Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:05 pm I said goodbye to $915 hard earned dollars at the dentist today - but feel fortunate that my insurance is paying $845 of the total cost.

Eating from the pantry, frige and freezer - in this hot weather I don't feel like eating so much. Going to try to continue this through all of next week - those times when I have a "skip a week" on grocery shopping save some serious money.

Made a tater tot casserole in the slow cooker on Sunday and finished the last of it last night. I have a lot of frozen fruit and yogurt so I'm thinking a big smoothie for my evening meal, especially since my mouth isn't feeling all that great from the dental thing - kind of like somebody sucker punched me, lol.
Bummer on the dental cost but it is a necessary thing for overall good health. Good that you had some insurance coverage.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:42 pm I just signed up for a Walmart beauty box subscription and paid with a gift card earned from doing surveys - plus will get 1.5% cash back from Inboxdollars. A nice little treat coming in the mail for "free" - 4x a year. I'll take it! :-)
That is great Sheila. Enjoy your beauty treatments.
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:42 pm I just signed up for a Walmart beauty box subscription and paid with a gift card earned from doing surveys - plus will get 1.5% cash back from Inboxdollars. A nice little treat coming in the mail for "free" - 4x a year. I'll take it! :-)
Ohhh, let us know what you get in your box please.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Jackielou wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:43 am Ohhh, let us know what you get in your box please.
Will do, Jackie, I'll do a little review. I looked at reviews online before signing up - very mixed. Some people raved about it and others had opposite comments - so we will see.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I spent some money, friends, on new clothing. I was all budget for and is paid for, and necessary, so no regrets.

Last week I ordered a good "interview suit" from Dillards (not just for interviews - I can wear to work whether I get the new job or stay at my current job - and the jacket and slacks can both be worn separately and with other things). This cost more than I think I have EVER paid for an outfit but I have ZERO buyers remorse. I needed it, I wanted it, I bought it, end of story.

I also ordered 4 pairs of shoes from the "shoe show" website - (I put in shoe department dot com and shoe show came up). These were also VERY needed and will be well used and go with multiple outfits. The 4 pairs of shoes (all on sale) came to about one third the cost of the suit.

The place where I currently work has a fairly casual dress code - so I will need a few more things if I get the new job. I will rely heavily on a couple of thrift stores and consignment shops for those if need be.

I have been working on a list of "pros and cons" of leaving my current job - just in case. So far 9 "pros", 17 "cons" - yikes! One of the "cons" is the commute - while not terrible, it's about (guessing) an 8 mile drive, versus being ONE mile from my current job - and it is very walkable. Also the needing new clothing is a con - anyway, I won't bore you with the whole list - but another would be that I have a "sick leave payout" coming from my current job in October - of about $1,500 - which of course I won't receive if I leave.

I'm putting the cart before the horse - I haven't been offered the position yet - but I'm a "compulsive planner" and need to think it through ahead of time. I'm completely aware that I'm rambling like a fool so ending this now.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:34 am I spent some money, friends, on new clothing. I was all budget for and is paid for, and necessary, so no regrets.

Last week I ordered a good "interview suit" from Dillards (not just for interviews - I can wear to work whether I get the new job or stay at my current job - and the jacket and slacks can both be worn separately and with other things). This cost more than I think I have EVER paid for an outfit but I have ZERO buyers remorse. I needed it, I wanted it, I bought it, end of story.

I also ordered 4 pairs of shoes from the "shoe show" website - (I put in shoe department dot com and shoe show came up). These were also VERY needed and will be well used and go with multiple outfits. The 4 pairs of shoes (all on sale) came to about one third the cost of the suit.

The place where I currently work has a fairly casual dress code - so I will need a few more things if I get the new job. I will rely heavily on a couple of thrift stores and consignment shops for those if need be.

I have been working on a list of "pros and cons" of leaving my current job - just in case. So far 9 "pros", 17 "cons" - yikes! One of the "cons" is the commute - while not terrible, it's about (guessing) an 8 mile drive, versus being ONE mile from my current job - and it is very walkable. Also the needing new clothing is a con - anyway, I won't bore you with the whole list - but another would be that I have a "sick leave payout" coming from my current job in October - of about $1,500 - which of course I won't receive if I leave.

I'm putting the cart before the horse - I haven't been offered the position yet - but I'm a "compulsive planner" and need to think it through ahead of time. I'm completely aware that I'm rambling like a fool so ending this now.
Ramble on Sheila. It helps to put things down in writing.

Good for you buying some new clothes and shoes. Those things are important for self confidence. I remember one of my Dr friends telling me that after he went through medical school he did have a couple of decent suits for outward appearance but his underwear was not very nice. He said he took out a loan to buy decent underwear and a few other things to give him more self confidence. The one thing you need to remember is your current job you are being underpaid and overworked with little room for advancement. Just my two cents. Good luck with your interview.
Janet Alliesmama