Daily Check In May 8, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Grannysewstoys

Re: Daily Check In May 8, 2021

Post by Grannysewstoys »

My daughter surprised me with the most wonderful Early Mother’s Day present. She brought dinner over. We had a wonderful visit over a takeout meal from Taco Cabana, a regional Mexican restaurant.

She taking me out on Friday too.

Penny
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I must be old fashioned

Schools around here are having their prom

Lots of parents posting pics.

OMG - I am glad that there are no pics of me and my prom date - :mrgreen:

I can't remember what I wore.

But some of these outfits are too skimpy. I must be a prude. :mrgreen:
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

clemencia2us wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:10 pm I must be old fashioned

Schools around here are having their prom

Lots of parents posting pics.

OMG - I am glad that there are no pics of me and my prom date - :mrgreen:

I can't remember what I wore.

But some of these outfits are too skimpy. I must be a prude. :mrgreen:
Lol-I know right!? Even in my day, all the girls dressed very sexy and looked all grown up! My prom date was my husband (well he was my bf then) and I wanted to look like Cinderella for some reason so a big ball gown looking thing and it was not a hoop skirt but it looked like one with lots of layers underneath it! THINK Princess Diana wedding dress vibes with the poofy sleeves and ribbons but in lavender! Yes, looking back on it, I looked awkward-and even worse, not used to heels and the dress was too long,every time I went up the steps, I heard something tear on each step! :shock: Luckily, my dh was so ga-ga over me that I could have worn a garbage bag with duct tape and he would say I was beautiful-ahhhh miss those days! :lol:

My kids think it was our wedding reception and I said, "No... it was my prom!" I never knew why of all the places our Catholic girl's high school chose to go to "Bimbo's" as our venue :? :lol: !

My dd was kind of like me-she wanted to look like a Disney Princess too! She was gorgeous! But she didn't have a date they went as a group of girls (her high school was small-very few boys). The girl who went with my oldest son, she had no money for a dress (an orphan being raised by a mean uncle and aunt-they took all of her grad money to pay their mortgage! So even though I did not really like her as my son's gf, I felt sorry for her so gave her money for her grad gift and told her not to tell her aunt and uncle after I found out they took the other money)so borrowed from a friend a very revealing dress as it is but since the girl was shorter and smaller it was even more revealing on her! I was worried!
chocolite

Post by chocolite »

Prairie Waif2 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:56 pm Salut toute le monde

I was trying to decide if I wanted to check-in today or not. I'm not having a good day and it started yesterday afternoon.

My eye check-up went well and I got a lovely new set of frames so will have my new prescription and glasses in two or three weeks. I told the woman choosing frames that I wanted some color as that seems to be the "big" dealio now. She brought over maybe 20 frames. The first ones I saw where the ones I got, I loved them as soon as I saw them and they fit and look well on me. They have a teal color above the eye and have metal at the bottom that helps hold in the lenses. The arms also have a variety of colors so it really "ups" my fashion quota. I asked them when I had been there last and they told me 2014!! Time goes by quickly!! They couldn't believe my current pair of glasses has no scratches on the lenses and looked so good. Well, ya gotta clean them while wet or you DO get scratches.

My friend (the one who is really my only friend I can get rides from during the week and now that the car blew-up) had given me a ride to my eye appointment and then we went to Canadian tire where she got a plant and some stuff for her plants. I got myself a new bicycle pump. We had gone to the bicycle shop in town and the guy there declared my old pump "dead." The rubber gasket had gotten too hard over the years (almost 28!!). We were then going to the grocery store so I could get some flour, margarine and brown sugar so I could do some baking.

As we were going to the store, I mentioned the Canadian Candy Package I am sending a friend in Texas. She said she could probably print out the label cheaper than going to the Shoppers Drug Mart Postal outlet. I said, "That would be nice, with trump and DeJoy destroying the post office. . ." She then told me to shut-up. She didn't want to hear anything about trump. I then tried to say what I had wanted to say, "I am wondering how long this candy will take to get to Jim." Instead, she kept telling me to shut-up, she didn't want to hear it. It was VERY uncomfortable. I've talked to my shrink about this behavior of her before. It really hurts my feelings. I then said, "I wish I had the nerve to tell people to SHUT-UP when I don't feel like hearing what they have to say." She then went to say, "Well, you go on and on and on and I don't want to hear it." I said, "So do you!" To which she replied, "Yah? On what?! You can't name anything because I don't!!" By now we were at Sobeys grocery store, I went in and got my items, came back out to the car and only said, "Margarine, Parkay, is $2.00 off) and then sat silently until we got to my apartment where I thanked her for the time and rides all over town and went inside.

Well, my PTSD didn't like that interaction at all, too much like times at home with my "mother." I cried for a few hours and went to bed at 7 pm. I got up around midnight and killed some anxiety by watching TV and then went back to bed. It's really upset me, A LOT. People on Mother's Day are always going on about "cherishing" your mother and you only have "one" etc. It's one of the most painful days of the year for me.

I'm not one of those people who does angry/upset cleaning. I cry instead. I still feel so bad today I've been crying on and off. I miss my Dad. He and I could talk about anything and everything and no one told anyone they were bored or to Shut-up. I'm not doing anything today but trying to talk myself into feeling better. I realize my friend has her own issues with bipolar disorder and anxiety (which is when she goes on and on about something but I wasn't going to hurt her feeling back) but when she does that to ANYONE it is exceedingly rude and hurtful to some people, me being one of them.

Sorry for going on. I live alone. Our Province just went CODE RED again as we have higher numbers this weeks since the pandemic began. Even the hospital here in town has lots of COVID-19 cases. The other day a man in his 50s died. Code red has closed down the restaurants and patios again, further restricted gatherings and my apartment block has signs up saying that you can't be in the hallways without a mask and no visiting in apartments, only people on the lease can be in an apartment. This CODE RED is until the end of May. Our hospitals are really filling up and they are going to be moving elective surgeries to smaller hospitals so that they can continue without using COVID space.

I may make a rhubarb crisp later tonight. I have to run the dishwasher and get my pan out to use.

That's the skinny from around here.

MJ
((((((MJ))))))

I'm so sorry.
Patty