Daily Check-in May 31, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check-in May 31, 2021

Post by floridacatlover »

Jackielou wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 8:27 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

Wishing all my American friends a good Memorial day.

I have been up for awhile and finished one coffee already, lately it seems that if I open my eyes and it is light out sleep is no longer an option for me. Mind you today is my busiest day and add to that trying to get Hubby a 2nd shot so he is fully vaccinated could be fun as once again Canada is being shorted on one of the two vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna), that we began this journey with. This time it is Moderna and that is what most peoples first shot here in my city was. Pfizer never came in until later in the process, it was just used in the big cities with the big freezers. Trying to get an appointment here for our vaccine could be problematic. I will keep trying though and perhaps something will open up.

Hubby needs to phone and get the car in for an oil change today (asked him to do so Friday and he forgot). Hopefully that will happen tomorrow or Wednesday.

Hubby also wants to slice the slabs of bacon we bought and get it into the freezer. Another task already added to my lengthy to do list.

It is supposed to be another lovely warm day here so all laundry will not only be washed frugally, but dried frugally as well.

The rest of the day will be the usual frugal happenings, adding in watering plants with water from the rain barrel, and continuing some tasks that never got finished yesterday. I am afraid I got waylaid by the sunshine and my cross stitch in the afternoon.

Supper tonight is going to be those beef ribs I bought a couple of weeks ago. Wonder if I can convince Hubby to smoke them...... Served with asparaguas, and the leftover salad should be enough for the two of us.

Today I am grateful that all my family is getting closer to being fully vaccinated, and things are slowly opening up in my province.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie, I read on the CBC website that some Canadians are against the Moderna vaccine. I’m not sure why. I received the Moderna vaccine. To me the Moderna and Pfizer are almost the same. I’d be hesitant about the Astra Zeneca or even the J&J.
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

floridacatlover wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 9:01 am Jackie, I read on the CBC website that some Canadians are against the Moderna vaccine. I’m not sure why. I received the Moderna vaccine. To me the Moderna and Pfizer are almost the same. I’d be hesitant about the Astra Zeneca or even the J&J.
Never heard that. I do know lots are hesitant about the Astra Zeneca and the J&J. Our government has stopped the J&J from being distributed as of yet due to the contamination of some batches at the manufacturing site.

Hubby and I both got Moderna, the youngest DS got Pfizer and the oldest got Astra Zeneca. Little bit worried about what the oldest will get if they stop the Astra Zeneca (which they sort of have).

I think that now we are hitting those people who are very anti-mask, and anti-vaccine. This is causing us to slump in inoculations.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

My last 2 days caught up with me. I am mostly resting today. I do have a towel wash in the dryer. I have a white wash to fold.

I have a steak planned for dinner.

Penny
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Bonne matin toute le monde!

All this week I am hanging out with Emmitt. This morning we've already looked at stingrays and lion fish photos on the websites and I have learned a bit about this game with sharks that he is playing on his tablet.

It's funny you mention me and my hot dogs! Emmitt asked me why I didn't have a snack when he did. I told him it was because I had a good breakfast and was waiting to go home to have my two hot dogs for lunch. I told him every day I eat two hot dogs for lunch. He responded, "EVERY day?!"
"Yup!"
"You should eat something different!!" :lol:
Nah, I think I'm addicted to hot dogs right now!

This weekend I basically did NOTHING. Well, I did unload, load and run the dishwasher and made some good meals, nothing to write home about though!

I got up at 5:00 am!! ACK!! Much too early. On days I am coming over to hang with Emmitt, I must have an interior alarm clock that is worried I'll oversleep so it goes off EXTRA early! I listened to the 5:00 am news and forced myself to hang out in bed and finally dozed off again until 6:30 when I got up and took my meds and tried to watch some news. NOPE! Still not ready! Set the alarm for another 15 minutes, got up, showered, dressed and had breakfast.

I then watched the morning news. Breanna Keilor on CNN's morning show was show by some bug expert how to make cicada sushi and she even had two bites of it on air!! GEESH! I'm not that brave and especially not on live TV!!

Made it over to Zoe and John's. Dayton didn't want to go to school today. We somehow got into talking about foreign languages (with an 8-year old!) and I taught he how to say porcupine is French, she thought that was great and headed out the door repeating it. :D She wasn't so upset about going to school because she was going to tell everyone she heard me speak a little French and what a porcupine was in French. I don't know how to spell it in French but it sounds like Pork-a-pic. So it is fun to say.

This afternoon after I have dropped Emmitt off at kindergarten, I am going to Sobeys and get a few groceries. I need to get a new two week supply of hot dogs and I want to get some Keurig Pods for Zoe's machine as I use two everyday for my morning coffee over here while Emmitt does his practice letters. I don't want to be using up all of her supply!

That's the skinny from around here!!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Honoring Orville Wolfe from Beaver Creek, Minnesota United States Navy--Pacific Fleet WWII

Orville was my Dad's best friend from when they used to walk together from their farms in the 1930s to the country school and then when they went to school in "town." They joined the US Navy upon completion of Luverne High School, Luverne, Minnesota. My Dad was 17 and I am not certain how old Orville was, maybe 18, my Dad was born in December so he was always the youngest in his classes at school.

My Dad and Orville were on different ships out in the Pacific Fleet fighting the Japanese. Dad's ship had mostly secret missions and when he wrote home he would sometimes send "coded" messages to Grandma Welch so she could kinda tell where in the ocean he was located. He would write something like, "Say hi to cousin Marshall," and she would know he was down near the Marshal Islands. He kept in touch with Orville's Mom and Dad, Date and Gladys Wolfe as well.

After the bomb was dropped at Hiroshima, Orville was sent in to do reconnaissance in Hiroshima. He died within the year from Radiation Sickness. Dad never go over losing Orville and would talk about him frequently and to this day we honor his memory.

Every Memorial Day we would go to the small town cemetery, on the hill, in Beaver Creek, Minnesota and stand with Date and Gladys and the VFW for a memorial to Orville. It was always a somber occasion and we never forgot about Orville and his Mom and Dad. After Dad died, I kept in touch with Gladys after Date died. I wrote her until her death. Orville memory lives on with those of us entrusted with it.

So today, Memorial Day we salute and honor those who gave all to defend freedom during all the wars and for me especially Orville Wolfe, small town boy from rural Minnesota who died while doing his part to stop world domination.

Rest well, Orville.

MJ Welch (short time in the US Navy).
Hope has a good imagination.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I too plan on having hot dogs today! Love them

I've been organizing the pet room but am taking a break.

Have the Hallmark Channel in the background. They have been showing a series called Chesapeake Shores. I really like it.

Right now I am folding grocery bags - lol. I usually just stuff them in a basket in the pantry, but gotta sto that.

We are having another food bank on the 16th and they always need bags, so I plan on taking them. But don't want to show up without perfectly folded bags - :mrgreen: