Check in: May 1st, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Re: Check in: May 1st, 2021

Post by Jackielou »

Update

I learned today that my neighbour that has been here since we moved in is putting her house up for sale this coming week. Dang. I will miss talking to her over the fence and all the fresh fruit we shared with her. She would give me apples and plums and I would give her cherries. Hmmm, perhaps we will need to plant our own plum tree.

Other than that not much exciting has happened. I did manage to get in my 10K steps, and have cleaned all leftovers out of the fridge.

No baking however as I needed to insert budget totals and file a bunch of papers. Perhaps a pie will be made after supper.

I have almost finished January on the temperature blanket. Hope to get part of February done as well. Binge watching Hercule Poirot while doing so. (Did I spell that right???)

Off to get the supper warmed up and try and think of a name for May's challenge.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

JCKitty, I may have to try diluted paint tomorrow if this doesn't dye dark enough. Soaking the cord washed the starch out of it, so if the paint makes it a little stiff, that will be okay.
Mackie
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

chocolite wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:46 pm Afternoon, all. It's been a quiet day around here. Audrey has been glued to my side all day. I do wish she wasn't as clingy as she is. She's like a heater pressed up against me every time I sit down. Ugh.

Today has been a spendy day. I ordered DH's birthday gift from Amazon. He wanted Airpods with the wireless charging base. Sheesh. But he deserves to have a great birthday. I will make him a chocolate cake, which will make him happy too. I use my mom's easy recipe that has mayo in it, and it's super moist and delicious, and I make the frosting from the recipe on the Hershey's Cocoa box.

We got our tax assessment for our house this week, and it gave me sticker shock. It went up $59,000 over last year. I know houses are selling for more, but good grief. I have a friend in the neighborhood who is a realtor and she's going to look at nearby comps with me to see if it's worth appealing. Ugh.

It has been a beautiful day here, quite warm. I think rain is forecasted to come through tomorrow.

I made a roast with vegetables in the oven yesterday, so that's on the menu today as well. I'd like to make a dessert but Lord knows we don't need it.........
Patty..that cake recipe sounds like MY Mom's choc. cake...made with mayo!
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

MackerelCat wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:48 pm He might not be able to eat the pork kibble then. It's bigger than an M & M, but somewhat flat. There is one company that makes breed specific foods, so I will look around to see what's out there for dogs with little mouths.

I am whupped. Did the grocery shopping, then put the groceries away and started right in on cooking dinner. Earlier today I cleaned and painted an old air vent from DS's bathroom. DH had soaked it in WD-40 to get it working again. So it took some time but we managed to not have to buy a new vent.

I so wanted to do a little beef roast, but the prices were horrifying. Instead we bought some thin sliced eye of round marked down -- it had not a speck of marbling in it -- and I slivered it up, cooked it gently in a skillet with some olive oil, garlic, ground black pepper, and then added barbecue sauce and let it sit over the lowest heat while I put together some seasoned rice and a pot of green beans. It was delicious.

We could not find dye to color the white cord DH bought to repair the brown steel blinds in our den, so I mixed up a disgusting concoction of half a small jar of instant coffee, a big scoop of plain cocoa powder, three beef broth cubes and a lot of strong hot black tea and am soaking the cord in that. It seems to be working pretty well. We are going to let it soak overnight and then rinse it and dry it out tomorrow.

Mackie thanks for thinking of Teddi and me but I do not want to put you to any extra trouble. You have enough on your plate. I will try to look in to it for on my own. His vet did mention sending me to see an animal nutritionist if I wanted to continue cooking for him here at home. That is another option I need to look in to. I really appreciate your concern and your advice. You have been so helpful.

Great frugal save on the register. I hope the cording turns out well. You really are creative in trying to be frugal.
Janet Alliesmama