Possible bean shortage

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Possible bean shortage

Post by alliesmama4 »

Several people on the forum mentioned they were seeing a shortage of beans on the shelves in their local grocery stores. I decided to check in to it. There could be a bean shortage due to the drought out west. The article stated normally 8000 acres are planted in beans but this year only 3700 were planted. Some of the beans that might be in short supply will be dried peas, pinto, light and dark red kidney beans, navy and lima beans to name a few. The article said almost all black eye peas are grown in California and they will most likely be in short supply. So, if you need them for New Year's grab some soon. They mentioned some beans that are frozen might also be in short supply but did not give any particular names. I could not determine if this involve canned beans are just dried beans. Also, the cost of flour is going to go up and might be in short supply due to the drought.
Janet Alliesmama
clemencia2us

Re: Possible bean shortage

Post by clemencia2us »

I only buy dry pinto beans and have been able to buy them

But then I only buy maybe a one pound bag a week.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Janet, I had not heard this, thank you for the info. Time to restock the beans.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

I have lots of assorted bags of dried beans I bought last year during lockdown so I am set there. I also put in two big orders to Thrive Market for shelf stable foods that don't require much preparation. I took advantage of their 30% off Black Friday sale.

Thought just occurred to me I should check and see if Pet Smart has any Cyber Monday Deals on cat food before I venture out on Monday after work.

Bev
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

I had not heard this. I might have to get some dried beans the next time I go shopping.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Both Food Lion and Publix were low on canned beans. I buy canned chili beans, which are pintos in a chili gravy/sauce, and canned black beans. I use a lot of lentils but buy those dry. The best deal is always in the Hispanic foods section.

Depending on who is eating, it's either canned or frozen green peas at our house.
Mackie