently - so that's how I do it.

DD's boyfriend did all the driving and would not take any money for gas, I wish he would have but he won't - so okay. They did their grocery shopping late last evening and wouldn't take money for the Gatorade I asked them to get either. They're good kids (they are far from kids but you know what I mean).

Time to tighten the frugal belt back up. No regrets though - we had such a wonderful time yesterday, it was well worth it. I don't take vacations or buy clothes, get my nails done, etc. so these kinds of days once or twice a year are my splurges.
Sheila.. sounds like you had a great time.. I like your theory of spending on quality time instead of spending here and there

I use to go horseback riding all the time when I was younger but those days are gone.. Glad you are still able to enjoy such a fun activity.

The tree removal does not sound as bad as some people have had to pay so glad you were a able to have it done at a reasonable price.
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:09 am Yesterday was very expensive but all planned for and I had the funds set aside. The tree removal guy came early in the morning and I paid $150 to have the tree removed that was growing down into my cellar.

Sounds like a wonderful day (even though you are sore today). We don't eat out often either and usually any vacation we have is to a cabin where we cook our own meals...Our splurge is travel when we can do so. Having a great meal once in awhile is much better than buying fast food many times in a month. Better for the waistline as well.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Janet, I was afraid that the tree removal would be much more expensive than it was. The way my body is feeling right now, I am questioning whether or not I will go horseback riding again.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:50 am Janet, I was afraid that the tree removal would be much more expensive than it was. The way my body is feeling right now, I am questioning whether or not I will go horseback riding again.

I feel your pain. That is one reason I can never ride again. It was frustrating when I decided to give it up because my brother had 4 horses and 122 acres for me to ride on. However you did have a good day and a great memory you shared with your DD and her SO. Maybe some kind of a carriage ride in the future or even a long boat ride? Not sure if you have that anywhere in your area?

How about a nice long soak in a tub with Epsom salt if you have any. Also be sure to take something like aspirin or Tylenol. Do not make the water too hot because too hot can cause more muscle spams.. No more than 104 F is what we use to recommend. Hot feels good but it can also cause a rebound affect. Same with a heating pad.. Too hot, too long is not good, 20 to 30 min, maybe 3 to 4 time a day. Take care.
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:59 am I feel your pain. That is one reason I can never ride again. It was frustrating when I decided to give it up because my brother had 4 horses and 122 acres for me to ride on. However you did have a good day and a great memory you shared with your DD and her SO. Maybe some kind of a carriage ride in the future or even a long boat ride? Not sure if you have that anywhere in your area?

How about a nice long soak in a tub with Epsom salt if you have any. Also be sure to take something like aspirin or Tylenol. Do not make the water too hot because too hot can cause more muscle spams.. No more than 104 F is what we use to recommend. Hot feels good but it can also cause a rebound affect. Same with a heating pad.. Too hot, too long is not good, 20 to 30 min, maybe 3 to 4 time a day. Take care.
A nice bath sounds like a great idea Janet, thanks. DD just brought me some Tylenol. Once I get moving, it isn't as bad as the actual getting up and sitting back down. I am glad we got the 1 and a half hour ride and not the 2 hour. About 10 minutes before the end, my whole left leg from the knee (the knee I injured) up started to hurt - and by the time we got back to the farm, it was agony. I was not first in line, but I did speak up and ask to be the first helped off my horse and they did let me go first.

Charles M. Schultz