Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Post by HappyDaze »

I took Hope for her allergy shot yesterday - A HUNDRED AND FOUR DOLLARS!!! I am rather disgruntled at being charged for an office visit and exam ($64) when there was NO exam involved - and we were in and out in 5 minutes. I am thinking it would do no good to protest. Next time I need to remember to request a "lobby shot" - they will come to the waiting room and give the shot and not charge for the office visit/exam if you request it. I wasn't thinking and I paid for my error.

Just back from the grocery store. Total was $69.84 before coupons, $24.70 after (this includes $4.10 in bottle returns - more on that later). I got some marked down items including 6 packs of yogurt for $2.09 (expires next Thursday - I will freeze what I don't eat for smoothies), half a dozen donuts for $1.49, bags of shredded cabbage for .75 cents. I had a $2 off coupon for a "meat substitute" product that is usually $5.49 but was marked down to $3.99 so that was a good deal.

The bottle returns. DD and her SO both buy a good bit of canned and bottled drinks - water, sparkling water, beer, soda, seltzer, tea, etc. and they just put the empties in the recycling - THEY NEVER RETURN THEM. When the recycling goes out to the garage, I separate them into their own box and take a couple bags full back to the store every time I go. Money off my grocery bill. I do not understand this behavior - my ex was the same way - threw all his soda cans in the trash. I never buy these items but it's my pleasure to get the money for the empties that others can't be bothered to redeem. $4.10 in my pocket (well, off my grocery bill) today.

I took some more clothing to the consignment shop this morning and some less-nice clothing to the donation bin at the Catholic Church. Did some housecleaning - both here and at my boss's house. I like to vacuum up the dog hair and make things really nice before she comes home.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

HappyDaze wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:11 pm I took Hope for her allergy shot yesterday - A HUNDRED AND FOUR DOLLARS!!! I am rather disgruntled at being charged for an office visit and exam ($64) when there was NO exam involved - and we were in and out in 5 minutes. I am thinking it would do no good to protest. Next time I need to remember to request a "lobby shot" - they will come to the waiting room and give the shot and not charge for the office visit/exam if you request it. I wasn't thinking and I paid for my error.

Just back from the grocery store. Total was $69.84 before coupons, $24.70 after (this includes $4.10 in bottle returns - more on that later). I got some marked down items including 6 packs of yogurt for $2.09 (expires next Thursday - I will freeze what I don't eat for smoothies), half a dozen donuts for $1.49, bags of shredded cabbage for .75 cents. I had a $2 off coupon for a "meat substitute" product that is usually $5.49 but was marked down to $3.99 so that was a good deal.

The bottle returns. DD and her SO both buy a good bit of canned and bottled drinks - water, sparkling water, beer, soda, seltzer, tea, etc. and they just put the empties in the recycling - THEY NEVER RETURN THEM. When the recycling goes out to the garage, I separate them into their own box and take a couple bags full back to the store every time I go. Money off my grocery bill. I do not understand this behavior - my ex was the same way - threw all his soda cans in the trash. I never buy these items but it's my pleasure to get the money for the empties that others can't be bothered to redeem. $4.10 in my pocket (well, off my grocery bill) today.

I took some more clothing to the consignment shop this morning and some less-nice clothing to the donation bin at the Catholic Church. Did some housecleaning - both here and at my boss's house. I like to vacuum up the dog hair and make things really nice before she comes home.
Your vet should not have charged for the exam IMO. They know better and I don’t believe it should be up to you to ask for the lobby shot.

I am lucky that for Pippi’s fluids and B12 shot, the vet lets me buy the fluid ($24.50 for about a month) and charges $16.80 for the vet nurses to give it to her each time. At first it was $39 per visit when I used their fluid. They suggested this way to save which was nice. (Of course if I did it at home I could save more but this is easiest for me.)

We do not have $ for can and bottle returns in Florida but I would do exactly as you are doing with your DD and SO’s cans and bottles. I have returned them to grocery stores in Massachusetts back in the day when I was addicted to diet soda and I was on vacation.

You are doing great with your savings and debt repayment!
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

floridacatlover wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:27 am Your vet should not have charged for the exam IMO. They know better and I don’t believe it should be up to you to ask for the lobby shot.

