Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
Jackielou

Re: Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:18 am I have a new "iron in the fire" so to speak. When I took clothing to the new consignment shop in town, they said that if I have any sort of craft that I make, they would take a look and consider it for consignment. Of course I thought "Don't do it" - but I'm doing it. After doing extensive research online to come up with something easy and not too expensive to make, I decided on coasters, made from 4x4 ceramic tiles. There are a lot of complicated and more pricey options (glitter, resin, etc.) that can be made but I'm starting with simple ones, done with scrapbook paper and Mod Podge.

My initial investment is only $7.58, thanks to gift cards earned from surveys covering the rest of the $40 cost for the initial supplies. I'm not putting any more money into it until we see if they will sell. I'm starting small, making just 8 sets of 4 coasters. If this works out, I can get the tiles cheaper at Lowes or Home Depot - about .18 cents each - I paid a little more for the convenience of getting them online and using the gift cards I had.

I'm not looking at this as a "get rich quick" venture or anything of the sort - but if I can make a little profit, figuring in my cost per coaster and the cut that the consignment shop will take, it could be fun to do. I am not afraid of failing - if you don't try, you don't know. Worst case scenario, I will have some pretty coasters to give as gifts, at a minimal cost.

I plan to tie the coasters, in sets of 4, together with pretty ribbon and maybe package them in cellophane. I might start with some fall themed and Halloween themed ones and see how that goes. If it is something that will sell, the hairdresser I go to also sells a lot of things on consignment, so that is another idea.

Wish me luck friends. Have I gone round the bend? Nah...just time to try something different and see how it goes. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Sounds like a very interesting new sideline. As you said "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Sounds like a fun project! Good luck!
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Today I had to take Lucy, my Beagle/Basset mix to the vet for her rabies booster. I remembered to ask for the "shot only" when I made the appointment, so a tech gave her the shot in the lobby and I was only charged $25. Otherwise they would have put us in an exam room and it would have cost $89.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:38 pm Today I had to take Lucy, my Beagle/Basset mix to the vet for her rabies booster. I remembered to ask for the "shot only" when I made the appointment, so a tech gave her the shot in the lobby and I was only charged $25. Otherwise they would have put us in an exam room and it would have cost $89.
Glad you remembered to ask for "shot only" and did not have to pay the extra charge.
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:00 pm Glad you remembered to ask for "shot only" and did not have to pay the extra charge.
Lesson learned - I don't think I'll ever forget again again - OUCH!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Yesterday was spendy but all planned and/or necessary. Early morning was a trip to a new bakery in town with Hope - they let dogs in and have a little menu of items just for them. They took Hope's picture and she is on their social media. :-)

I got my hair done after that - color and cut - I had her take a couple inches off. That was $60 plus $15 tip.

Went to Tractor Supply for a huge stock up on pet food and some treats. Speaking of treats, we have discovered that my dog and my daughter's dog would just as soon have a piece of frozen broccoli - so yeah!!

Went to Family Dollar and did a big stock up on bathroom tissue (sale/coupons - I hoarded it BEFORE and pandemic and will continue to do so), 4 deodorants (sale/coupons), 4 laundry soaps (sale/coupons).

Then to two grocery stores for the regular haul - bananas,salad kits, almond milk, bagels, the whole nine, plus did a big stock up on canned goods from Save A Lot, got a huge container of baking cocoa because I haven't been able to find it for awhile, etc.

Total spend was over $300 - but it had to be done - critters and people have to eat, etc., lol.

Charles M. Schultz