Those Who Have Retired - I Would Like Your Advice

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Quilter51

Re: Those Who Have Retired - I Would Like Your Advice

Post by Quilter51 »

The TV thing is interesting. I watch during the day while knitting and have no screen time at all after dinner for sleeping purposes.
http://richlyretired.blogspot.com

frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

Quilter51 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:44 pm
The TV thing is interesting. I watch during the day while knitting and have no screen time at all after dinner for sleeping purposes.
I know, I thought my days would be more tv when I retired or when dh retired! BUT, the only things I watch is World News(most days at 5:30 or 6:30 and on Sunday, The Equalizer!

SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

HappyDaze wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 5:44 pm
I may get a part time job after I retire

What do you do with yourself? Do you maintain a schedule for the day, week? Do you watch a lot of television? Do you belong to any groups like a book club? Do you do regular volunteer work?

My daughter wants to buy some land and build herself a "tiny house" and wanted me to have a tiny house next to hers - but I have gently let her know that I see myself more of an apartment dweller, someplace where they have scheduled activities and where I am near grocery stores, doctors, etc.
I think I'll work the PT job I have (with full-time hours, it's a running joke with my boss) until such time as both my kids are all the way through college OR my boss retires (or dies; I hate to say it, but he's not in the best condition). The kids should be fully out of school in 6 years. I took the PT thing in 2018, so maybe I'll stick it out 'til the end of 2028 just to say I worked another decade. I'll be in my early 60s. No more official work after that.

We don't have television, but I watch a little Netflix from time to time depending on what's there to be viewed, I'm picky - if I know who the bad guy is 10 minutes in, it's not going to hold my attention long :lol: I'll maintain the volunteer work; I cook for a homeless ministry. I'd like to step that up, start a brown-bag lunch thing - with plastic free packaging, that's my new goal because as it turns out, there is not diligent trash can use and food packaging gets thrown around. DH recently stumbled over a retired former business associate who is looking to do the lunch thing, too (he does it on a smaller scale now), if he joined forces with the ministry we work with, we could get more done. That won't wait 'til '28.

If I had to choose between an apartment and a small house, I'd do the small house - a little land is good for dogs, and I can't see ever NOT having a dog again, especially if DH, who is younger, is still working and traveling and the kids are both out of the house. He wants me to travel WITH him... yeah, in my 60s I'll probably be even more of a homebody than I am now and frankly if he's working while traveling, that's just 8+ hrs a day alone in a place that isn't my own house. Bleh. I did all my traveling when I was younger, before the world (IMO) went nuts.

Kind of funny that the one of us who was nomadic as a kid wants to be settled and the one that was stuck in one place as a kid has nomadic tendencies. Maybe he'll see it differently once he's in his mid 50s.