Daily Check In June 1, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
floridacatlover

Re: Daily Check In June 1, 2021

Post by floridacatlover »

Jackielou wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:34 am No public schools is just that, private schools are not funded people must pay tuition and hopefully those are enough to cover costs. Many a private school has folded here. In Canada, Catholic Schools can be either tuition based or paid for through school taxes and help from the government (provincial), depending on what province you live in. In my province and one of the two neighbouring provinces Catholic Schools are partially funded by the provincial government. Most other provinces treat them as a private school.
So no funding for public schools? Wow!
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Jackielou wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:04 am Good morning fellow frugalites,

My typing fingers have loosened up a bit, and my head is no longer foggy so perhaps typing a reasonably coherent post is something I am capable of now.

By now you have all probably heard of the finding of the 215 bodies of children by in a mass grave by a Residential School in B.C. here in Canada. I have always known about the black history of the Native Residential schools started by our government back in the day. I read about the torture, humiliation, and getting the government "getting rid of the Indian in the child". I knew children had died while under the care of the faiths and government agencies that had the control of the various schools. I also knew that the abuse was not only verbal, but mental, physical and sexual. What I didn't know was that so many died.....

These schools were run by both the government and various religious faiths. The one that they discovered the bodies at was at first run by the government and then given over to the Catholic Church to run. The Catholic Church ran 26 of the Residential Schools in Canada, the rest were run by the government itself, the Anglican Church, the Methodist Church, the United Church and the Presbyterian Church as part of their mission.

Now there are calls to use various deep earth search measures to find even more graves around all the old ruins of schools, as well as calls to shut down the Catholic School system in provinces that they are helped with funds through taxes. I sort of wonder what will happen if the next mass grave is found near a school that was run by a Protestant faith, will they call for no public funding of Public School systems? The reason I say this is because there is bound to be more. The churches and government hid how badly things were going.

Please pray for those little innocents that were found and will be found in the future.
Jackie I have read about it and it was so sad..
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning everyone. I am trying to slowly get in to a more normal and frugal routine. While my niece was here we did a lot of late night talking and bad for you eating. It was good tasting but not always the best and healthiest choices. I am going in to a pantry challenge as of today.

My niece is so good at household repairs. Over the years I have had various lamps just stop working so I would go to my basement and bring up another lamp. I have quiet a few from my parents as well as my own. While she was here she repaired 5 lamps. She only had to rewire one. She showed me what to check for if a lamp is not working. So simple for most of them. The day before she came the florescent light bulb in my utility room started to flash like a strobe light. She got out my ladder and removed the bulbs and we went to Lowe's to get new bulbs. I had never seen bulbs like that before. They are circular one inside the other. They are a plug in and it was snap, snap let there be light. She also replaced the bulbs in my closet and downstairs in my basement. She set up my inversion table for my back.

I want to paint my house. She has a degree in Interior Design. I wanted to paint my great room a very pale green. We picked up paint swatches at Lowe's that I thought I liked. She showed me that you need to look at the colors with inside light, outside light, and shadows at various times of the days. I was amazed the woods behind my house casts a greenish color in to my house that caused my pale green paint chip to look like a sick yellow green. Yuck. Not sure if I have mentioned that when I saw my retina Dr a few weeks ago that I am loosing my color vision due to the medicine I am taking for my tremors for my ALS. It is not significant yet but it is permanent and as time goes on I will loose more and more. Before we went to Lowe's she was telling me the leafy green trees in the woods behind my house was casting a light green color on my walls but I could not see it. With the paint chip I could see the greenish yellow. So after much consideration I have decided to paint my walls a very light gray. She did not influence me but after I made my choice she said it was the best choice for my house. I will have to wait and save up the money to buy paint maybe some time in the Fall.

Have a good day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Hello all,

Jackie, I had been reading about it also. The US has also had those schools and in my opinion still does not treat our Native Americans right. Just my opinion.
I pray for those children and can only imagine the terror they and their families have been thru.

I was up at too early o'clock for me but I did sleep well. It is overcast again today....not too warm either...rain predicted and hot high temps predicted for the upcoming weekend.

I am thinking about going to the library here in a bit. Need to rearrange the fridge and make a salad.

JCKitty
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I woke up much too early this morning. I have had my shower and dressed.

I am charging my iPad as it isn’t fully charged. The power is scheduled to be out approximately between 9 and 1 pm.

I put a dress wash in the washer. I left it in the dryer about half an hour and then hung them on hangers to finish drying.

Last night I partially cut out fabric to make a bag for the blue walker. I am using blue denim. This is a trial one. If I like it I will decide if I should make one with a prettier fabric.

I have 3 Tiny totes to finish.

My daughter sent me breakfast this morning. To celebrate my birthday.

My friend had to go to H-E-B to pick up a Rx, so I went along with her and picked up mine. We did get home before the power went out.

The power is off in the hall in front of my apartment.

Penny
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

itspennyc wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:24 am I woke up much too early this morning. I have had my shower and dressed.

I am charging my iPad as it isn’t fully charged. The power is scheduled to be out approximately between 9 and 1 pm.

I put a dress wash in the washer. I left it in the dryer about half an hour and then hung them on hangers to finish drying.

Last night I partially cut out fabric to make a bag for the blue walker. I am using blue denim. This is a trial one. If I like it I will decide if I should make one with a prettier fabric.

I have 3 Tiny totes to finish.

My daughter sent me breakfast this morning. To celebrate my birthday.

My friend had to go to H-E-B to pick up a Rx, so I went along with her and picked up mine. We did get home before the power went out.

The power is off in the hall in front of my apartment.

Penny

Happy Birthday Penny. May you have many, many more.
Janet Alliesmama