Daily Check in June 23, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
frugalmom

Re: Daily Check in June 23, 2021

Post by frugalmom »

Dd having surgery tomorrow and will be off her feet for a bit, so we went together with my son to do thrift store shopping and have a day of fun(my klds' idea of fun-not mine, lol). Idk but I never find anything for myself that I want-did look at bread machines which were around 7-9.00,but I was thinking would I really be making bread even?!

My son found really nice rocker jeans that we looked up and they sell for around 165.00 and he got that one for 15.00. He said it is his new favorite jeans. We probably can turn it around when he is done with it and re-sell it for a much higher price-even I liked those jeans! Then he found a Corvette racing jacket which was on sale for like 25.00 I think it was and that could be turned around for much more-but my son didn't want to spend too much of my money. Usually he spends his money but when it comes to thrift stores for some reason he relies on my money :? as his sister does too. Tees were for 1.74 each. Sweaters 6.99-9.61. My son likes sweater vests for some reason 6.55. Idk how your thrift store prices are, but these I thought were cheaper than usual here(oh I got 20% coupon too off that), but still kind of higher end prices for a thrift store I was thinking?! I told them I can get designer clothes at Macys during their discounts and sales and clearance for 3.00-4.00 and they are brand new. It will be interesting as prices are going up, how much these discounts I can get still if any at all.

Weird thing is whenever I go to these shops, and this was a big store, my son and I break out in redness and itchiness. Like we are allergic to dust so maybe it is dusty or something. So I cannot touch anything bc I break out right away-weird-idk if this happens to anyone else!? The best place I like is garage sales for items, but it is a hit and miss. My dh passed by a garage sale and bought a Werner ladder which online at Home Depot was over 100.00 plus (forgot exact amount now but over 100.) and dh bought it for 30. or 35.00(forgot now how much but one of those two amounts).

So hopefully, that is it for our buying spree lately-I told everyone we need to stop spending bc we have everything and do not need anything anymore! Sheesh! Oh I did buy my dh a nice shirt which was cooling for a hot summer and 6.12-he always tells me never buy him anything but he ended up liking it. He wears the same shirts otherwise all the time and he doesn't care and the same cargo shorts-when he was younger he liked to be the height of fashion and now doesn't care at all. Also funny how younger he wanted to wear tight stuff to show his ripped muscles and now it is loose and comfortable (my mantra too-as long as it is comfortable!). Funny to see my son starting to build his once skinny lanky body to being ripped (not quite there yet lol-getting there) and how he is always posing to take pictures just like his dad was! Silly....

Oh I forgot I did buy something for myself-Frugal LIssa Finds a Body! It is a cozy mystery book (whatever that means-maybe a light read not like gory, detailed, grisly crime book!?), I thought it was cool a frugal mystery book (apparently it has tips) that I could read during my dd's surgery tomorrow! Anyone read it before-it is a series.

icfrugal1

Post by icfrugal1 »

MackerelCat wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:11 pm
ICFrugal, the Hills Science Diet kidney food my long-ago little Eskimo spitz was prescribed was disgusting. I could tell by her expression that she would rather die than eat it. That's how I began my career of cooking for dogs, after finding a veterinarian-developed recipe for dogs with failing kidneys. She lived another two and half fairly normal years eating Mom's home cooking. It was hard that she could not have any treats, but nothing existed at that time that she could have.

That was nearly 20 years ago. Wow, time flies.
Thank you, do you remember the recipe?

Before this I as giving the dogs chicken breast, kibbles, (pure balance grain free chicken and pea recipe)and Olewo Dehydrated Carrots Dog Food Supplement .

For dinner, chicken gain, and kibbles and white rice.

Yesterday DH confessed that he was giving them, (espicaly Goldie) lots of chicken and beef dog treats, then when I cut him back to $100 a month on treats he was supplementing their food with meatballs and other meaty products,

So, DH thinks that if he doesn't give them any of the extra treats and go back to the chicken breasts, carrots and rice that Goldie will be good.

He lOVES that dog.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

IC

MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

icfrugal1 wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:50 pm
Thank you, do you remember the recipe?

Before this I as giving the dogs chicken breast, kibbles, (pure balance grain free chicken and pea recipe)and Olewo Dehydrated Carrots Dog Food Supplement .

For dinner, chicken gain, and kibbles and white rice.

Yesterday DH confessed that he was giving them, (espicaly Goldie) lots of chicken and beef dog treats, then when I cut him back to $100 a month on treats he was supplementing their food with meatballs and other meaty products,

So, DH thinks that if he doesn't give them any of the extra treats and go back to the chicken breasts, carrots and rice that Goldie will be good.

He lOVES that dog.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

IC
I don't have the exact recipe anymore, but it consisted of ground beef, white rice, low-sodium bread, scrambled eggs, crushed canine vitamins and crushed calcium carbonate tablets. Because her problem was kidney failure, the protein amounts had to controlled.

Anything you make for her needs to be approved by your vet. Ours approved of the diet I found for her and was always pleased at how well she did. She was 14 and a half when she got an infection she could not fight off and that was the end.

Your husband overfeeding the dogs meat is doing them no good. The dogs might like apple slices, baby carrots or other more healthy things.
Mackie