What do you guys do?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
frugalmom

What do you guys do?

Post by frugalmom »

My dh closes the shutters and blinds due to the sun and heat when the air conditioning is on and even when not. I know it gets hotter when they open, but I like it bright and airy and not dark. My house is a little on the dark side as it is so when you close everything it gets darker. So is anyone like me that likes it light and what do you do when it is hot then?
clemencia2us

Re: What do you guys do?

Post by clemencia2us »

How hot does it get there?

I like natural light. I keep the blinds and curtains open in my room. Well where people can't see in

The blinds in the kitchen are open too.

But we keep the AC at 79 and it is very comfy.
Quilter51

Post by Quilter51 »

I.oprn things in the cool.of the day and partially close them as the light comes in depends how they are facing. With my blinds I dint close them all.the was I put them at an angle to cut the sun but so that I can still see out.
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

clemencia2us wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:25 pm How hot does it get there?,

I like natural light. I keep the blinds and curtains open in my room. Well where people can't see in

The blinds in the kitchen are open too.

But we keep the AC at 79 and it is very comfy.
It can get into the low 100s sometimes during the summer-we are the hottest out here pretty much. I like natural light as well- I like to wake up by light and go by my body and the natural lighting to determine my sleep time and wake up time (biorhythms, I guess). My choice would be that all the blinds would be completely open!
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

We have off white cellular light-filtering blinds that are top-down/bottom up (see link). Total control over how much light gets in and from where, and let enough light in even when completely closed that it never looks dark in a room. They have insulation value, too.

The living room and master bedroom windows face south, but there's a covered porch that runs along the back so there's a little added protection. It gets bright, but never "hot."

This is the result of having had 7 houses in this state, you figure out what works for winter and summer, and dress the windows (or build the house and then dress the windows) accordingly. The office is on the north side - same blinds, heavier curtains in winter.

https://www.justblinds.com/cellular-shades?width=16&height=20&utm_medium=pla&source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&utm_campaign=acq*sem*jb-g-pla-primary-promo*Cellular+Shades*****g*5267581620*c*NTM***9026505&utm_source=gog&utm_term=&utm_content=&gclid=CjwKCAjw-e2EBhAhEiwAJI5jgzB5Gm_1lL5wHssTXDgZnhJ8HB_QDb391eMw8IB7QcKVosqoMr8iWBoCb5IQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

It's incredibly unhealthy to not get enough daylight.

You can use that insulating shrink plastic that's usually used in the winter, it also works quite a bit for summer, helping to keep the ac inside. You might need an outdoor kit if your inside shutters would interfere with it.

In any case, close the shutters in rooms you're not using, like the bedrooms during the day. Close any that are getting glaring sunrise or sunset, but open when the sun has passed enough.

Remember that fans can help it feel cooler in the house, too, even with air conditioning. A cheap box fan on low is quiet and stirs the air enough to feel cooler.

But you really, really need to open those shutters daily
ohjodi