Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
HappyDaze

Re: Small Goals - Pennies to Dollars

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:47 am Ramble on Sheila. It helps to put things down in writing.

Good for you buying some new clothes and shoes. Those things are important for self confidence. I remember one of my Dr friends telling me that after he went through medical school he did have a couple of decent suits for outward appearance but his underwear was not very nice. He said he took out a loan to buy decent underwear and a few other things to give him more self confidence. The one thing you need to remember is your current job you are being underpaid and overworked with little room for advancement. Just my two cents. Good luck with your interview.
Thank you Janet. Indeed, it helps to get things out in writing. Fortunately I didn't have to take out a loan. My only reason for being hesitant was that this is money spent that could have been applied to the last of my consumer debt, but I had to meet this need.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:04 am Thank you Janet. Indeed, it helps to get things out in writing. Fortunately I didn't have to take out a loan. My only reason for being hesitant was that this is money spent that could have been applied to the last of my consumer debt, but I had to meet this need.
It was a need not a want. As you say everything can be worn at your present job as well.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Two financial "bummers" today.

1. I got an email from my dental insurance provider - they are paying ZERO on my dental surgery - so much for the dentist telling me they would pay $840. I am going to dispute it - what am I paying THEM for?

If that doesn't work, I owe the dentist $840.

2. Got a letter from my mortgage company. They did an insurance audit and are having a fit because the deductible on my home owner's insurance is $5,000 (always has been). They're saying it has to be ZERO.

My mortgage payment will increase as a result.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

If any actual stitching was done, part of a dental bill could be run through your medical insurance too. When I had a molar implant done, some of it was covered by my medical insurance because it was surgical. I had to have a bone graft and sinus lift after having the molar extracted. The whole thing was rather expensive -- $1,500, but it was spread out over 14 months that landed at the end of one year, the entirety of another, and the beginning of the third, so the chunks of payments did not hurt too much.

Edited to add: And good on you for buying a nice suit and shoes. You will get so much good out of those. Nothing builds confidence like having a proper suit and good shoes for the occasion.
Mackie
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

HappyDaze wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:46 pm Two financial "bummers" today.

1. I got an email from my dental insurance provider - they are paying ZERO on my dental surgery - so much for the dentist telling me they would pay $840. I am going to dispute it - what am I paying THEM for?

If that doesn't work, I owe the dentist $840.

2. Got a letter from my mortgage company. They did an insurance audit and are having a fit because the deductible on my home owner's insurance is $5,000 (always has been). They're saying it has to be ZERO.

My mortgage payment will increase as a result.
1. Dental insurance... almost as useless, much of the time, as vision insurance! Outside of routine stuff and braces, you may as well be on your own.

2. Zero? Is that because of some state law or something? I've never heard of a $0 deductible for homeowner's insurance. If anything I've been encouraged to have higher deductibles (which keeps the ins co from having to pay for 'little' things, but most little things we wouldn't file a claim for anyway, so why not keep it higher?) Have you shopped your coverage?
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:34 am I spent some money, friends, on new clothing. I was all budget for and is paid for, and necessary, so no regrets.

Last week I ordered a good "interview suit" from Dillards (not just for interviews - I can wear to work whether I get the new job or stay at my current job - and the jacket and slacks can both be worn separately and with other things). This cost more than I think I have EVER paid for an outfit but I have ZERO buyers remorse. I needed it, I wanted it, I bought it, end of story.

I also ordered 4 pairs of shoes from the "shoe show" website - (I put in shoe department dot com and shoe show came up). These were also VERY needed and will be well used and go with multiple outfits. The 4 pairs of shoes (all on sale) came to about one third the cost of the suit.

The place where I currently work has a fairly casual dress code - so I will need a few more things if I get the new job. I will rely heavily on a couple of thrift stores and consignment shops for those if need be.

I have been working on a list of "pros and cons" of leaving my current job - just in case. So far 9 "pros", 17 "cons" - yikes! One of the "cons" is the commute - while not terrible, it's about (guessing) an 8 mile drive, versus being ONE mile from my current job - and it is very walkable. Also the needing new clothing is a con - anyway, I won't bore you with the whole list - but another would be that I have a "sick leave payout" coming from my current job in October - of about $1,500 - which of course I won't receive if I leave.

I'm putting the cart before the horse - I haven't been offered the position yet - but I'm a "compulsive planner" and need to think it through ahead of time. I'm completely aware that I'm rambling like a fool so ending this now.
You're not rambling like a fool, you're being smart to put the whole decision process on paper - I've known so many people who have left jobs to take others that paid 'better' and then after a few months realized the costs of the new job eradicate the difference in pay and sometimes put overall 'net' in the negative. One guy didn't realize just how much insurance, gas and wear and tear on his vehicle were going to cost him with a job that was just 16 miles farther away than his former employer (the extra commute bumped him into a higher "miles driven per year" bracket, and part of the miles were in a more densely populated area, so his rates went up). Another didn't realize the difference in insurance premiums were going to drive his take-home way down.

A lot of times people see the new salary and their ego is stroked to the point where they don't think about asking the right questions or 'counting the cost.'

I think women are more practical about that kind of thing overall. ;)