Daily Check in June 18, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MackerelCat

Re: Daily Check in June 18, 2021

Post by MackerelCat »

Good morning, frugal friends. Everyone was tired at my house yesterday evening. DH, Lily Dog and I all pretty much flopped into bed and passed out. I usually don't let Lily stay the night with us, but she was so sound asleep on the bed that I did not have the heart to move her.

All the rain this summer has made it a great year for spiders: I knocked down cobwebs on the front porch and they were back two days later in the corners.

Today I have to do some laundry, wash the glass doors and living room window, make a grocery list and hem the cotton flannel bought for making towels to dry my hair.

Kitty, I hope all is well with the mom-to-be. Penny, that is great about your new hearing aid. It was amazing once my husband got them.

Hope everyone has a peaceful day.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Making good progress on my tasks for today

Had a pile of receipts I needed to organize. Utility bills I have been paying for the parental house. Want that organized.

I also had receipts I printed out that I just let pile up. If it wasn't a utility bill - they got tossed. I get emails and texts for most of them, but utilities - I want to keep!! :mrgreen:

Next task is to bathe senior pup.

The COD is in pain so took off to the VA. He does too much. Thinks he is a spring chicken.

Have a great day. I am kind of settling down. But still feeling a little anxious. I told the COD and he agreed that he needs to get his areas straightened up. His desk is just piled up with stuff. I don't know how he gets things done.
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

So far I have made a double recipe of noodles and a loaf of bread...floors are ready for me to run the cleaner over them and laundry is done.
I had hung the laundry out because after the wind and a shower the sun came back out...now we have thunder and I just took it off the lines and will finish drying in the house. It is almost dry so no big deal.

My dog has been super antsy this morning, probably because he could feel the storms coming. I might put the TV on for him, I know it sounds weird but sometimes the noise helps his anxiety.

Might take a nap...as I was up way too early.

JCKitty
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Update: I washed the doors and windows that were planned and a few more. In the process, I discovered why there are flat paving stones laid around our house at the foundation: it's to set a stool on for window washing! My husband usually washes them and is tall enough to stand without a step stool, but I am not. The doctor who owned this house for so long had a housekeeper and she must have been short.

I have half a grocery list made up and need to finish that. It's going to be an expensive trip after two weeks of not spending much. Still need to get to my sewing while the light is good.
Mackie
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

I think I'm a farmer now - lol

My former neighbor that now just lives 2 blocks away messaged and asked if I had any tomatoes. Told him not much since I had been handing them out. He said he would like to take what I had.

I said sure. I added jalepenos and purple onions to the bag of tomatoes - cherry, roma, black cherokee and early girl

I was just going to give them to him, but he insisted on paying me - so I thought what the heck - why not. Saved him a trip to the store and these are much better.
frugalmom

Post by frugalmom »

It is soooo hot out here-think they said it will be 106. The breeze is just hot air. Oh I wish I could jump into some pool-usually I would take a cold shower at least, but can't even do that since there is a drought!

There are people showing pictures of empty shelves and meat sections in their grocery store?! I have not really been shopping and the last time I went there were some sparse shelves but generally still plenty of options. I have been relying on my garden more so and whatever we have-I keep getting free food from others or my dd bringing home her food from her college apt.(that one is really not free bc probably she bought it on my credit card!). I just made sliced opo squash with tomatoes and chana dahl curry. This is the first time I made this and it turned out good-we ate it with mango chutney/char. I am trying to cook from the garden to use produce up and lean plant based to see if we can experiment now with different dishes since meat is getting so expensive out here. Better for us anyway and lighter fare, since it is so hot out here.

We had watermelon leftover which was not sweet-I never get it right despite the thumping, looking at sugar spots and a yellow patch on the skin-idk never pick them right! I cannot wait til my watermelons come in! So I blended it with some ice and some stevia and made a watermelon slushie-it was cooling at least-still not really sweet. I froze some pineapple slices too and I think I saw on the tik tok you can combine it with coconut milk and make a Dole Whip type of drink/soft serve-so will try that out.

I miss Preston-he is in LA with his uncle. He sent me pictures bc he exercises every day but there is nothing he could use so he used his backpack as a weight he said.