Daily Check in June 4, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in June 4, 2021

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning friends,
Not too much to say. I had a successful blood donation last night. In spite of temptation to pick up some carryout afterwards, I stopped by the grocery to get milk for my coffee this morning and picked up some lunchmeat.

I have laundry going. Tonight, at the "lifestyle center" across the street, there is a concert. $5 entrance. It is a Journey tribute band. They will have food trucks and be selling drinks. It is a fund-raiser. So I am thinking of walking over for a bit.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in June 4, 2021

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites,

I did not fall asleep until the early hours of the morning so am not feeling in the least rested. I wonder if I am going to enter a phase of insomnia which happens every so often.

The temperatures are once again supposed to be very high for this time of year, in fact I believe that today is supposed to be the hottest yet with temperatures reaching almost 40C. This heat could cause some very bad storms to show up. Yesterday the weather pundits mentioned a cooling down to temperatures in the mid to high 20's for the weekend. Much more reasonable for this time of year.

So, what frugal things are happening here.

Hmmm, I picked rhubarb in the cool of the evening (or at least the shade of the evening) and this morning after my walk I will wash, chop and make a rhubarb sponge pie with some and then perhaps later on or even tomorrow morning make a couple of loaves or some muffins. A blogging buddy told me how to make rhubarb gin and that sounds very interesting, she said you can use vodka as well (that would be my preference). Something to remember when I am tired of freezing rhubarb.

Not really frugal, but putting money in my pocket, I finished hemming two pairs of my friends Dad's pants. One left to go. I am thinking that these just might have to have elastic around the bottom of the leg.... Removing the cuff just could leave me a very ragged bottom and trouble evening the legs for easy hemming.

As is usual all meals will be eaten here at home and made from what is in pantry and freezers. Things will be used up to make these meals as well.

Walking this morning for my daily exercise. So far for the last 9 days I have managed to reach the goal my watch sets for me, and exceed it. However once it starts telling me I need to walk over 11K steps in a day I do not think I will be able to reach that every time. I really feel that I should be able to have a day of rest without losing my progress either which is what always happens.

Little bits and bobs need to be done around the house and plants need to be watered with the rain water. A few other outside chores need to be completed as well. Must do those early this morning.

This afternoon we head for our final jab and then home to sit or work in air conditioned comfort.

Supper tonight is going to be that leftover pork warmed up, some green beans from the freezer downstairs, and cauliflower cheese.

Today I have never been so grateful for central air than since we lived in the mobile home.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

Jackie, good luck to you and your DH with your second jab. I converted 40 C and got 104 F. Wow, that is hot. We have months of summer heat but never get that high, mostly a constant 33-34 C. (92 F.).

It will be a quiet day here. After I give Pippi her pill around 11:30, I’ll go to mom’s house to put the trash can back in the garage and pick up some books I decided to donate. I may make a run to the Better World Books box this weekend.

I am thinking that Pippi is declining. She threw up again last night. She ate well this morning with a cat food that includes cheese. I’m not ready to give up on her yet.

I’ll finish my puzzle today. It is a fun one that I’ll keep. Not too hard and big enough pieces that I can imagine doing it again.

https://gibsonsgames.co.uk/products/the-dressmakers-daughter-1000-piece-jigsaw-puzzle

Yesterday I decluttered four decorative flags and one U.S. flag. (I have another U.S. flag.) Also I put a plaque of a lighthouse and seaside I used to hang near my front door in summer in the donation box.

Have a good day.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

floridacatlover wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:45 am
I’ll finish my puzzle today. It is a fun one that I’ll keep. Not too hard and big enough pieces that I can imagine doing it again.
I admire your tenaciousness in attacking these 1000 piece puzzles. My collection consists of puzzles of 300 pcs or less. I may have only 2 that are 500.

I keep telling myself I have to pull out one of my puzzles but for some reason, I think of something else that I want to do and my desire to puzzle suffers.
LogicsHere

Post by LogicsHere »

Good morning all.

It's the quiet before the storm here as it is expected to start raining again sometime after lunch. We'll be in a 90 degree + streak for the next 3 days, at least a 15 degree jump from today. It is extremely humid outside and I had to turn on my A/C to get the humidity out of the apartment.

Ran to the grocery store early this morning. I had to pick up peaches at .69/lb. I have to say I've gotten some really good prices for peaches and cherries ($1.48/lb).

I have begun the weight loss process. I've lost about 3 lbs thus far and I'm happy with that. I've increased my exercise time and made some food changes that work with the WW points. Hopefully I can break what appears to be insulin resistance which is quite possibly the reason I've been unable to lose weight for quite some time despite my previous attempts.

Have nothing special planned for today except a Zoom call with a friend.

Have a great weekend all.
Grannysewstoys

Post by Grannysewstoys »

I only woke up once during the night last night. I have my sheets in the dryer. The clean bottom sheet is on the bed.

The garbage and trash is gathered and out.

I hope to do some sewing this morning. I have finished the last 3 tote bags I made from my dress trimmings. I made 12 from fabric that would have been pitched normally.

Even the Gnome appliqués were from leftovers from my tote bag and masks. I do have some different Gnome fabric I am not sure what I am going to do with this yet. All I bought was a fat quarter of each.

I want to work on my walker bag. I am not using a pattern. I have done research on them and after seeing these I decided to simply modify my standard tote bag.

Penny