Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Post by HappyDaze »

I treated myself and my daughter to a takeout meal last night. She was so much help getting my dogs to the Vet for their nail trims - and no, I didn't "have to" - but I wanted to. That won't happen again for eons - but I'm glad I did it - she was thrilled. We ordered from a new "burger joint" - they have a veggie burger. The food is amazing and the portions are HUGE. It's a bit on the expensive side in my mind, but it's okay.

I also knocked $$ off her rent for March - because she was so much help getting my car going so I could get it inspected. Again, I didn't have to, I wanted to.

Will get bills paid today and "balance the budget". I may or may not make a trip to the grocery store(s) this weekend - I really should - but I'm not feeling like it at this moment.

Looking forward to spring and not having to run the heat - then of course the lawn mowing starts so it's really spending MORE money. I need to ask the company a couple questions - #1, will they give me a discount if I pay a lump sum up front for the whole season and #2, if they won't do that - will then mow a little less - they seem to do it much more often than is really necessary.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Like you, Shelia, I am really waiting for spring and all it brings. Been lucky the past couple of days as it has been sunny and above freezing. Perfect for having the drapes open and using solar heat on the front of the house. Any time the furnace isn't running is a plus in my books.

So far I have used up a few of those ready made meals and will be using up still more next week. I am so glad that I had them ready to go.

This not being able to go anywhere is saving me my allowance. I have no where to spend it and so will be putting a large chunk of cash into the envelope again this week. I have enough to buy that dressmaking form but need to make a space for it in my sewing/craft room. Though I may order it while youngest DS is home and just store it until room is made?????

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

DD gave me a check yesterday for her March rent and February utilities - minus the discount I applied because of all the help she has given me. She knows that if it isn't paid by the 10th, it goes up $100 (mama wasn't messing around when we entered into this agreement) because I have to pay the utility bill by then - and with her using the electric and water, that bill has increased by more than 50%.

Before grocery shopping today, I will put the utility payment in their drop box and put a couple other bills in the mail (I hate writing checks and mailing them to pay bills but companies like the trash collector and snow plow people don't have other options). I could walk the electric payment over on my break from work - but I know I won't want to - so - no.

My brother might stop by today with is air compressor, check the air in my tires and add some. They are not looking flat by any means but every winter my tire light comes on because they do loose a little air. That will save me a few bucks at the service station (they charge $1.50 for 3 minutes of air) and give us a nice visit (masked, outside).

I will let y'all know how the grocery shopping goes - I am hoping to find some bargains - but they are harder to find these days. Feeding myself is more expensive when I'm not motivated to do a lot of cooking from scratch - and that has certainly been the case lately. I wish MOTIVATION came in a vaccine - I would take it!

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

As much as I love to leave my bank account balance alone and just STARE at it, I paid bills this morning and watched it go "down, down, down". Happily, I am finally in a situation where my checking account is "one month ahead" and that is a great feeling to not be "paycheck to paycheck".

I have been pretty lax with doing online surveys for the past couple of weeks. It's fine - the motivation decreases from time to time - it will be back. I really like seeing those little deposits going into my bank account or to PayPal or on my Amazon gift card.

I am really in need of a good hair cut and color - but will wait until a few weeks after my second COVID vaccine. My daughter trimmed my hair a couple weeks ago and that bought me some time. The out of pocket for the professional cut/color will probably be in the $70 range - but it's been a year and a half so it's fine.

I feel like I need some new work clothing too - but will wait until I get out my spring/summer items and see if maybe this "need" is just a "want".

I'm pleased with my budgeting/spending so far this year and hope to be able to continue on a good path for the remainder of 2021. I have "splurged" a bit recently on supplies for cake pops and a takeout meal for DD and me - but to "never" splurge - that's not good either.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:43 am
As much as I love to leave my bank account balance alone and just STARE at it, I paid bills this morning and watched it go "down, down, down". Happily, I am finally in a situation where my checking account is "one month ahead" and that is a great feeling to not be "paycheck to paycheck".

I have been pretty lax with doing online surveys for the past couple of weeks. It's fine - the motivation decreases from time to time - it will be back. I really like seeing those little deposits going into my bank account or to PayPal or on my Amazon gift card.

I am really in need of a good hair cut and color - but will wait until a few weeks after my second COVID vaccine. My daughter trimmed my hair a couple weeks ago and that bought me some time. The out of pocket for the professional cut/color will probably be in the $70 range - but it's been a year and a half so it's fine.

I feel like I need some new work clothing too - but will wait until I get out my spring/summer items and see if maybe this "need" is just a "want".

I'm pleased with my budgeting/spending so far this year and hope to be able to continue on a good path for the remainder of 2021. I have "splurged" a bit recently on supplies for cake pops and a takeout meal for DD and me - but to "never" splurge - that's not good either.

Sheila congrats on getting ahead on banking. I know you have been putting extra payments where you are able to so that is a good accomplishment to be able to do both. To me being frugal is not about being cheap to the point of no enjoyment it means saving money somewhere else where able and using it to have a splurge for enjoyment. So many people spurge too much on credit cards and then later have a reality check that they have done too much. Enjoy making your cake pops and your hair cut and coloring you have earned them both.
Janet Alliesmama

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

As this is "spring cleaning weekend" at my house, I spent a bit yesterday on cleaning supplies (4 gallons of vinegar, sponges, etc.) and some things to "freshen up" the house -- new shower curtain rings, some plastic bins to hold shampoos, etc. in the shower (DD had her "products" lined up all along the side of the tub - NO, NO, NO!!).

I got a lavender essential oil and a lemon one - I like to put some on cotton balls and tuck them behind curtains in each room.

Upon cleaning out the freezer, I ended up throwing out 4 jars of soup that have been in there "forever" and I just did not want to eat. UGH - I hate it when I think I'm being frugal - and then I'm not. I will be more mindful of not making enough soup, etc. for an army in the future.