My 2021 Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: My 2021 Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

MackerelCat wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:01 pm
Janet, we discovered that Tractor Supply has their own brand of a salmon and potato food that Lily can safely eat. We do add a tablespoon of pumpkin puree to her dish every day because it has little fiber and she tends to get "stopped up," but it's working out great for her.

It's 4health Original Salmon & Potato Dinner Dog Food, and comes in 13.2 oz. cans. It's a $1.39 a can, which is a great price, considering she's big enough to eat a can a day between her breakfast and main meal. With Teddi being so small, you may still be better off cooking his meals, though.

Thanks Mackie I will check in to their canned dog food in the near future.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Cannot believe so much time has gone by since my last check-in here. I did too much trying to get the house battened down with the incoming Artic blast in Feb. I have a lot of medical problems including the need to have extensive back surgery, need my left shoulder joint replaced and have a rare inherited form of ALS ( Lou Gehrigs) and to top that off I am old..lol...and diabetic. Also have had total knee replacements. Do not get old it is not for the faint of heart.lol I am 76 years young but mentally still very young in my mind, say 25, but my body is still yelling 76..lol.

Teddi has been up and down. Not sure what is going on with him some days he eats well and other days he does not. He has had two episodes of throwing up in the last several days. Nothing drastic just an upchuck of white film and not much of it. Yesterday he seemed better and despite throwing up in the morning he did eat some toast later on. I hand fed it to him. He will only eat the soft inner part of the gluten free toast. However early afternoon he ate breakfast and a late dinner and kept it all down. Since we have been having nicer weather I am hoping to get him outside more. I think being cooped up for the winter has been a determent to both of us.

I have cleaned up my garage since the weather has been so nice. I can only do about 10 minutes at a time and then need to go in the house and rest. However finally got a lot of the boxes broken down and the garage swept out. The boxes were left from when I still had Amazon Prime. My aide and i took them to the recycling dumpster the other day. The last several days have been able to wash blankets and fleecy throws and hang them in the garage on the clotheslines out there. They smelled so fresh when I brought them in. Glad I can start to use the clotheslines and cut back on the use of my dryer. I was concerned about the increased electric used during the artic blast and it was not good. It was over $300.00 dollars. I do have budget billing which saved me.

I am hoping to make more updates as things get better here. I am off to eat breakfast and have another cup of tea.
Janet Alliesmama

HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:14 am
Cannot believe so much time has gone by since my last check-in here. I did too much trying to get the house battened down with the incoming Artic blast in Feb. I have a lot of medical problems including the need to have extensive back surgery, need my left shoulder joint replaced and have a rare inherited form of ALS ( Lou Gehrigs) and to top that off I am old..lol...and diabetic. Also have had total knee replacements. Do not get old it is not for the faint of heart.lol I am 76 years young but mentally still very young in my mind, say 25, but my body is still yelling 76..lol.

Teddi has been up and down. Not sure what is going on with him some days he eats well and other days he does not. He has had two episodes of throwing up in the last several days. Nothing drastic just an upchuck of white film and not much of it. Yesterday he seemed better and despite throwing up in the morning he did eat some toast later on. I hand fed it to him. He will only eat the soft inner part of the gluten free toast. However early afternoon he ate breakfast and a late dinner and kept it all down. Since we have been having nicer weather I am hoping to get him outside more. I think being cooped up for the winter has been a determent to both of us.

I have cleaned up my garage since the weather has been so nice. I can only do about 10 minutes at a time and then need to go in the house and rest. However finally got a lot of the boxes broken down and the garage swept out. The boxes were left from when I still had Amazon Prime. My aide and i took them to the recycling dumpster the other day. The last several days have been able to wash blankets and fleecy throws and hang them in the garage on the clotheslines out there. They smelled so fresh when I brought them in. Glad I can start to use the clotheslines and cut back on the use of my dryer. I was concerned about the increased electric used during the artic blast and it was not good. It was over $300.00 dollars. I do have budget billing which saved me.

I am hoping to make more updates as things get better here. I am off to eat breakfast and have another cup of tea.
Take good care my friend - sending love to you and Teddi.

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:46 pm
Take good care my friend - sending love to you and Teddi.
Thanks Sheila.. Sending love to you, your DD " M" and your fur babies.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Teddi stopped eating on Wednesday. I tried to feed him and he would shake his head away. He does some times skip eating and his previous owner said that is something he would do with her as well. Then Thursday he again refused to eat. Finally in the evening I held him an fed him some small bites and he did eat. I did that three times during the evening. However if a plate was put down for him he would not eat. He had a vet appointment for Friday for his ears and his allergy shot. They did some tests one was for pancreatitis which he has had in the past. It was negative so that was good. They are running more tests on his blood and stool and hopefully I will get the results today. The Vet did give him a shot for nausea and an allergy shot. He has to go back mid week for treatment on his ears. She did not want to overload him yesterday since he is on an antibiotic for his skin and the one for his ears is also an antibiotic. Yesterday the total came to $390.00. I think the ear treatment next week will be close to $68.00. So a big chunk of money out of the old budget. I am going to try to not buy any food for the rest of this month and in to next month for as long as I can manage. Groceries are the one thing that are flexible and not set in concrete like some bills are. Fortunately I do have a full fridge freezer and lots of canned foods. I can even use some of my emergency food stockpile food like powdered eggs and powdered milk. It is going to be interesting and actually somewhat fun to see how far I can stretch things.

