Daily Check in June 18, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
alliesmama4

Re: Daily Check in June 18, 2021

Post by alliesmama4 »

We have a heat index of 105 right now. Earlier this morning I was awakened due to feeling like I was suffocating. I was! The power had gone out and I had my c-pap on and no air. I managed to feel my way to the hallway where I keep a lantern to use when I take Teddi out at night and I called the utility company. I do like their automated system. As soon as it picked up they could tell by my telephone number that I had a power outage. They said there were 212 people without power and they were looking for the problem. My stove clock indicated it went off at 3:10 AM and it came back on at 5:35 AM. It was a warm night and opened the deck and utility room doors. I had gone to bed with the windows open in my bedroom.

I was glad to be able try out some of my emergency procedures. I have a light bulb that I bought from Amazon. It is in a lamp in my kitchen. It works as a regular light bulb but if there is a power outage it automatically switches over to a battery operated light bulb in the lamp. The bulb can be removed and used as a flashlight. The battery operated light is not as bright as when it is being used as a regular light bulb still it was great to have light on in the kitchen. I decided I needed some mint tea for my tummy problems so I went to my emergency closet and got out my camp stove. It runs on propane, a small canister. I put it in the sink since it sits so high on the counter in the house. After a few minutes I had a nice cup of tea. I also have several lantern so was able to read some magazines that I had not read yet. My biggest concern was Teddi. He has not been well and he was getting restless. I was going to put him in my car and take him for a ride or maybe just sit in the car for a while using the A/C, however the release that is suppose to allow me to open the garage door would not work. So we were trapped and unable to get out. There are other doors but I wanted to have the option of getting in my car and driving somewhere else. I am going to move the lightbulb/flashlight to my bedroom lamp makes more sense to have it there incase we have another power outage during the night I will be able to switch it on instead of groping my way around the room to the hallway. I am going to look in to finding a battery operated fan. Also need to see if the latch for the garage door is stuck or too old. I am glad that the power was not off long enough to ruin any of my food.

Teddi has been a slug most of the day but he is eating his food with some interest and not throwing up.

Penny good to hear you have new hearing aides and are adjusting to them.
Janet Alliesmama
ChristmasTrees

Post by ChristmasTrees »

alliesmama4 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:47 pm We have a heat index of 105 right now. Earlier this morning I was awakened due to feeling like I was suffocating. I was! The power had gone out and I had my c-pap on and no air. I managed to feel my way to the hallway where I keep a lantern to use when I take Teddi out at night and I called the utility company. I do like their automated system. As soon as it picked up they could tell by my telephone number that I had a power outage. They said there were 212 people without power and they were looking for the problem. My stove clock indicated it went off at 3:10 AM and it came back on at 5:35 AM. It was a warm night and opened the deck and utility room doors. I had gone to bed with the windows open in my bedroom.

I was glad to be able try out some of my emergency procedures. I have a light bulb that I bought from Amazon. It is in a lamp in my kitchen. It works as a regular light bulb but if there is a power outage it automatically switches over to a battery operated light bulb in the lamp. The bulb can be removed and used as a flashlight. The battery operated light is not as bright as when it is being used as a regular light bulb still it was great to have light on in the kitchen. I decided I needed some mint tea for my tummy problems so I went to my emergency closet and got out my camp stove. It runs on propane, a small canister. I put it in the sink since it sits so high on the counter in the house. After a few minutes I had a nice cup of tea. I also have several lantern so was able to read some magazines that I had not read yet. My biggest concern was Teddi. He has not been well and he was getting restless. I was going to put him in my car and take him for a ride or maybe just sit in the car for a while using the A/C, however the release that is suppose to allow me to open the garage door would not work. So we were trapped and unable to get out. There are other doors but I wanted to have the option of getting in my car and driving somewhere else. I am going to move the lightbulb/flashlight to my bedroom lamp makes more sense to have it there incase we have another power outage during the night I will be able to switch it on instead of groping my way around the room to the hallway. I am going to look in to finding a battery operated fan. Also need to see if the latch for the garage door is stuck or too old. I am glad that the power was not off long enough to ruin any of my food.

Teddi has been a slug most of the day but he is eating his food with some interest and not throwing up.

I am so proud of how you handled your emergency! Well done. I would certainly get the garage door checked out. Sorry Teddi is feeling poorly.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Made progress today - feel good about what I got done.

Received my big chewy order. These boys and girls love their treats.

The neighbor that paid for tomatoes later came by and gave me some grilled red snapper! Yummy. They had gone on a deep sea fishing trip and had a good haul. So nice of them.

We are having the big monthly food bank delivery tomorrow. I want to be out there to help. Hope I sleep well. I really enjoy helping.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

alliesmama4 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:47 pm We have a heat index of 105 right now. Earlier this morning I was awakened due to feeling like I was suffocating. I was! The power had gone out and I had my c-pap on and no air. I managed to feel my way to the hallway where I keep a lantern to use when I take Teddi out at night and I called the utility company. I do like their automated system. As soon as it picked up they could tell by my telephone number that I had a power outage. They said there were 212 people without power and they were looking for the problem. My stove clock indicated it went off at 3:10 AM and it came back on at 5:35 AM. It was a warm night and opened the deck and utility room doors. I had gone to bed with the windows open in my bedroom.

allie - we tend to have power outages here also. So one year I decided to get good flashlights and place one in each room. I actually have two in the kitchen. I didn't want to have to be looking around for one.

The COD also bought me a headlamp. Love it. You can see and still use both hands. Very handy.

I just cannot believe how hot it is for you. Thankfully we only made it up to 94 today. But this weekend is supposed to be hotter.
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

clemencia2us wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:35 pm allie - we tend to have power outages here also. So one year I decided to get good flashlights and place one in each room. I actually have two in the kitchen. I didn't want to have to be looking around for one.

The COD also bought me a headlamp. Love it. You can see and still use both hands. Very handy.

I just cannot believe how hot it is for you. Thankfully we only made it up to 94 today. But this weekend is supposed to be hotter.
I actually have a lot of lanterns in my emergency closet I should put them out that is for sure. I like the idea of the headlamp. I will look in to getting one. We have some power outages here in the summer and winter some have lasted for 4 days. I prefer the winter ones since it is easier to try to stay warm than to cool off. We have been told by our utility company that if there is a prolonged outage due to bad weather our houses will be the last restored due to being rural. They will work to get those in more populated areas restored first. I do understand where they are coming from so try to do the best I can for my own needs.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

clemencia2us wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:31 pm Made progress today - feel good about what I got done.

Received my big chewy order. These boys and girls love their treats.

The neighbor that paid for tomatoes later came by and gave me some grilled red snapper! Yummy. They had gone on a deep sea fishing trip and had a good haul. So nice of them.

We are having the big monthly food bank delivery tomorrow. I want to be out there to help. Hope I sleep well. I really enjoy helping.

That was really nice of your neighbor to bring you the yummy fish.

Kudos to you for helping others with the food bank. It will not be easy in the heat. Be sure to stay hydrated.
Janet Alliesmama