Gambling - a RANT!

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Re: Gambling - a RANT!

Post by Quilter51 »

I deliberately avoid places that say they can't hire people. What they really mean is they won't pay a decent salary. Which is why restaurants especially along with groceries are having a hard time. The pay is not enough and the stress is too high.

Trees I am the queen of the lunch and happy hour. Two thousand buckaroo is a lot of food (and probably wine)
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

Quilter51 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:29 pm I deliberately avoid places that say they can't hire people. What they really mean is they won't pay a decent salary. Which is why restaurants especially along with groceries are having a hard time. The pay is not enough and the stress is too high.

Trees I am the queen of the lunch and happy hour. Two thousand buckaroo is a lot of food (and probably wine)
It is actually astounding. They would treat people to dinner. Tip their favorite waitresses really well. They had the money because they were living completely free of expenses.
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Many months I spend less than $2k on EVERYTHING!
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

floridacatlover wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:01 am Many months I spend less than $2k on EVERYTHING!
We do too! Our house has been paid off for years....so no huge expenses.
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I've lived on a very low income before. Is it fun? NO. Is it doable? YES - if you're not driving 120 miles to get manicures and pedicures. Unemployment benefits are $300 a week before taxes are taken out - a minimum wage job in New York State at 40 hours a week would get you $500 a week before taxes are taken out and my sister could likely find a job at a few dollars over minimum wage if she wanted to.

The help wanted ads for our area are packed with full time and part time jobs starting at $15 to $18 an hour, a few with no college degree required - driving people to medical appointments, receptionist positions, night time cleaning crew, early morning baker at a restaurant - 4 a.m. to 10:00 a.m., Monday through Saturday. One woman who owns a cleaning services is begging for help - guaranteeing 30 hours a week at $15 an hour, she provides all the equipment and supplies.

I get it - I do. Why not ride the wave of unemployment if you're not hurting anyone else and you can pay your own way without being a moocher? I understand everyone needs some help now and again - but if someone were helping me that way, I would be living a whole different lifestyle.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

ChristmasTrees wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:37 pm It is actually astounding. They would treat people to dinner. Tip their favorite waitresses really well. They had the money because they were living completely free of expenses.
Trees, did they at least ever take your Mother to dinner?
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz