Daily Check in May5

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check in May5

Post by floridacatlover »

Mackie, you are making so many improvements in your office and the university as a whole!

I was successful in my trip to the book drop box. Back home I went through my pension folder and got rid of more than half but there probably are other papers I could discard. (Our pension plan is VERY underfunded and it would not surprise me if the government Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp. has to take it over at some point so I’m keeping all the original paperwork.)

I also did shredding and looked through my bookcases for other books to donate and found a few. Then I saw four or five folders with more paperwork! It gets discouraging. I’ve been such a paper pack rat. One folder had my original application for the ACA so I cleared that out. Some others have medical paperwork but I’ll save that for another day.

I still have so much to do but I figure that every paper I clear out is one that someone else won’t have to deal with later.
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

MackerelCat wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:00 pm ICFrugal, you are such a good wife. (((hugs))) Sophie sounds like such a little blessing.

I got all sweaty and dirty this afternoon, having made good on my promise to liberate some office furniture from the abandoned building wing next door. You know that commercial furniture from the 1970s that had heavy natural wood frames shaped like a rounded square that formed the arms and legs? I scored a loveseat and an armchair of that style, upholstered in gray plush Herculon, so it cleaned up with a few drops of dish soap and a hot, wet rag. It weighs A TON and I dragged it by myself. Whew.

I also carted two enormous bags of paper trash to the dumpster that had been around the office for more than a year (we have no staff to pick up recycling, so it just sat), and did some impromptu dumpster diving. The students are moving out today and someone had dumped a perfectly clean shower curtain and two cute throw pillows in our office dumpster. They're in the wash right now. The shower curtain is going to Goodwill, but the pillows will go on our "new" office seating.

Since I had the whole office torn apart, I consolidated some stuff out of a junky, broken set of plastic drawers on wheels to get rid of it and swapped the positions of a bookcase and our fridge/microwave/coffee pot. The bookcase is where we keep the first aid kits and it makes them easier to get to in an emergency.

And that ought to be enough for a day. :-D
Mackie...you are working wonders in that office! Single handed!!
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Jackie...so glad your DS got his shot.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Bonne apres midi toute le monde!

Sounds like everyone is keeping busy and good things are happening on the medical fronts of shots and hyperbolic therapy for toes (I sure hope his treatments start making good improvements and healing soon).

Nothing too big or new happening around here, same old same old. I did wake-up to a nightmare. It was such a start I was out of bed ready to take on my foe when I realized I was just dreaming. I wanted to get back under my warm covers but that's not how it works. So I got up early, took my meds and waited my hour before making eggs for breakfast. After a couple of hours of watching the news, I went back to bed for a 45 minute nap, or rather, to finish sleeping!

I am just sitting down now with my coffee. I am on cup one of my two for the day.

Yesterday, I got out my old bike pump from the storage room. It's always been a great little gadget. Well, I couldn't get the pieces to work even though I put in my best effort and even watched a couple of YouTube videos on how it should work. It isn't. The little rubber gasket is almost hard as a rock and that makes it kind of unuseable. Phooey! I did look at bike air pumps at Canadian Tire and can get one in the $10-15 range. I think I have just enough of my income tax refund to buy one. Until then? Opal and I are hanging out and I'm looking forward to trying my bicycle on a trek down the smooth, flat bike/walking trail across the street from me.

I cancelled the car insurance yesterday. I was hoping there would be a decent refund since it had only been insured for a little over a week and a half. Nope. I have a $4.00 credit for my "next" car. :lol: Unless I get gifted from on high? There isn't going to be another car for me. I just can't save up the $2,500-$3,000 to get a used car with a safety (the certification needed for a new owner to insure it).

I called the garage and they told me it was $136/hour for diagnostics to tell me she was dead or not. I called the tow truck man who said he'd look at it (for free) and let me know. He was pretty sure she was a goner. I also had him tow the car from the mechanic's shop to his compound. He will store it there until I get word from him and determine what to do. Because the car is 20 years old, I don't expect to get much scrap money for her but it does have tires so new I haven't even finished paying them off on the government insurance plan. She also had a new (cheap though) battery from Canadian Tire installed in January. The tires might get me more money. I expect somewhere around $300. The neighbor upstairs sold his car for scrap and that's all he got.

Supper tonight will be split pea soup that my friend's hubby made. I took it out of the freezer the other night. It is a bit too thick for my liking so I have some open chicken broth that I will add to it. I may add in some toast with it. I usually have a slice of my homemade bread with peanut butter before bread so may just stick to the soup.

Well, that's the skinny from around here!!

MJ and Opal!
Hope has a good imagination.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Update:
Just back from youngest grands 1st pee wee softball game. Not gonna lie, it just about made me bawl seeing my baby out there all in stance yelling "hey batta batta"..too cute for words.

It was chilly and some wind, but i took blankets, and pulled up the hood on my jacket, I also wore a bandeau over my ears. I cannot stand to have wind in my ears.
It is getting colder this evening, my heat has been coming on :( ugh! I love the days where I don't use either heat or AC, windows open...fresh air.

Mackie, sounds like you have had quite a day LOL

My morel mushrooms that I have under jars are getting really big...maybe this weekend I will pick and eat.

Off to read and catch some mindless TV
JCKitty