Getting Started

New to the forum? Here are our rules, plus some tips to help you get started.
frugalmom

Re: Getting Started

Post by frugalmom »

Heloise wrote:EllenMarie. I loved the era I grew up in. Even if I could, I wouldn't change a thing. There's a lot to be said for how much has been lost over the past two to three decades. Society as a whole has slipped. I don't care for today's society (at all).

LOL! I know of the pillaging and plundering of the laundry baskets you speak of! When my kids were little, I often had a basket or two of unfolded diapers sitting around, and if I wasn't careful the younger ones would get into them and scatter them all around, dragging them under cribs, beds, and into closets. It wasn't uncommon for me to find diapers all balled-up in the toy box days later.

So true about having to be frugal with large families to make it. Aside from the economics of being frugal, I simply love the old-fashioned side of frugality. Doing things the frugal way is something I have always cherished and enjoyed. My guess is it's the result of my younger years when everyone did everything frugally.

Re: crime, sickness and disease, I was reading an article recently that touched on the fact that today's younger generation will die sooner than their parents generation. Statistics like that sure are unsettling. As a parent you never want to outlive a child. So sad.

As far as slowing down goes, I've had to work really hard at this in my life. I've always been a go-getter, a busy-body if you will, and aside from going from morning until night (nonstop), I just never take a break or rest. It was catching up to me and affecting my health, so I had no choice but to slow the momentum down some. Now that I have managed to scale back my approach as to how I tackle things, I've become happier and more relaxed.

Ellen. You can talk my ear off anytime! You're such great company! I always enjoy chatting with you!
Thank you, I enjoy conversing with you as well! We sound alike! I did meet one gal on here(the original frugal forum) and we also sounded a lot alike-then we found out we lived like 5 mins away from each other! We met one day and she is an awesome gal with a gorgeous house and a very kind heart! But at first, we were wary to meet up bc we did not know each (other than on the forum) and it was the first time for either of us to meet someone online! But we were both harmless-lol-I guess I looked safe like a mom-lol! My little one loves her peach ice cream(homemade and fresh from her tree) and she was a craft person(she also makes lotions,sews her drapes,etc) and beautifully decorated her house-I am simple and not crafty at all-lol! I count her as one of my good friends today!

Yes, poor Debbie Reynolds died of a broken heart over her daughter Carrie Fisher! I feel bad for that family but I would totally understand!

I was called the Energizer Bunny when I was younger and told my husbands you could nap when you are dead-BUT NOW...I am like a zombie if I don't take a quick nap! It recharges me!
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

EllenMarie wrote:I enjoy conversing with you as well! We sound alike! I did meet one gal on here(the original frugal forum) and we also sounded a lot alike-then we found out we lived like 5 mins away from each other! We met one day and she is an awesome gal with a gorgeous house and a very kind heart! But at first, we were wary to meet up bc we did not know each (other than on the forum) and it was the first time for either of us to meet someone online! But we were both harmless-lol-I guess I looked safe like a mom-lol! My little one loves her peach ice cream(homemade and fresh from her tree) and she was a craft person(she also makes lotions,sews her drapes,etc) and beautifully decorated her house-I am simple and not crafty at all-lol! I count her as one of my good friends today!
What a lovely story and warm new beginning for you and the other fellow board member. What I'd give to sit down with a few members here over a cup of tea or coffee.
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Heloise wrote:
EllenMarie wrote:I enjoy conversing with you as well! We sound alike! I did meet one gal on here(the original frugal forum) and we also sounded a lot alike-then we found out we lived like 5 mins away from each other! We met one day and she is an awesome gal with a gorgeous house and a very kind heart! But at first, we were wary to meet up bc we did not know each (other than on the forum) and it was the first time for either of us to meet someone online! But we were both harmless-lol-I guess I looked safe like a mom-lol! My little one loves her peach ice cream(homemade and fresh from her tree) and she was a craft person(she also makes lotions,sews her drapes,etc) and beautifully decorated her house-I am simple and not crafty at all-lol! I count her as one of my good friends today!
What a lovely story and warm new beginning for you and the other fellow board member. What I'd give to sit down with a few members here over a cup of tea or coffee.
Lol- I realize I wrote "I told my husbands..."-lol-I only have one (so far-lol!)!!! I would love to sit down with these gals too one day or have a potluck or picnic even! It would be fun!
Heloise

Post by Heloise »

EllenMarie wrote:Lol- I realize I wrote "I told my husbands..."-lol-I only have one (so far-lol!)!!! I would love to sit down with these gals too one day or have a potluck or picnic even! It would be fun!
LOL! I never thought anything of it other than, this lady enjoys a variety! :lol: Oh yes, a picnic would be great.
suzenjoy

Post by suzenjoy »

Hi! Just want to say "Thanks for the tip on homemade hair conditioners".
I just needed to add something to mine since it is so thick I need to keep the bottle upside down.
So now I know I can just add a little distilled water. Figured that might be the answer.
But also thought of glycerine, having no idea what it really is.
Might start making my own too!
Thanks Erin!
Suzen
cherylann16

Post by cherylann16 »

Good morning, everyone or perhaps Good afternoon/evening to those who live in another time zone. My name is Cheryl and my goal is to be a much better sewer/quilter in 2019. It is also to share my thoughts, ideas and feelings with others.
Have an AWESOME day!