Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:41 am As this is "spring cleaning weekend" at my house, I spent a bit yesterday on cleaning supplies (4 gallons of vinegar, sponges, etc.) and some things to "freshen up" the house -- new shower curtain rings, some plastic bins to hold shampoos, etc. in the shower (DD had her "products" lined up all along the side of the tub - NO, NO, NO!!).

I got a lavender essential oil and a lemon one - I like to put some on cotton balls and tuck them behind curtains in each room.

Upon cleaning out the freezer, I ended up throwing out 4 jars of soup that have been in there "forever" and I just did not want to eat. UGH - I hate it when I think I'm being frugal - and then I'm not. I will be more mindful of not making enough soup, etc. for an army in the future.
BTDT as well. I do find it hard not to make soup or soup stock enough to feed a small army though.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I made an appointment to get the remaining female cat spayed. Can't get her in until May 3. They said if she is "expecting" they will take care of it and it will cost me $30 more. UGH. I hate that - but better than bringing more kittens into the world. The total bill, with rabies shot will be about $165. They said she can stay there for a couple days at no extra charge. Normally they go home same day with instructions to keep them in a safe, quiet place in the house. I told them she is a stray, lives outside, has no safe, quiet place - so they readily agreed to let her spend her recovery time there. Thankful.

The 3 male cats go after that - should cost less for both that the one female. I kind of hate that the universe has put this on me - again - but better than becoming overrun with critters.

The utility bill that just came is down almost $40. I'm thinking my daughter didn't like paying so much and turned her heat down a bit.

Another upcoming expense - a couple weeks after my second vaccine, I want to schedule a professional hair cut/color. It's been a LONG time and my hair is a mess - so I figure $75-ish for that. If I didn't work, I would be forever content with a comb and a pony tail - but not suitable for the office.

So much for an update - spend, spend spend...
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:38 am I made an appointment to get the remaining female cat spayed. Can't get her in until May 3. They said if she is "expecting" they will take care of it and it will cost me $30 more. UGH. I hate that - but better than bringing more kittens into the world. The total bill, with rabies shot will be about $165. They said she can stay there for a couple days at no extra charge. Normally they go home same day with instructions to keep them in a safe, quiet place in the house. I told them she is a stray, lives outside, has no safe, quiet place - so they readily agreed to let her spend her recovery time there. Thankful.

The 3 male cats go after that - should cost less for both that the one female. I kind of hate that the universe has put this on me - again - but better than becoming overrun with critters.

The utility bill that just came is down almost $40. I'm thinking my daughter didn't like paying so much and turned her heat down a bit.

Another upcoming expense - a couple weeks after my second vaccine, I want to schedule a professional hair cut/color. It's been a LONG time and my hair is a mess - so I figure $75-ish for that. If I didn't work, I would be forever content with a comb and a pony tail - but not suitable for the office.

So much for an update - spend, spend spend...
Sheila you are an amazing woman that has gone beyond what a lot of people would do to take care of animals that are not yours. Kudos to you. I do hope the girl cat does not have any kittens before you can get her in to be spayed. Why does it take that long of a wait?
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Janet, they think it will be okay - and that she won't have kittens by May 3. They said the time varies between 58 and 64 days - ugh. The wait is because (they said) they are getting "a ton" of calls from people wanting the same thing - spays and neuters for stray cats.

My daughter called the SPCA about a clinic that is lower cost - they have no more room and the next one isn't until June.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:22 am Janet, they think it will be okay - and that she won't have kittens by May 3. They said the time varies between 58 and 64 days - ugh. The wait is because (they said) they are getting "a ton" of calls from people wanting the same thing - spays and neuters for stray cats.

My daughter called the SPCA about a clinic that is lower cost - they have no more room and the next one isn't until June.

Glad to hear so many people are being proactive in getting cat neutered. God bless them and you for your efforts.
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:27 am Glad to hear so many people are being proactive in getting cat neutered. God bless them and you for your efforts.
It's more selfish on my part, Janet - due to the alternative being more cats hanging around - and that isn't healthy or safe for the neighborhood - and could potentially get me into some trouble. I don't want the "crazy cat lady" reputation, lol. I really see it in the sense that I do not have another option.

My daughter, who is more passionate about animals than I am, offered to help pay - but I told her I can cover it - just keep paying her rent.

Charles M. Schultz