Daily Check in Jan 28, 2022

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in Jan 28, 2022

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:34 pm Congratulations to your son! My parents also helped me with my down payment and it is wonderful that you are helping him.

Just a thought but he might want to get the locks changed when he moves in or at least ask the seller if neighbors and the seller’s family have keys to the home that should be retrieved. Hope this doesn’t sound paranoid but I feel you can’t be too careful now a days.
Good idea. I will mention it to him. That is actually something Hubby could do as we have done that a few times on this house.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Jackie, that is great news!

Yes, he will need to get the locks changed as quickly as possible. No telling who in the sales process or the neighborhood is holding keys.

We have a student in the building up the hill who locks herself out about once a week, and this was her day. It is so cold and windy and I really did not want to walk up there and deal with that. Brrrr! I don't know who is tending to the building these days, but it looks well-cared. That was was nice: I worked so hard on it last year.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

congrats to your son Jackie

So I did a few tasks around the house. Tended to the pets. Made myself a yummy grilled cheese. Used the last of the butter. I hardly buy it now, so had not noticed we were almost out. Will have to get some tomorrow.

Oh and the Washington Post had a story about the truck convoy in Canada!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/01/28/canada-truckers-convoy-ottawa-covid/
Mrscreative

Post by Mrscreative »

Jackielou wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:20 pm Update

So excited the house that youngest DS put the offer on is, or soon will be his. They accepted his offer and didn't even counter offer. He is getting it for 10K less than the asking price. He phoned from work and sounds over the moon. This works well as we need to be in his city on Monday and will give him the cheque to help him with the down payment.

He was phoning the bank to set up an appointment to get the ball rolling. His appointment probably won't be until early next week and the house inspection will be happening at the same time. He could be out of that roach filled apartment by the end of February (well he will have to be).

Dang I forgot that he will have to notify the power company as to the date the bill needs to come in his name and that there is usually a connection charge. Oh well when he phones back I will mention it to him.

Off to get the mail.
Congratulations to your son! Perhaps look at the water bill at the same time. Sadly you have to pay a connection fee for that as well. And also natural gas if that’s how the house and hot water tank are heated.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

Time to start winding down - I stayed busy today! There is homemade pasta sauce cooking in the slow cooker with loads of caramalized onions, red and green bell peppers, garlic, onion flakes, Italian seasoning and some crushed red pepper flakes.

My Lucy dog somehow got off her run earlier and was gone when I went out to get her. Not really gone, I could let Lucy off-leash and she wouldn't go far, but it was a chore to locate her way in the back of the property (I have just about an acre including a wooded area). I don't know exactly how the hook got off her collar but I've been staying out with both dogs when I put them on the run - brrrrrr!!

I I got the household chores done that I wanted to do and will relax the evening away - I have reading to do, crosswords, a show to watch, some surveys to catch up on, etc. Hoping for another good night's sleep. As much as I hate too, I will leave the tiniest bit of water dripping in both the bathroom and kitchen before I go to sleep. My pipes have never frozen - I don't want there to be a first time.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

floridacatlover wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:16 pm I hope that you will stay home and stay warm in the bitter cold tomorrow!

I don’t think my area will go below freezing but if it does, my main concern is the tropical plants. One county over is a big strawberry area and they ripen right about now. The growers will spray the strawberries with water because a thin coating of ice somehow protects them. Seems odd but they do this every time there is the threat of a hard freeze.
We have fruit orchards here and they too will spray the strawberries with water. Another thing they do is for late season frost is to fly helicopters over the area. Amazing what they come up with in order to protect the crops.
Last edited by alliesmama4 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Alliesmama