My 2021 Challenge

Want to up your frugal game? Join one of our challenges.
alliesmama4

Re: My 2021 Challenge

Post by alliesmama4 »

Yesterday the temp went up to 80 F. It was still lovely at bedtime so left my bedroom window open about 5 inches. It was so nice to sleep in the fresh air. The temp was 46 F this morning but I was very comfortable all snuggled down in bed. Teddi was all snuggled down in what I call his blanket fort. I put a fleecy throw around him at night to make a nest. He likes to rest his head on the built up throw. He sleeps in bed with me but not right up against me unless it is the dead of winter. So nice to be able to turn off the furnace for a while in between heating and cooling seasons. I do use my ceiling fans during the hottest part of the day.

I woke up around 4:30 AM and by 6:30 AM was still not in the mood to cook breakfast so I thought hhhmmm potato salad has potatoes, onion, and eggs almost the same thing as fried potatoes and onions with a fried egg on the side...lol. So ate potato salad for breakfast and enjoyed it.

Still in use it up mode so lunch was tuna fish salad, pork n beans, and the last of the potato salad. Ate 4 fresh strawberries with whip cream for dessert.

Dinner was a nice big salad using the last of my lettuce. Added some green bell pepper, fresh onion, diced tomato, mozzarella cheese, leftover chickpeas from the fridge, sunflower seeds, sliced green olives, diced cucumber, and store bought Ranch dressing. I feel stuffed. A bit too much lettuce but there was not enough to save to make another salad.

I did not make baked beans for my Easter dinner. Time got away from me and I just opened a can of pork n beans which was still good in my mind. The American Diabetes Assoc. actually lists canned pork n beans as a good snack. My honey mustard sauce for my Canadian bacon was a bust. I would have been better off just having a little bit of mustard on the side. I did eat a tiny bit but decided it was not worth saving so threw it away. I hate to waste but there are times you just have to let things go.

My strawberries were still fresh today. When I bring them home I remove the stems and wash them in water and then let them drain to dry on a towel. Then put them in a china bowl with a clean cloth under them, either a napkin or tea towel depending on how many I have. Then lightly fold the fabric over the bowl and put in the fridge. I find if you put them in a plastic bowl or a bowl and cover them with plastic wrap they go bad a lot faster. I do keep a few cloth napkins and tea towels designated for this use since they get stains from the berries.

Jackie the other day at Walmart gas was $2.70 a gal. Cheaper than the last time I was there. It was $ 2.75 on March 26. Only the gas stations that are located on the same road as Walmart are maintaining that price. If you drive further in to town it is $3.00 to $3.07 a gal. I am lucky that I can go in to town on two different roads but the distance and time are about the same. I will be using the one that goes by Walmart first for the foreseeable future for gas prices.

Teddi is having an off day. Not wanting to eat but did finally eat a hardboiled egg. Tomorrow he has a grooming appointment and maybe after he has his hair cut and a bath he will feel better.
Janet Alliesmama
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Janet, your 80 degrees sounds delightful - I can't wait for that to happen here! What do you use for dressing on your potato salad?
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:19 am Janet, your 80 degrees sounds delightful - I can't wait for that to happen here! What do you use for dressing on your potato salad?
After dicing the potatoes, and while still warm, I sprinkle a little bit of sugar and any leftover dill pickle juice I might have in the fridge. I always save my pickle juice. If no pickle juice sprinkle with vinegar. Then add mayo and mustard. I prefer Miracle whip but will use mayo since that is what I keep in the house for making keto foods. All of the portions of how much to use depends on how big the bowl of potatoes. I also add a sprinkle of celery seed and salt along with onion and hard boiled eggs. I actually could be very happy just eating potato salad and call it a meal.

