My 2021 Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: My 2021 Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Jackielou wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:32 am Eldest DS mentioned that fuel was $1.20.9 a liter here that would make it about $4.83.6 an American gallon in Canadian dollars. If we go by Imperial gallons you can add another $1.20.9 to that total. Must figure out cost in American dollars at some point.
Jackie gas is down t $2.69 today on the Walmart road. Think a bit of a gas war might be going on. Bummer on what you are having to pay. We might go higher as time goes on. At least right now I have a full tank at a somewhat decent price.
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:20 pm Hope you like it.
I aim to find out - so far I have been to lazy to make it.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

I wrote out a really nice update the other evening but just as I was submitting it my internet satellite went out due to a storm. Bummer!

Right now we are having a lovely but cool day (50's F) with lots of sunshine and a cool but refreshing breeze. My aide and I took a lot of recyclables to the recycling dumpster and then went for a drive up the river road. The road runs along the Mississippi river. They have tried to build a road along the side of the river for the entire length of the river from its origin at Itasca State Park in Minnesota to New Orleans, Louisiana. However some areas were just not feasible to build a road so close to the river. We are lucky that they were able to build our part of the road along side of the river. So lovely any time of the year. The origin of the river is in Minnesota was not too far from my Dad's lake home. It is amazing to think of the mighty Mississippi starting off as a small spring in Minnesota and ending up so big as it winds its way south to the Gulf of Mexico. I have been to the the spring and to New Orleans. One of my goals is to some day drive the length of the Mississippi, not all at once, but over time. One year I took 4 day week-ends and my Mom and I would travel up the Mississippi on the Illinois side and then drive down towards home on the Missouri side. Fun and interesting.

Today I was hoping to see more trees in bloom but only the red bud trees were in bloom and the rest of the trees were still somewhat stark. Still it was a nice drive. We stopped in a small village called, Grafton, and ate fried catfish. I just ate fish but my aide had a catfish sandwich. To save money I brought soda and a dill pickle from home. The cost of sides are usually very costly and not necessary the fish was very filling. Even a dill pickle cost $1.00. The fish was served with a big slice of onion and I brought about half home and will use it in something here. Teddi went for the ride with us and enjoyed the scenery. I brought him some treats to eat in the car while we were eating.

Yesterday I set up my new treadmill. It is a Fitnation slimline. I really need to exercise more but due to our weather it has not been conducive to getting out to walk. It is either too hot, too cold, raining, or snowing. This model is small but functional and can be folded up and put under my bed. I do not see the need for doing that. There is a lot of room in my bedroom and I can watch TV while I am on it. One of the home shopping networks had a great sale and they offer flex pay which breaks things down in to monthly installments without interest.

I made a Walmart curbside pickup this afternoon. I needed some household items and fresh produce. I love ordering online and curbside pickup but do not like having to spend the minimum of $35.00 to use that service. So my next shopping trip will hopefully be in person to just cherry pick what I really need and not adding things to an order to get the minimum. I will most likely be doing more at my local chain store where I can earn loyalty points. With careful shopping I can lower costs with sales. I have a lot of things to work with so the only needed things will be fresh produce and maybe dairy.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

In use it up mode. I had two medium red potatoes left so decided to make a small batch of potato salad. I used the leftover onion from my fried fish lunch and the last two hardboiled Easter eggs. Used leftover dill pickle juice in the potato salad. The potato salad is for tomorrow. I like for the potatoes to soak in the onion and the dressing overnight.

Dinner was a nuked "baked" potato with butter and sour cream. Quickly thawed out some cooked shrimp and made a small dish of cocktail sauce using catsup and horseradish sauce. Also sliced up 1/2 of a cucumber in to small dice to be used in a salad tomorrow.

I am shutting down for the night have severe storms moving in. We need the rain but not the high winds, lightening, and thunder.. Poor little Teddi. At least he had a good day today he went for two rides and loved looking out the window.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Oy Vey! What a day! We have had torrential rain off and on, with sustained wind of 24 mph and gusts up to 45 mph. Teddi has alternated between doing ok and going out to potty, when there was no rain, and actually sleeping, to freaking out to the point of driving me over the edge. I finally had to retreat to the master bedroom and put him on my bed and cuddle him. With the TV, the space heater going, and the door closed he feels somewhat safer due to less wind noise can be heard. The severe wind alert is suppose to continue until around midnight. Right now he is snuggled down in his blanket nest on my bed. The wind is still very strong.

