Emergency Broadband Benefits

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
frugalmom

Emergency Broadband Benefits

Post by frugalmom »

On GMA, this morning, it announced that the government is providing emergency benefits til Covid is over for broadband benefits for those that lost their jobs or qualify with their income. I think broadband means internet (Idk if that includes cable or not?). I went on the website buty many others msut have went on after that segment aired so it was busy and kept giving error messages. But hopefully, you guys will have some luck getting info!? It is getemergencybroadband.org (I think that is it-now my memory forgot just in these few minutes-sheesh!). Hopefully, this is info that will help someone here! It is first come, first serve! I Think from what I remember it provides 50.00 off! Of course, you have to qualify and prove you qualify.
floridacatlover

Re: Emergency Broadband Benefits

Post by floridacatlover »

https://www.fcc.gov/broadbandbenefit
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

floridacatlover wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:17 pm https://www.fcc.gov/broadbandbenefit
Thank you!
ohjodi

Post by ohjodi »

I signed up earlier this evening. It's up to $50/month off the internet bill " The program will end once the program funds are exhausted, or six months after the Department of Health and Human Services declares an end to the pandemic, whichever comes first."

So this will amount to several hundred dollars.

When you go to www.getemergencybroadband.org you have to first register with LifeLine, which is the website for the free/discount phone/cellphone program, and the site now includes this internet program. You have to register with an email address and password, then you answer questions to determine if you're eligible. The only personal info they ask for is your birth date and the last four of your SSN, and your address and phone number. If you're approved, you get an Application ID# right away. Then you call your provider and tell them you want to enroll, and give them the number.

I contacted my provider on their website via their text chat box thing, gave them the info, and the amount should be deducted from my next bills. It was easy, and the rep knew what I was talking about.

This program also gives you $100 off certain computer devices, the info is on the FCC link that frugalmom posted.
ohjodi
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

ohjodi wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:48 am I signed up earlier this evening. It's up to $50/month off the internet bill " The program will end once the program funds are exhausted, or six months after the Department of Health and Human Services declares an end to the pandemic, whichever comes first."

When you go to www.getemergencybroadband.org you have to first register with LifeLine, which is the website for the free/discount phone/cellphone program, and the site now includes this internet program. You have to register with an email address and password, then you answer questions to determine if you're eligible. The only personal info they ask for is your birth date and the last four of your SSN, and your address and phone number. If you're approved, you get an Application ID# right away. Then you call your provider and tell them you want to enroll, and give them the number.

I contacted my provider on their website via their text chat box thing, gave them the info, and the amount should be deducted from my next bills. It was easy, and the rep knew what I was talking about.

This program also gives you $100 off certain computer devices, the info is on the FCC link that frugalmom posted.
Oh great! Thank you for giving us the details because I was not sure about the intricacies of the plan or how to apply! I am glad the info helped you save money at least! Let us know if it helped any of you! We need to help each other with info like this, so when you hear of something let us know!
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

ohjodi wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:48 am I signed up earlier this evening. It's up to $50/month off the internet bill " The program will end once the program funds are exhausted, or six months after the Department of Health and Human Services declares an end to the pandemic, whichever comes first."

The apply now buttons all come up with error messages. I also chatted with the Lifeline, but they said that part is only for cell phones so we do not need this as dh pays only 13.00 with his internet and mine are free (my brother includes it on his own family plan). They said it is seperate from the broadband benefits. I am calling to get info but it is a 39 minute wait!

Sigh...I am wondering if my college dd who rooms with 5 people and they are on student loans and think 3 of them are totally paid for in grants,etc so I am the one that signed up for their internet account if we could get a discount on that which would help these girls as the apt rents for a yucky small 2 bedroom apt is like oh my dd just said 3125.00.month (even worse than what I thought)! Hence, why she has 5 roommates altogether. And even with Covid, we paid our part as the other girls despite the moratorium (like my mom's renters paid nothing for the most part and we can't do anything about it so I knew it hurt her so we are paying and doing our part-and it is up to August the contract-they do it differently in this college town). Half the time(more than half actually)she was not even there and at home!