Daily Check In May 13, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jackielou

Daily Check In May 13, 2021

Post by Jackielou »

Off to get coffee so starting us.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check In May 13, 2021

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

We got some desperately needed rain last night. Only about 3 1/2 tenths of an inch but since we are in a severe drought situation in my area we will take it. However we could use at least double that again today and tomorrow. At least this added a little bit of water to the rain barrel.

My neighbour got her house listed yesterday, but is very disappointed in what it has been listed for. It is listed for way less than she expected and it is doubtful that she will be able to afford the condo she has been looking at without hitting her savings. This could definitely be a hint that we should stay where we are until prices go back up a little bit.

Got a call from my financial planner (still not meeting face to face yet) and one of my smaller GIC's is coming due on the 17th of this month. We/I put that in for another year at a slightly better rate of return than the last one (she got a bit of a bonus for me). Rates are terrible right now.

A few combined errands this morning. A trip to the bank to get our allowances and deposit the pay back of my medical insurance, some bill paying, a drop off to the Salvation Army, and grocery shopping. Tomorrow I will be heading out to look at plants once again. Hopefully that will be my final plant buying trip (no promises however).

Frugally speaking I will be going for my daily walk shortly, following my menu plan (need to pull the sausage out for my supper), using up yarn and I have taken on the paid task of shortening some shirts and pants for a friends father. I will do one of each to see if they (mostly the Dad, he is extremely picky) likes them and then do the remaining. Perhaps this will get my sewing mojo in gear.

In other words just a regular boring day here on the old homestead.

Today I am grateful for coffee to wake me up in the morning.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

I did not sleep very well last night. Pippi started her meowing routine about 1 a.m. In addition to meowing, she now nuzzles me repeatedly (just in case I’m deaf, I assume!) so I did get up and give her water from the faucet and then had trouble going back to sleep.

The painters began covering my windows with a translucent plastic yesterday after they power washed and are covering the remaining windows and glass door. Makes me feel king of claustrophobic and Pippi doesn’t know what to make of the covered windows.

I plan to stay home most of the day but may go to mom’s house around 6 and water at least part of the yard. You all are probably tired of hearing me say I’m still decluttering. It feels SO good! I’m working on more magazines found in magazine boxes on a bookshelf, shredding medical and tax papers and decluttering other items here and there. I’m pretty sure I’m going to donate two white shelves picked up at rummage sales and now sitting in my closet under the stairs. They are very nice in perfect condition but I haven’t used them and really can’t think of a good place either at my house or mom’s house. That will be two pretty big items out of my way.

I haven’t done a puzzle in weeks and keep thinking I’ll start one but just haven’t done it yet.

Have a good day.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Good morning, frugal friends. Today I am still at the temporary work assignment office with my nice boss. I have done everything to whip his office suite into shape and today am waiting for his last few residents to turn in their keys. Tomorrow I have to start work in the main office for the summer. Urgh.

I have enjoyed working here and watching everyone walk their dogs down the street. Yesterday someone went by with the most adorable black and white half-grown dachshund puppy. So cute!

All the scrubbing and climbing up and down on step stools taking care of the office suite has about worn me out. I slept like the dead last night and it was hard for DH to wake me up this morning.

However, we did go out to our favorite Mexican restaurant last night for the first time 14 months. Our vaccinations have fully taken hold, and we celebrated with tacos and Mexican beer. It was delicious and so nice to have a hot meal I did not cook. The owner remembered DH's standard order after all these months away, which was pretty amazing. Prices have gone up: We used to eat there for $15 and it was $21 last night, but well worth it. DH joked in the car that we'll do it again next year. :-D

Hope you all have a peaceful day.
Mackie
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

Beautiful day in store for today, sunny and in the mid-60s, definitely a day to go outside.

Have been "swatching" a set of my colored pencils that I haven't done before. I have been using a printed color chart I found online, but it's not really a good match. Since one of my scheduled presentations was cancelled at the last minute I decided to do that today. It is time consuming because I have to type and print numbers and color names and then swatch in light, medium and then heavy pressure 150 pencils.

Was getting antsy so decided to go to a Dollar Tree yesterday. As I had to pass a major mall in the area I decided to stop there. Not sure as to what I was expecting but what I experienced certainly wasn't it. I knew I wasn't going to find it full or like I would if it had been Christmas time, but it was truly empty. If there were anywhere between 100 - 150 between employees and shoppers I would have said that was a lot, especially considering this mall is 4 floors. I did spend a little time walking around but didn't need anything so it was more of a window shopping trip than anything else. Was going to take some food out for lunch but decided against it. Strange experience, very strange. I also did not see anyone not wearing a mask.

My niece got lucky recently and won a 3 day, 2 night vacation package to Walt Disney World. She, her son and the boy's father went this weekend and had a great time. Made me feel a little bit envious LOL. Anyway the little boy is 5 and I had a chance to talk to him about a particular ride called Splash Mountain, one that my sister and I had thought might not be such a good one for a 5 year old. Anyway they took him on it. When I asked him about it yesterday, he said "it was scary, but I handled it". I nearly fell out of my chair laughing . . . he handled it. He certainly doesn't talk like a 5 year old.

Oh well, going back to my project. Have a wonderful day.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Good morning all,

Sunny again today and seems to be warming up a bit, doing house chores this AM and will mow this afternoon.
Had to text the renter to return my weed eater :? , she borrows it and then while she takes good care of it....I always have to ask for it back again. I am not as picky with my yard as she is...but I take care of over 2 acres and she has less than 1/2 acre to care for.

Yardwork will probably be the first thing I hire out when the time comes, I enjoy the flowers and mowed yard I just feel like it is like watching paint dry to mow.

Leftover thawed cassoulet and salad....

Might update later,

JCKitty