Daily Check in May 24, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in May 24, 2021

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning frugal Friends,

So I am ready to start the quilting part of my quilt. I finished the back, and decided to stitch up 3 sides and turn it. I don't like to put batting in a t-shirt quilt, I think they are heavy enough. So I will put binding on one end. I did end up sewing it so the sides face opposite ways. That is just the way it will stay.

This evening is support group meeting night. I hope I don't have late meetings, or I may take them on my phone. I am thinking I may start getting up early and going to the Y an using their walking track in the AM. I am not consistent about walking in the evenings and I really cannot take a whole bunch of time at lunch.

I stopped at Dillards department store and bought myself 3 new bras. I needed them. Busty girls like me have limited options and the prices are high. But this brand does not allow the underwire to bust out as easily as cheaper brands. And my attempts at repair don't last very long.

Have a great day,
Maggie

HappyDaze

Re: Daily Check in May 24, 2021

Post by HappyDaze »

Good Morning Maggie and all Frugal Friends. Maggie, I envy you gals who can make quilts and such! All I can make is trouble, and not very good at that, lol.

Today is the last day of my long weekend and I plan to enjoy it to the fullest. The purple and pink phlox are up out back where my lawn meets the woods - they are so pretty - I plan to pick a huge bouquet to bring into the house.

I heard my neighbor (not the awful one) leave for work at 5:30 then went back to sleep for awhile - nice. Coffee is tasting like liquid heaven this morning. I got the cats fed and the dogs have settled back down after being outside twice.

Off to check out a few frugal threads then work through my emails. Take care friends.

floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

Maggie, I’m glad that you got your new bras. We have Dillards, too, and it’s a nice store.

Sheila, enjoy the last day of your long weekend.

I slept fairly well. Pippi is back to more normal and woke me this morning. I didn’t mind because I was happy she was feeling better.

I plan to go to mom’s house but not until later this afternoon or early evening. Then if I have the energy I’ll stop at Home Depot for a few plants.

This afternoon I signed up for a Zoom workshop on Naturalization from the genealogy center. Several of my relatives were naturalized citizens. They have reopened the genealogy library (which is part of one of the public libraries) so I’m hoping that in-person genealogy classes and meetings will begin soon. About one-third of our members are Canadian snowbirds so most of them probably aren’t here.

Most of the day will be cleaning and decluttering. I’ve let my dusting go too long in many areas. I’ll give a good clean of Pippi’s new fountain which she is enjoying and I know from past experience they get grungy fast.

Have a good day.

Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

The sun is shining today, but the ground is sopping wet. At about 7 last night a steady and fairly hard rain started to fall. I think it must have carried on for most of the early morning hours. I haven't really gotten out to look at the rain gauge, but from the door way it looks as if 2" of rain fell pretty much during that time period.

Today after the household chores are completed I plan on moving all the plants back outside and giving them a good watering as well as hanging up all the sheets to dry so I can reuse them if necessary later in the week (it will be).

Lots to do today so I will be sticking close to home and that helps with the no spending/keeping costs low. Tomorrow we head to the city and depending upon the results may just do a bit of a spend after my appointment (results good) or come straight home (results not so good). Keeping my fingers crossed for good, as I would love to get a few things at Costco and Michael's as well as Fabricland.

Frugal happenings will be the usual that happen on a Monday, but I will probably hang things downstairs rather than outside today as my lines will be used for the sopping wet sheets/blankets. I need to go for my walk as well this morning. I won't be able to walk much tomorrow so may as well get in as many steps as I can.

I laid out some blocks for a new quilt yesterday evening. I have a plan, but will need to scout through my fabric bins for scraps of solid colour pieces so that I can do what I envision. I have lots of flowered prints, but very few solid colour squares. Here is hoping I can find what I need in my stash. I truly want this quilt to be a stash buster, as was my first quilt top for the year. Stash busting has become very important to me lately for some reason. Perhaps it is to make space for other things, and perhaps it is because I realize I have too much stuff. Pretty much stuff that no one would want or need either.

Supper tonight was going to be stir fry to use up some of the leftover pork from last night, however I think I may just switch things around a bit and do something with the leftover ham in the freezer. I believe there is some frozen chicken in there as well, boil a few eggs, grate some cheese and use up the remains of the salad. Make it yourself Chef Salads sound really good, and I clear out a few more items from the fridge freezer as well.

Today I am grateful for the rain we received, the fact that youngest DS will be home mid week for longer than the few days I had hoped for, and that today the sun is shining brightly.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.

clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

I am really sleepy but can't sleep - weird. My AC blower thing up in the attic is making a weird noise

Wah - I hate having house issues. It woke me up and then I couldn not go back to sleep - just thinking about it

I swear I am becoming more anxious as I get older. Is this normal?

Already drizzled a bit. It is overcast - will probably get more rain today.

I need to nap

Hope all have a great day

itspennyc

Post by itspennyc »

Yesterday, I just spent an hour cleaning my sewing machine, most of the time was spent fiddling with the screws that on the older machines were not there. A magnet held the plate in place and the other screw I needed to remove I could just move the part out of the way on my old one.

But it now sews properly. The tiny screw driver that comes with the machine is useless. I need to get a short flat type screw driver. I have a short Phillips one that your Dad had, but either Scott took the flat one or he never had the flat one.

There was some lint under the bobbin case. But I cleaned it out. Now it is not jamming any longer.

I was able to finish a Tiny Gnome bag for my granddaughter for her Birthda, in addition to the Tiny Ruth Bader Ginsberg.

I am going to the store with a friend. Not much else is new here.

Penny