We had another lovely day yesterday and the same today but then rain moves in for a couple of days. Still better than the bitter cold.
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

alliesmama4 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:39 pm Yesterday the temp went up to 80 F. It was still lovely at bedtime so left my bedroom window open about 5 inches. It was so nice to sleep in the fresh air. The temp was 46 F this morning but I was very comfortable all snuggled down in bed. Teddi was all snuggled down in what I call his blanket fort. I put a fleecy throw around him at night to make a nest. He likes to rest his head on the built up throw. He sleeps in bed with me but not right up against me unless it is the dead of winter. So nice to be able to turn off the furnace for a while in between heating and cooling seasons. I do use my ceiling fans during the hottest part of the day.

I woke up around 4:30 AM and by 6:30 AM was still not in the mood to cook breakfast so I thought hhhmmm potato salad has potatoes, onion, and eggs almost the same thing as fried potatoes and onions with a fried egg on the side...lol. So ate potato salad for breakfast and enjoyed it.

Still in use it up mode so lunch was tuna fish salad, pork n beans, and the last of the potato salad. Ate 4 fresh strawberries with whip cream for dessert.

Dinner was a nice big salad using the last of my lettuce. Added some green bell pepper, fresh onion, diced tomato, mozzarella cheese, leftover chickpeas from the fridge, sunflower seeds, sliced green olives, diced cucumber, and store bought Ranch dressing. I feel stuffed. A bit too much lettuce but there was not enough to save to make another salad.

I did not make baked beans for my Easter dinner. Time got away from me and I just opened a can of pork n beans which was still good in my mind. The American Diabetes Assoc. actually lists canned pork n beans as a good snack. My honey mustard sauce for my Canadian bacon was a bust. I would have been better off just having a little bit of mustard on the side. I did eat a tiny bit but decided it was not worth saving so threw it away. I hate to waste but there are times you just have to let things go.

My strawberries were still fresh today. When I bring them home I remove the stems and wash them in water and then let them drain to dry on a towel. Then put them in a china bowl with a clean cloth under them, either a napkin or tea towel depending on how many I have. Then lightly fold the fabric over the bowl and put in the fridge. I find if you put them in a plastic bowl or a bowl and cover them with plastic wrap they go bad a lot faster. I do keep a few cloth napkins and tea towels designated for this use since they get stains from the berries.

Jackie the other day at Walmart gas was $2.70 a gal. Cheaper than the last time I was there. It was $ 2.75 on March 26. Only the gas stations that are located on the same road as Walmart are maintaining that price. If you drive further in to town it is $3.00 to $3.07 a gal. I am lucky that I can go in to town on two different roads but the distance and time are about the same. I will be using the one that goes by Walmart first for the foreseeable future for gas prices.

Teddi is having an off day. Not wanting to eat but did finally eat a hardboiled egg. Tomorrow he has a grooming appointment and maybe after he has his hair cut and a bath he will feel better.
Eldest DS mentioned that fuel was $1.20.9 a liter here that would make it about $4.83.6 an American gallon in Canadian dollars. If we go by Imperial gallons you can add another $1.20.9 to that total. Must figure out cost in American dollars at some point.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

alliesmama4 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:42 am After dicing the potatoes, and while still warm, I sprinkle a little bit of sugar and any leftover dill pickle juice I might have in the fridge. I always save my pickle juice. If no pickle juice sprinkle with vinegar. Then add mayo and mustard. I prefer Miracle whip but will use mayo since that is what I keep in the house for making keto foods. All of the portions of how much to use depends on how big the bowl of potatoes. I also add a sprinkle of celery seed and salt along with onion and hard boiled eggs. I actually could be very happy just eating potato salad and call it a meal.

We had another lovely day yesterday and the same today but then rain moves in for a couple of days. Still better than the bitter cold.
Mouth is watering - that sounds amazing. I might have to try to copy your recipe soon!
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

HappyDaze wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:13 pm Mouth is watering - that sounds amazing. I might have to try to copy your recipe soon!
Hope you like it.
Janet Alliesmama