Daily Check-in August 13, 2020

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check-in August 13, 2020

Post by clemencia2us »

HappyDaze wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:09 pm
Are your twin sisters identical? My parents are both right handed and had 3 children. Two of us are left handed - go figure.
yes they are identical

Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

The all clear signal went off after an hour of sitting in the bathroom. Whew!

There was at least one tornado touch down 15 minutes west of here. The photos have very ominous clouds with this tornado coming from them. Glad it wasn't here. I hope everyone is okay in Westman from this outbreak. Seems like we are living in tornado alley this summer.

Just going to go fix some supper and continue to reduce my storm-induced anxiety!

MJ
"When they show you who they are, believe them." Maya Angelou

LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Prairie Waif2 wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:05 pm
The all clear signal went off after an hour of sitting in the bathroom. Whew!

There was at least one tornado touch down 15 minutes west of here. The photos have very ominous clouds with this tornado coming from them. Glad it wasn't here. I hope everyone is okay in Westman from this outbreak. Seems like we are living in tornado alley this summer.

Just going to go fix some supper and continue to reduce my storm-induced anxiety!

MJ
Glad to hear that your area was not impacted by the storm.

Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

We have a sprinkling system. In a drought area like CO it doesn't matter much..son hasn't had to mow for well over a month and things are dry and patchy except under the twp large trees ...we have a big yard.
http://richlyretired.blogspot.com

chocolite

Post by chocolite »

SandiSAHM wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:07 pm
I'm sorry for the lost of your friend.

Isn't the brain interesting? Given time and effort humans can adapt to a lot of things. I wonder if she hadn't been sick if she would ever have been able to sew left-handed. Do they even make left-handed sewing machines, I wonder. Now I have to Google.

For just a moment I remembered that I worked in Jackson, TN for a while with the son of a much-awarded quilter - it's amazing what someone people can do - but then my slow brain caught up and realized that while he lived in TN then, his mom has always lived in TX. Besides quilts, she made a point of doing a quilted Christmas jacket every year and the detail on those... WOW. Took nearly the whole year, and when she was done she'd start planning the next one.
Yes, these quilters are a force to be reckoned with, lol. Dana did try to sew left handed but by then her C-spine had a fracture or two, and it just became impossible. For the last couple years of her life she had to be super careful b/c even regular movements could end up breaking a bone. She was so amazing though...even after all life threw at her, she never lost her light.
Patty

chocolite

Post by chocolite »

floridacatlover wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:27 pm
Your story reminded me of my dad. His first stroke affected his right side. After seven weeks in rehab he came home and my mom cared for him for the next six years. He never walked unassisted but could do most things and worked with weights to strengthen his left arm, working his way up to 10 pound weights. He was very dedicated to trying to be as independent as possible.
Wow, he sounds like a strong and determined man. These stories always make me wonder how I would do in the face of such adversity. I don't know if I have the grit to survive and keep pushing. I hope I won't' have to find out.
Patty