My 2021 Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: My 2021 Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

I have not been on much due to nothing much going on here. However a few days ago my aide brought me some new clothes. One of her other clients was moving and decided she did not want to keep some things. They are brand new! She brought me three pairs of dressy summer slacks. They were yellow, white, and powder blue. Also a pair of black slacks which I thought were a bit too small for me and a pair of white capris. I have never liked capris. I gave my aide the black slacks and the white capris to pass along to someone else. She also brought me a couple of nice summer tops, a powder blue summer jacket, and a pair of summer tan slacks. I did not keep the jacket. I get hot too easily so I gave them to my aide to pass on to someone else. The nice thing is all of my aides clients are about the same age and size so she can take things to others to share. I will not have to buy clothes for a very long time. She also brought me 5lbs of red potatoes from one of her other clients.

My peaches are starting to ripen. I am surprised that they did as well as they have due to the cold weather. I picked 4 grocery bags tonight and have them in the fridge. I hope to can some tomorrow. I have concern about the fruit bandit showing up and stealing them. I just hope he is frightened away by the signs on the trees that states, " Smile you are on camera." He has been known to come under the cover of darkness and strip my trees or he waits until I am gone and comes in and steals the fruit. I figured out he is aware when I am not home when my garage door is down. Three years in a row he has stolen my peaches and pears.. gggrr. This is the first year that I have a camera but unfortunately it is somewhat blocked my a weeping cherry tree that has grown much taller this year due to the rain. I just hope he does not realize that.

Tonight I made Thai yellow curry with a red potato, fresh mushrooms, onion and 6 frozen shrimp from my freezer. I keep a Thai yellow curry paste on hand from Amazon and it makes for a quick, tasty meal that is so much cheaper than going to a restaurant. Beside where I live it is a minimum of a 60 mile round trip to a Thai restaurant. I also cooked one red potato to make a small batch of potato salad. The 2 potatoes I used were purchased before I received the free potatoes. The two purchased potatoes cost $1.10. Yikes! So the 5lb bag will be a big savings. I am storing them in my basement in my storm shelter so they should stay good for a while in the cool darkness.

Early tomorrow we are expecting storms.. Bummer ! I will give Teddi some botanicals at bedtime and hope he will be able to sleep through the storms.
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:12 pm I have not been on much due to nothing much going on here. However a few days ago my aide brought me some new clothes. One of her other clients was moving and decided she did not want to keep some things. They are brand new! She brought me three pairs of dressy summer slacks. They were yellow, white, and powder blue. Also a pair of black slacks which I thought were a bit too small for me and a pair of white capris. I have never liked capris. I gave my aide the black slacks and the white capris to pass along to someone else. She also brought me a couple of nice summer tops, a powder blue summer jacket, and a pair of summer tan slacks. I did not keep the jacket. I get hot too easily so I gave them to my aide to pass on to someone else. The nice thing is all of my aides clients are about the same age and size so she can take things to others to share. I will not have to buy clothes for a very long time. She also brought me 5lbs of red potatoes from one of her other clients.

My peaches are starting to ripen. I am surprised that they did as well as they have due to the cold weather. I picked 4 grocery bags tonight and have them in the fridge. I hope to can some tomorrow. I have concern about the fruit bandit showing up and stealing them. I just hope he is frightened away by the signs on the trees that states, " Smile you are on camera." He has been known to come under the cover of darkness and strip my trees or he waits until I am gone and comes in and steals the fruit. I figured out he is aware when I am not home when my garage door is down. Three years in a row he has stolen my peaches and pears.. gggrr. This is the first year that I have a camera but unfortunately it is somewhat blocked my a weeping cherry tree that has grown much taller this year due to the rain. I just hope he does not realize that.

Tonight I made Thai yellow curry with a red potato, fresh mushrooms, onion and 6 frozen shrimp from my freezer. I keep a Thai yellow curry paste on hand from Amazon and it makes for a quick, tasty meal that is so much cheaper than going to a restaurant. Beside where I live it is a minimum of a 60 mile round trip to a Thai restaurant. I also cooked one red potato to make a small batch of potato salad. The 2 potatoes I used were purchased before I received the free potatoes. The two purchased potatoes cost $1.10. Yikes! So the 5lb bag will be a big savings. I am storing them in my basement in my storm shelter so they should stay good for a while in the cool darkness.

Early tomorrow we are expecting storms.. Bummer ! I will give Teddi some botanicals at bedtime and hope he will be able to sleep through the storms.
Janet, that is great that your aide shares things among clients. I have been BLESSED with "new to me" clothing from a friend as well as my boss over the past couple of years. I take everything offered and share with another friend and donate whatever might be left.

One item that was given to me is a "Christmas red" blazer - and item I would never buy - but it is so nice to have for work around Valentine's Day and Christmas time. I suppose it could be worn at other times - but I don't.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:10 am Janet, that is great that your aide shares things among clients. I have been BLESSED with "new to me" clothing from a friend as well as my boss over the past couple of years. I take everything offered and share with another friend and donate whatever might be left.

One item that was given to me is a "Christmas red" blazer - and item I would never buy - but it is so nice to have for work around Valentine's Day and Christmas time. I suppose it could be worn at other times - but I don't.
That is great Sheila.. I am glad you have someone that passes things along to you and that you can share with too.

The red blazer does sound very festive for the special holidays. I am with you I would not buy one but when you are given one it is nice to have.
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:24 am That is great Sheila.. I am glad you have someone that passes things along to you and that you can share with too.

The red blazer does sound very festive for the special holidays. I am with you I would not buy one but when you are given one it is nice to have.
I sometimes notice people have special clothing or jewelry or other accessories for different holidays. I am too frugal and too much a minimalist to own anything like a Christmas sweater or St. Patrick's Day earrings and the like - just never going to happen.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:30 am I sometimes notice people have special clothing or jewelry or other accessories for different holidays. I am too frugal and too much a minimalist to own anything like a Christmas sweater or St. Patrick's Day earrings and the like - just never going to happen.
I am pretty much the same way about my clothes. However I do have seasonal changes for my house but they have been acquired over many, many years and always on sale, bought at charity shops, or made at home. I rarely wear jewelry of any kind.
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:36 am I am pretty much the same way about my clothes. However I do have seasonal changes for my house but they have been acquired over many, many years and always on sale, bought at charity shops, or made at home. I rarely wear jewelry of any kind.
Same. I have very minimal seasonal decor, purchased at thrift stores. It all fits into the trunk that I use as a coffee table in the living room.

The only jewelry I ever wear is earrings. I recently got rid of all my earrings (maybe 10 or so pairs) and replaced them with 4 new pairs - silver studs, gold studs, small silver hoops, small gold hoops. They work with everything, nothing more is needed.

I don't know what it is that attracts me to minimalism and simplicity so much - but it's how I roll.

Charles M. Schultz