NPR piece about conquering debt by going cash only

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Re: NPR piece about conquering debt by going cash only

Post by Quilter51 »

I think the reason it doesn't make sense for me to use cash envelopes is because I order and pick up in almost every area, so even if I used the system, I'd have to do it on paper. Except for aldi my groceries and household suppplies are ordered every other week or monthly and either delivered or picked up. I even do curbside for craft supplies as I really truly do not like going into stores inluess its a small family store or I absoutely need to see/feel/touch which isn ot often.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

floridacatlover wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:27 pm I use all three - debit, credit and cash. I mostly use debit for grocery shopping. I got into the habit with mom and still use a separate checking account that we shared and I keep only a limited amount above the minimum in it. (Since my wallet was stolen a number of years ago, I no longer carry the debit card which goes to my regular checking account.)

I use credit for most things because I want to get the % cash back. My primary credit card gives 1 1/2% cash back. I had a card that gave 2% cash back but using the points/cash back was a real pain so I cancelled the card. Starting in January I’ll do my grocery shopping with Discover because they are giving 5% cash back for three months. I did this once before. I always pay my cc in full each month.

I do like to keep cash on hand and often use it when I go to restaurants and use it for tips at the service station when they check my tire pressure and other tips. I used $2 cash to pay parking this week at lunch. When my friend drives I always pay the parking.

I’m tight with money so do not really have trouble with my budget even though I’m not as frugal as many of you.
I have a Discover card that I never use - I should break it out!
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

clemencia2us wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:40 pm I have a Discover card that I never use - I should break it out!
I didn’t use my Discover card for a long time. I’m surprised that they didn’t cancel my card. But something prompted me to use the card a few years ago and I use it sporadically now.

To get the 5% on groceries Jan. -March 2023, you’ll need to log into your account online and activate the offer. Once you give your email address, you’ll start getting these quarterly bonus offers in email and you won’t have to sign into your account to activate the offers. You just click the link.

I like Discover. Even after mom died, they mailed me a check for the reward dollars she had accumulated.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

We are USAA members (DH's dad was career Navy) and have a credit card with them. We don't accumulate a lot of rewards dollars, something like a scorching $30 a year, but it goes straight to our auto insurance bill (also with USAA).

I was reading on Reddit about a guy who was successfully churning something like 30 credit cards as a sideline, making thousands a year in rewards. He had a high income and it was a profitable game for him, but I felt kind of faint reading about it.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

MackerelCat wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:40 pm We are USAA members (DH's dad was career Navy) and have a credit card with them. We don't accumulate a lot of rewards dollars, something like a scorching $30 a year, but it goes straight to our auto insurance bill (also with USAA).

I was reading on Reddit about a guy who was successfully churning something like 30 credit cards as a sideline, making thousands a year in rewards. He had a high income and it was a profitable game for him, but I felt kind of faint reading about it.
SAme - have USAA checking, credit and insurance. I know for some reason, I usually get money reimbursed for my insurance bill. can't remember.

The usaa card is the one that I will use at the gas pump.