When I was able to work in the kitchen and Great Room I threw a Duraflame log in the fireplace. It did help to make the room more cheery and there was a little bit of warmth when I was able to sit in the Great Room. The nice thing is the fire can be seen from the kitchen area due to the half wall. I cleaned two pounds of strawberries. Also prepared a pound of asparagus for dinner tomorrow. I saved the lower part of the asparagus stems that you snap off. I cut off the woody end and will use the stems for dipping in hummus or just as a snack. Also might use some to make a stir fry. They are young and tender. I had hoped to make hummus today but due to Teddi had to spend more time in the master bedroom than I planned.

Breakfast was cottage cheese with lots of pepper and fresh coffee. Lunch was Oscar Mayer turkey slices wrapped in a slice of provolone cheese. Also had potato salad that I made yesterday. Ate two strawberries for dessert. Except for the potato salad ate the same for dinner. Had a late afternoon snack of cucumber. I had planned to use them in a salad but could not spend time in the kitchen due to Teddi. Toasted 2 heels of gluten free bread from the freeze in order to use up some cream cheese.

Was so happy to receive an e-mail from Microsoft this afternoon that my account was being reinstated. I had a computer crash and could not remember my password and could not find the recovery code. I had them written down on a 3x5 card and misplaced it. I was blocked out of my account for 30 days for security reasons. So the new information is now in the notebook where I keep all of my passwords. I do not want to ever have to deal with that mess again. It is going to take me a while to update everything. Also dealing with a slow computer. I am only allowed 10 gigabytes with my current plan and when I use them up the satellite company slows down my computer. They will roll over on the 12th when I make my payment. I could pay more for more gigabytes but it is not worth the $40.00 extra. I just deal with the slowness.

Tomorrow is suppose to be less windy so hopefully I will get more done in the kitchen.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Recently have been taking my car in to get it in good condition for a road trip to Tennessee next month for my nephews wedding. I have a problem with the moonroof. It makes a horrendous noise when on the highway and it had a tiny little leak in one corner. Brought it to an Auto Body shop for evaluation. Too costly to have it repaired even if they use reconditioned parts. However got an estimate on the drivers side mirror that was damaged when previous caregiver was driving my car. She did give me the money to have it repaired. However is it going to cost a bit more than what the original BID was. So next week the car goes to the Auto Body shop for a wheel alignment and mirror replacement. The other day my car went to the Dealership for a 65,000 mile checkup. The car was in good condition except they found I have "swollen lug nuts." What the heck never heard of that before. Seems it is due to some kind of metal problem with Ford products. That will come to about $200.00. While at the Dealership I asked for an evaluation of the moonroof. They would look at it but it would cost $145.00. I was surprised since the Auto Body shop did it for free. However I thought maybe they could give me a better idea of what was needed. I am glad they did look at it. The track is broken so will need a whole new replacement. The body shop did not tell me what the problem was just that it was in need of being replaced. However they did manage to get the window back on the broken track, "as best as we could." Which is great. The horrendous noise the wind created while on the open highway is gone and if it does not leak I can live without a moonroof. Also the cost of the parts was almost identical to the Auto Body shop so I know they are giving me a good BID despite the large amount of money needed to replace it. Also had a routine oil and check up on the rest of the car. All total the bill was about 195.00. Good thing I budget for things like routine service. However never considered anything like a moonroof or " swollen lug nuts." So I have to try to cut corners somewhere. Food seems to be the one area where I can cut corners to try to squeeze extra money out of the budget. Also I am always under budget on my water bill.

Today I am making a meatloaf with beef from the freezer. I went out in my yard and cut some Hosta leaves to add to my dinner meal. When the leaves are just sprouting up they can be cut and cooked and taste a little like asparagus. They can also be eaten raw in salads. I have looked in to various recipes and think they will be roasted at a high temp with olive oil, salt, and pepper then sprinkled with vinegar. I use balsamic. I was going to nuke a baked potato to go with my meal but saw it has started to sprout so will save it to plant the potato sprouts in my garden. I am going to grow the potatoes in bags this year instead of earth boxes. I bought the bags last year but we had such a wet, cold spring I never got around to doing that. I keep instant potatoes on hand so will make a small batch of mashed potatoes to go with my meatloaf. I also have sugar free Jello to make.

I have budgeted for the wedding expenses which really are not that much. My wonderful brother is paying for our hotel room. My niece, from Arizona, will be flying in and staying for a couple of weeks with me. She will share in the cost of the gas. Our hotel room offers a hot breakfast each morning and then we will have a nice meal at the wedding reception. I will be taking snacks and things to drink from home. Our room has a microwave and fridge and the usual complimentary coffee. A friend of mine is going to house sit and baby sit Teddi. She does dog sitting as a sideline and I am getting the friends and family discount. Much better for Teddi and cheaper than boarding him. Also the house will be secure.
Janet Alliesmama