Daily Check In May 13, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
chocolite

Re: Daily Check In May 13, 2021

Post by chocolite »

Afternoon, frugal friends. I just got back from a grocery pickup. It was a small order, mainly produce and Skinny Cows, lol.

I have a pot of pinto beans with ham going on the stove and it smells really good. I'll make some cornbread later to go with it.

I've done most of my pre-surgery stuff: EKG, chest x-ray, and blood work. Some of my blood work was abnormal, but the doctor said she would write the clearance anyway...thank God. My last step is tomorrow when I get my Covid test. Then full speed ahead. Yay.

I'm kind of worried about Hobbes. He's been sneezing off and on for a couple days. He doesn't seem to have any other symptoms, except maybe a tiny discharge in one of his eyes. He seems to feel fine, but I'm keeping a close eye on him.
Patty
https://thenextchapterforpatty.blogspot.com/

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

It’s been a weird day with all of the windows covered except the small part of the front door that is glass. It will be like this for awhile because it’s been raining and I don’t think they got much done. I’ll go out to look after they leave. But I’ve decided not to go to mom’s house today. I don’t think we got a heck of a lot of rain according to the radar and what I could hear, but it is more than what I would have put on the lawn with the hose.

I watched one of the Marie Kondo episodes on Netflix for decluttering encouragement. Why have I saved so much backup paperwork?? One thick folder was labeled “Retirement” and it was full of forms and papers from my former company. I saved a very few of the papers that were copies of my pension election. (I’m happy I have a small pension but looking at the paperwork hits home that it has no COLA.) About half the excess paper can just be thrown away and I’ll shred half (to be on the safe side.) On a positive note, in the back of the folder I found cards from co-workers and a copy of the invitation for my retirement luncheon. Those I’ll save.

Pippi is curled up aside of me. I know she wonders why she can’t see the people she hears outside.

No more masks (for the most part). Yeah!

Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Salut toute le mond!

Well my first two days of being a babysitter have gone great!! Emmitt and I are buddies. Yesterday we looked up snakes and most deadly things in Mexico (at Emmitt's request). We also did Google maps to figure out how long it would get to his different Grandma's houses and his auntie's in Florida. After we figured out how many days it would take to drive, we then figured out how long it would take for an adult to walk that far! It was fun. We then watched Spiderman and I now know that Peter B. Parker is his name. Don't forget the "B!" I got him to school yesterday and today at the right time so that was good!

Not so good? Yesterday, this tiny little girl came running out from NOWHERE across the street and didn't even look at ANYTHING! If she hadn't had on a bright coral colored sweater I'd have hit her. I was driving very slowly but still a little girl hit by a van? Not good. SO, now here is where the story changes. I got Emmitt to school in time to have a few minutes to chat with his buddies on the playground. As I was backing out, I was being SO VERY conscientious of kids BEHIND me I didn't look BESIDES me and I klonked the front bumper on the driver's side into a telephone pole. I'm car jinxed. I really don't care about being paid to look after Emmitt. I want them to put the money into fixing the car and then me adding in the rest. Sigh. It doesn't look really awful but you know body repairs. UGH! I still have to tell Zoe so she can tell John. :cry: :cry:

After that? I decided I needed to break my bad mojo and got a Subway Sandwich. I came home to eat in and have been watching the news about not needing to wear a mask in the USA if you are fully vaccinated. That's great news!! Unfortunately for us CANADIANS, it looks like we won't be getting fully vaccinated for month's yet. We may have one shot but the second shot is 4 months away for people in Manitoba. :roll: :roll:

Tonight is another night the dishwasher needs to be unloaded. I'll have to determine what to have for supper. I might go easy and just make some fussili noodles with some margarine and poppy seeds. It's a pretty nice supper and I had a nice sandwich for lunch so. . .

That's the skinny from around here!!

MJ
"When they show you who they are, believe them." Maya Angelou

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I had to go buy a new mop

I use the OCedar twist mop.

This is the second mop that has broken in a year. Maybe i use it too much or they are just not made as sturdy as before.

I do mop daily. Not a lot, just certain areas. I used to like the libman, but I like this one cuz it is bigger.

jckitty

Post by jckitty »

(((MJ))),

I feel for you sister, I really do....

DD got the estimate for brakes and struts/shocks .... :o It is a lot!!!! So she is having the fiancé look at it and price it ....the thing is it's a high dollar car and when things go out on a high dollar car, it costs high dollars to fix them. It is worth fixing and since it is her only vehicle....

I picked up the sticks and pulled some weeds, I fed the weeds to the chickens.

I ended up having wings, leftover mashed potatoes and corn for supper...Cassoulet not completely thawed so tomorrow....
Still haven't got my weedeater back yet, and I told her I wanted to use it tomorrow morning....I am not happy and am considering telling her the next time she asks "no".
She just texted, she will walk it down here in a bit...her vehicle won't start...she is online clothes shopping but won't pay to get her vehicle fixed....boggles my mind.

JCKitty

Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

jckitty wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 7:15 pm
(((MJ))),

I feel for you sister, I really do....

DD got the estimate for brakes and struts/shocks .... :o It is a lot!!!! So she is having the fiancé look at it and price it ....the thing is it's a high dollar car and when things go out on a high dollar car, it costs high dollars to fix them. It is worth fixing and since it is her only vehicle....

I picked up the sticks and pulled some weeds, I fed the weeds to the chickens.

I ended up having wings, leftover mashed potatoes and corn for supper...Cassoulet not completely thawed so tomorrow....
Still haven't got my weedeater back yet, and I told her I wanted to use it tomorrow morning....I am not happy and am considering telling her the next time she asks "no".
She just texted, she will walk it down here in a bit...her vehicle won't start...she is online clothes shopping but won't pay to get her vehicle fixed....boggles my mind.

JCKitty
Thanks JC! I broke the news to Zoe, who will tell John. She was more worried that I was okay and as they know me very well, she knew I'd spent the afternoon freaking out. Yup. I'm a HUGE worrier. I panic over just about everything. But what can ya do when you goof it up? Just gotta hang in there!

I don't go babysitting tomorrow but will be going for certain next Wednesday, Thursday and Friday when John will be going out of town to do more high tower satellite installations and fixes. I'm really looking forward to it. He may get called in any morning so I will be up to check my FB messenger to see if he got called in and need me over for the morning.

Whew! Another rough day!! (That makes 3 now so can they stop? 1. my car dying on the highway. 2. My friend yelling at me to shut-up. 3. Running into a telephone pole with someone else's van. UGH!).

I'm just about ready for bed. I know I'll wake-up a few times during the night worried about the van but that's just gonna be the way it is. . .

MJ
"When they show you who they are, believe them." Maya Angelou