Ideas? Vegan individually packed dinners that aren't

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Ideas? Vegan individually packed dinners that aren't

Post by MackerelCat »

Sandi, it's super simple: a can of drained steam crisp corn, a can of half-drained black beans, a can of half-drained petite diced tomatoes mixed together with some diced onion and Italian seasoning. If you want to make it more colorful, you can do chopped green onions and throw in some diced cooked sweet potato or squash. It's very filling.

For containers, try a restaurant supply business. Some of them sell direct to the public.
Mackie
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

MackerelCat wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:06 pm Sandi, it's super simple: a can of drained steam crisp corn, a can of half-drained black beans, a can of half-drained petite diced tomatoes mixed together with some diced onion and Italian seasoning. If you want to make it more colorful, you can do chopped green onions and throw in some diced cooked sweet potato or squash. It's very filling.

For containers, try a restaurant supply business. Some of them sell direct to the public.
That IS super simple, thanks!

I know tomorrow's going to be weird with work (odd project, engineer is freaking out), so I ordered containers to be delivered Friday. I sooo hope that works & they aren't late or Friday I'll be running around town!
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

SandiSAHM wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:17 pm That IS super simple, thanks!

I know tomorrow's going to be weird with work (odd project, engineer is freaking out), so I ordered containers to be delivered Friday. I sooo hope that works & they aren't late or Friday I'll be running around town!
Don't know if you are interested but the corn bean salad that I make (someone else brought it to a potluck once and we all loved it-you can use this as a dip for tortilla chips too if you want or as a salad), I use those frozen think it is S&W brand corn, black bean and green bell pepper frozen bags. I get a bunch of bags depending on how many people. Just add a bit of olive oil (have never tried avocado oil but think that would be good too), garlic powder, salt and black pepper, red chile (optional or fresh green chiles or roasted) and diced red onion or green onions and mix together-super easy!

Also watermelon salad with feta cheese is good-or a tomato and diced hard french or Italian bread with balsamic vinegar and olive oil drizzle with fresh diced cilantro or parsley. Can you tell I am hungry right now-lol!? I did not eat dinner and starting to get hungry!
gaylejackson2

Post by gaylejackson2 »

I have seen "bowl" recipes a lot lately. With a grain, shredded meat or cold, rinsed beans, then assorted veggies, and a dressing on the side. (A recipe like this is why I've started doing make-your-own salads for dinner lately.)

Could you do something like that, without the meat?
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Passed muster :) Wound up with (this is going to sound crazy but it's so good we've done it again - and it's only Monday :lol: ) wraps made with spinach tortillas, Morningstar Farms chicken strips (which I can't eat because they have gluten) quinoa in a "dressing" of vegan mayo with sage, poultry seasoning, a little garlic powder, spinach leaves, shredded carrot, shredded red cabbage rolled up. I tasted it in a GF tortilla without the meat sub and it was pretty good. I'm told WITH the meat sub it was fantastic. Side was a 3-bean salad (THANK YOU!!) with a watermelon / cantaloupe / blueberry fruit salad for dessert. We took extras because there was too much to leave it home, we brought back zero leftovers.

Forum for the win!!