I am lucky that for Pippi’s fluids and B12 shot, the vet lets me buy the fluid ($24.50 for about a month) and charges $16.80 for the vet nurses to give it to her each time. At first it was $39 per visit when I used their fluid. They suggested this way to save which was nice. (Of course if I did it at home I could save more but this is easiest for me.)

We do not have $ for can and bottle returns in Florida but I would do exactly as you are doing with your DD and SO’s cans and bottles. I have returned them to grocery stores in Massachusetts back in the day when I was addicted to diet soda and I was on vacation.

You are doing great with your savings and debt repayment!
Floridacat, thank you for your encouraging words - it means a lot! The charge at the Vet - for something I did not receive - and a bitter pill to swallow. I'm needing to make a rabies shot appointment for my other dog, Lucy, soon - and I"m going to let them know I wasn't happy about this. I don't think they care - they have way more business than they can handle - but it will make me feel better.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I have a new "iron in the fire" so to speak. When I took clothing to the new consignment shop in town, they said that if I have any sort of craft that I make, they would take a look and consider it for consignment. Of course I thought "Don't do it" - but I'm doing it. After doing extensive research online to come up with something easy and not too expensive to make, I decided on coasters, made from 4x4 ceramic tiles. There are a lot of complicated and more pricey options (glitter, resin, etc.) that can be made but I'm starting with simple ones, done with scrapbook paper and Mod Podge.

My initial investment is only $7.58, thanks to gift cards earned from surveys covering the rest of the $40 cost for the initial supplies. I'm not putting any more money into it until we see if they will sell. I'm starting small, making just 8 sets of 4 coasters. If this works out, I can get the tiles cheaper at Lowes or Home Depot - about .18 cents each - I paid a little more for the convenience of getting them online and using the gift cards I had.

I'm not looking at this as a "get rich quick" venture or anything of the sort - but if I can make a little profit, figuring in my cost per coaster and the cut that the consignment shop will take, it could be fun to do. I am not afraid of failing - if you don't try, you don't know. Worst case scenario, I will have some pretty coasters to give as gifts, at a minimal cost.

I plan to tie the coasters, in sets of 4, together with pretty ribbon and maybe package them in cellophane. I might start with some fall themed and Halloween themed ones and see how that goes. If it is something that will sell, the hairdresser I go to also sells a lot of things on consignment, so that is another idea.

Wish me luck friends. Have I gone round the bend? Nah...just time to try something different and see how it goes. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:18 am I have a new "iron in the fire" so to speak. When I took clothing to the new consignment shop in town, they said that if I have any sort of craft that I make, they would take a look and consider it for consignment. Of course I thought "Don't do it" - but I'm doing it. After doing extensive research online to come up with something easy and not too expensive to make, I decided on coasters, made from 4x4 ceramic tiles. There are a lot of complicated and more pricey options (glitter, resin, etc.) that can be made but I'm starting with simple ones, done with scrapbook paper and Mod Podge.

My initial investment is only $7.58, thanks to gift cards earned from surveys covering the rest of the $40 cost for the initial supplies. I'm not putting any more money into it until we see if they will sell. I'm starting small, making just 8 sets of 4 coasters. If this works out, I can get the tiles cheaper at Lowes or Home Depot - about .18 cents each - I paid a little more for the convenience of getting them online and using the gift cards I had.

I'm not looking at this as a "get rich quick" venture or anything of the sort - but if I can make a little profit, figuring in my cost per coaster and the cut that the consignment shop will take, it could be fun to do. I am not afraid of failing - if you don't try, you don't know. Worst case scenario, I will have some pretty coasters to give as gifts, at a minimal cost.

I plan to tie the coasters, in sets of 4, together with pretty ribbon and maybe package them in cellophane. I might start with some fall themed and Halloween themed ones and see how that goes. If it is something that will sell, the hairdresser I go to also sells a lot of things on consignment, so that is another idea.

Wish me luck friends. Have I gone round the bend? Nah...just time to try something different and see how it goes. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Good luck Sheila. Sounds like a wonderful idea and a great way to make a little bit extra money. You go girl!
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:39 am Good luck Sheila. Sounds like a wonderful idea and a great way to make a little bit extra money. You go girl!
Thank you, Janet. I am excited to try and will be happy that I did, no matter the outcome.

Charles M. Schultz