Daily Check In December 7, 2018

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Re: Daily Check In December 7, 2018

Post by mbrudnic » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:31 am

LOL Gayle, No apologies. I also process things by talking/writing about them.

I texted DS2 to let him know I transferred money to his account to pay next semester's tuition and he let me know he got his package last night. Now we seem to be negotiating when he will come home and get his car for next weekend. His Dad is out of town until the 20th according to my sources. He mentioned Next Thursday or Friday. I had to tell him I was not available either day/evening to come get him, so he needed to ask someone else or find a different day.

Dgflorida

Post by Dgflorida » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:10 am

Good warm Friday morning all,

The house stayed at 70F as the outside air went to 48F last night. The north windows had no weeping window frames since I put the wooden hurricane shutters up. My neighbors have weeping frames this time of year. It must be a Florida thing. Or a rural thing or both.

Based on my experience and weather predictions, I don't think I will be able to avoid using the heat this month. Tomorrow, it is supposed to be 80F and it will be interesting to see how much that raises the house temperature. Most of my neighbors have had the heat running at night, so I am doing good and not suffering. I sure hope I see the frugality reflected in the electric bill.

Today, I hope to get outside work done. The weather should be warm enough to do that. I may try to get a coat of paint on the wooden hurricane shutters. It is clear that it needs an additional coat. I am always happy to use up a gallon of paint completely. It is very frustrating to watch the last pint dry up. Such a waste. I will put up plastic over the porch windows this winter. I wish I could use the old plexiglass windows in frames, but most of them are in bad shape. Well we will see.

I had planned to make draft stoppers by filling the old socks with shredded paper, but if humidity is a winter problem, it would be best to fill them with something else.

Normal frugal things around the house. A good day to hang out a load of laundry. The winds have abated and the air is warm. The dryer vents to the inside of the house now. The vent outside is closed off for the winter. The house humidity is a bit high. This may be a side effect of the insulation. I am considering a dehumidifier as a result. This is not frugal in my opinion since it uses the electricity I am trying to save. Well, we will see.

Today, I am grateful for warming weather. I am also grateful that old dance partner had a good and successful scuba trip. I am also grateful that I live a 1000 miles away from him because he is such a Debbie downer most of the time. Have a good day all.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:42 am

Getting ready to take off on our short little trip.

Hope my pups survived being here with the COD. He won't tend to their every little spoiled need, but they will survive = :D

A little rain, but tomorrow should be sunny and bright.

Have a zippy little rental SUV - Nissan. I like driving different cars.

Hope all have a nice safe weekend and leave all our troubles behind us.

Oh - today is Pearl Harbor Day.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:51 am

Good morning all.

Safe travels, Jackie and Clem.

I’m meeting my friend at Starbucks this morning. We’ll solve the problems of the world and talk about travel, too.

I’ve bagged up the old mattress pad and flannel sheet plus quite a few cans of cat food (all dated 2019) to give to the animal shelter. I saved a few cans of cat food dated 2020 just in case Pippi goes off the thyroid food for some reason. I’d like to get to the animal shelter before meeting my friend but realistically it will probably be later.

Probably won’t go to mom’s house today and just do cleaning and laundry at my own house later this afternoon.

Have a good day. Stay warm.

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:37 am

by Dgflorida » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:10 am

Good warm Friday morning all,

The house stayed at 70F as the outside air went to 48F last night. The north windows had no weeping window frames since I put the wooden hurricane shutters up. My neighbors have weeping frames this time of year. It must be a Florida thing. Or a rural thing or both.

Based on my experience and weather predictions, I don't think I will be able to avoid using the heat this month. Tomorrow, it is supposed to be 80F and it will be interesting to see how much that raises the house temperature. Most of my neighbors have had the heat running at night, so I am doing good and not suffering. I sure hope I see the frugality reflected in the electric bill.

Today, I hope to get outside work done. The weather should be warm enough to do that. I may try to get a coat of paint on the wooden hurricane shutters. It is clear that it needs an additional coat. I am always happy to use up a gallon of paint completely. It is very frustrating to watch the last pint dry up. Such a waste. I will put up plastic over the porch windows this winter. I wish I could use the old plexiglass windows in frames, but most of them are in bad shape. Well we will see.

I had planned to make draft stoppers by filling the old socks with shredded paper, but if humidity is a winter problem, it would be best to fill them with something else.

Normal frugal things around the house. A good day to hang out a load of laundry. The winds have abated and the air is warm. The dryer vents to the inside of the house now. The vent outside is closed off for the winter. The house humidity is a bit high. This may be a side effect of the insulation. I am considering a dehumidifier as a result. This is not frugal in my opinion since it uses the electricity I am trying to save. Well, we will see.

Today, I am grateful for warming weather. I am also grateful that old dance partner had a good and successful scuba trip. I am also grateful that I live a 1000 miles away from him because he is such a Debbie downer most of the time. Have a good day all.
The extra humidity in your house is from venting the dryer into the house.

Yes, the dryer puts out heat, but also moisture.

Penny

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:38 am

A very gray cloudy rainy day cold for south central Texas.

I have my trash gathered and out. I have a dress load in the dryer towels in the washer.

This has been a morning of do overs. I poured distilled water into a measuring cup discovered a bug. So dumped that water and with a fresh measuring cup poured more water into it. I then was able to use my netti pot.

I got the notice from Social Security that my check will be going up $30 a month next year. Of course my bills have gone up more than $30. But every bit helps.

Penny