Those Who Have Retired - I Would Like Your Advice

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
HappyDaze

Those Who Have Retired - I Would Like Your Advice

Post by HappyDaze »

I'm concerned about retirement - not financially - I've got that covered. I'm worried about what I will DO with myself and about turning into a 24/7 couch potato. I may get a part time job after I retire, but let's assume that I don't. Let us also assume that I remain happily single - because that is the plan. I'm looking at retiring in 8 years - possibly 5, but most likely 8.

What do you do with yourself? Do you maintain a schedule for the day, week? Do you watch a lot of television? Do you belong to any groups like a book club? Do you do regular volunteer work?

I know there are things I am looking forward to - reading more, and spending one afternoon a week at the library. It is important to me to have a purpose, to keep busy but not too busy. I'm really nervous about this, so any tips will be appreciated.

My daughter wants to buy some land and build herself a "tiny house" and wanted me to have a tiny house next to hers - but I have gently let her know that I see myself more of an apartment dweller, someplace where they have scheduled activities and where I am near grocery stores, doctors, etc.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
clemencia2us

Re: Those Who Have Retired - I Would Like Your Advice

Post by clemencia2us »

oh wow - this is a constant topic on the city data forum

What to do when you retire

Did you make the right choice - etc

I never really had a "plan". Did volunteer work - but that almost turned into a job!

I don't want to be on a schedule and even volunteers have schedules.

So I do other things. Keep my town informed about what is going on. So basically I spend a lot of time online. :roll:
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Also thought about the tiny home thing - but no. Too small

I also would love apartment living. But cannot due to my pets for now.

They are building a new subdivision so who knows. Maybe a new smaller home with a smaller yard is in my future.

This old house has issues. But I think it would sell quickly
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

From someone who has been there and done that......it is so easy to become just as busy as you were while working. Before the pandemic I had a lot going on; work, bowling, TOPS, card games, social activities....etc. Pre-pandemic I felt myself getting burnt out. I was tired. Last year I felt like I had been granted an unexpected sabbatical. The thought of no commitments and not having to be anywhere was pure heaven. I loved being able to order everything on line and having it delivered. I knew eventually my sabbatical would end because staying home 24/7 became a bit much. As things have opened up I have decided to work 3 four hour shifts a week doing yard duty at a school near me and that's it. I have quit bowling. I still go to TOPS. A lot of people I was socializing with were becoming more and more toxic (as we got closer to the election) so they had to go. I am happier being alone than being with toxic people. There seems to be a lot of them around. Most of my Facebook postings now consist of memes that I find funny.

I'm not sure how things would have ended up if the pandemic and lockdowns haven't hit. It was a time for me to become unbusy and these days I really feel like I am retired! I love it!

Bev
HappyDaze

Post by HappyDaze »

I will be happy to be rid of the stress of the job that is my "career" - but I can scarcely make it through a 4-day weekend (although much needed) without going mad. Does anyone keep a schedule? Such as "Monday - you go out for breakfast with a friend, Tuesday you go to the Library, Wednesday you do house cleaning, Thursday you do grocery shopping..."? Does it help to have a schedule for the week or the day? I have a lot of anxiety about hours and days getting away from me and not being purposeful.
"All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed. After all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog."

Charles M. Schultz
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

HappyDaze wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:28 pm I will be happy to be rid of the stress of the job that is my "career" - but I can scarcely make it through a 4-day weekend (although much needed) without going mad. Does anyone keep a schedule? Such as "Monday - you go out for breakfast with a friend, Tuesday you go to the Library, Wednesday you do house cleaning, Thursday you do grocery shopping..."? Does it help to have a schedule for the week or the day? I have a lot of anxiety about hours and days getting away from me and not being purposeful.
I did that for a few years, but lately realized I was just doing that to fill time. :mrgreen:

I didn't like the people I was spending time with and that included two of my siblings - isn't that terrible.

It is so much better when we meet up on the fly.