On the upside Teddi did eat yesterday late afternoon. I only gave him a little bit of the pork roast heated up. He has been refusing to eat so I have had to throw it away. He scarfed it down and even licked his plate so I warmed up a little bit more and he ate that as well. Late evening I fixed him another small plate and he ate it as well. So hopefully the nausea shot eased whatever problem he was having.

Even before the money crunch happened I had decided to start to use up the odds and ends in my fridge freezer. There are small containers of odds and ends that at the time I did not mark thinking I would remember what they were and use them up. Silly me... lol. So I have been pulling out a few things at a time to determine what they are and then I try to use them in a recipe. One of them was Rotel tomatoes. I decided to use them and make a dip. I strained the juice out and added them to some sour cream and a little bit of taco seasoning and had a great dip. I saved the juice in the freezer to use the next time I make chili or something Mexican. Found some fire roasted red pepper so will be making pimento cheese with them today and use to make stuffed celery. I have been on a celery kick lately. Also found some lemon juice that I had made when a few lemons needed to be used so i squeezed them and measured the juice out in portion size and put in the freezer. I plan on making hummus with the lemon juice. Found some apple butter in the freezer. I do not eat apple butter but bought it when I had someone coming for a visit and I knew she liked it. So the leftovers sit in the freezer. Went through some of my diabetic cook books and found a recipe for oatmeal raisins cookies that uses apple butter. Who knew there was a recipe using apple butter but at the same time I find it fun and interesting trying to match up the odds and ends leftovers and turn it in to something useful and yummy. So the next 4 to 6 weeks looks interesting in the way of being frugal in the kitchen.

A few days ago my computer crashed and I am locked out of BING and Microsoft for the next 30 days. It took some time yesterday to re-establish myself on some of the sites that I use to earn a few extra dollars. I was thrilled that the one site that pay $3.00 a survey sent me a survey and I thought woo hoo grocery money and then then on Friday was hit with the $390.00 bill for Teddi's medical bills. So only $387.00 and I will be all caught up...lol.

I loaned my car to my aide the other day. She is covered under my insurance and her car was in the shop. She put $10.00 worth of gas in the car which covered her small use of it and then the next day she gave me another $10.00 told her that was not necessary but she insisted. So I am going to save it to put gas in my car the next time I am close to the IL and Missouri border. Gas in MO is much cheaper and the next time I go to my brother's house it is right near the bridge to MO.
Janet Alliesmama

alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

My computer is still not working like it should. Very frustrating.

Teddi is much improved and eating well since he had his anti-nausea shot the other day. He is on an antibiotic for his skin problem and is being good about taking his medication. However I do sneak it to him in some cheese.

Had a rough night due to my neighbor separated his Mama cows from their babies. They have been bawling since yesterday afternoon non stop. I can see the herd from my bedroom windows. They are on a hill maybe a couple of acres away directly behind my house. Where I live use to be part of my brother's farm. My brother said they will usually cry for about 3 days and then slowly stop. Sad. I did not get to sleep until around 2:00 AM this morning and woke up around 5:00 AM.

Today has been very chilly and overcast. We have a storm moving in now. Just heard the thunder. I hope I can keep Teddi calm enough by staying in my bedroom with the TV on. If we are in the Great Room the open spaces allows him to hear more noise. Plus I think he always feels safer when he is on my bed. I do not want to give him an anit-anxiety pill since he is still recuperating from being sick. The one time I gave him the pill it really knocked him out for far too long.

Since I knew the rain was going to be torrential I gave the birds extra food today. I hope they can find shelter. My brother said that when he had in coming storms or post storms he would check on his cattle down at the bottom of the hill, near the woods, and the bushes would be covered in Cardinals. Sometimes 20 or 30 to a bush. Wish he would have taken a camera and we had a picture.

Breakfast was Cheerios with walnuts. Lunch was a cheese sandwich made with dill flavored Havarti cheese (bought on sale), mustard, and lettuce. I nuked the sandwich before adding the lettuce. I liked the lettuce it added a nice texture and freshness to the sandwich. Dinner was Croatian sausage ( free from my aide). I had sauerkraut in the freezer that needed to be used up. Added a single serve cup of applesauce. I have enough of everything for dinner tomorrow night. I had a snack of homemade guacamole and pork rinds.

Have enjoyed numerous cups of hot tea throughout the day trying to keep warm and trying to avoid turning the furnace up. I did cave late afternoon and throw a Duraflame log in the fireplace. It does not throw out much heat unless you are sitting near the fireplace but it does have some warmth and seeing the flames does make you feel warmer and makes me feel more cheerful.
Janet Alliesmama