Daily Check-In, June 20, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jckitty

Re: Daily Check-In, June 20, 2021

Post by jckitty »

FloridaCat,

I need to read that article....I order very little from Amazon. I used it more during the pandemic but even then very little. I am not a shopper.

Years ago I read a book I think called "Nickeled and Dimed" ...it opened my eyes to a lot of work place practices. Part of the reason I try not to shop at big stores.

I will read Nomad land.

Mackie,
you are going to love retirement!

JCKitty
jckitty

Post by jckitty »

Maggie,
My robo-vac docks itself, however IF it get caught on something or tries to "mount itself' on the base of a fan it will just stay there running until it shuts itself off.

I had to empty mine in the middle of a cycle for about 3 days...now I don't.
You are going to love it I am sure
JCKitty
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

Good morning. Happy Father's Day to all Dads. I miss mine also.

Yesterday late afternoon we started to get severe thunderstorm watches and warnings. The storms came in waves. We had very little rain here but lots of thunder, lightening, and high winds. A branch of the St. Louis airport in IL, about 40 miles south of here, had winds clocking in at 77 mph. My brother lives about 30 miles north of me and they had 5 inches of rain and an area about 20 miles north of him had 8 inches of rain in 90 minutes. The St. Louis metro area had huge wind damage and lots of hail and rain with 35,000 people without power. This morning they said there were still about 9,000 without power. All night long they kept posting massive flash flooding. Right now it is lovely with the sun shining and a cool to warmish breeze unfortunately we are suppose to have a repeat of these storms starting around 11:00 PM. Feel sorry for those that have had damage and with their power off. I am sure a lot of them have lost a lot of the food they had planned for Father's Day celebrations. This makes me more determined to save faster to buy a solar generator for my fridge. I have lost food in the past due to prolonged power outages and it rough trying to restock with limited income.

Teddi was freaking out during the storms although I have found if we isolate to my master bedroom, close the door, and turn the TV volume up he does somewhat better. He is just now waking up and not ready to go out but then again he went out late last night after the storms were over.

Today I hope to cook ahead.. That is always a plan but rarely happens. I will need to bake a pork roast for Teddi for his evening meal. There is enough to get him through this morning. I had hoped not to buy any more food until July 1st but the other roast will not last that long. I do have the money just trying to not spend if at all possible.

Christmas Trees keeping your DH and you in my thoughts and prayers for a good outcome tomorrow with his surgery.

Have a good and frugal day everyone.
Janet Alliesmama
Beverley

Post by Beverley »

Good morning,
It has been so hot here. Triple digits plus. I have not gone anywhere; just staying inside with the house closed up.

I went through all of the fabric I have accumulated and have five boxes of large fabric pieces to donate. Mostly lacey, dress fabrics in one box, heavy decorating fabric in others. The small pieces, fat quarters, etc. I am keeping.

My question is....who accepts donated fabric?

I will be going through yarn next. I have more crafty type things than I will never use so its time to pass it on. My goal is to downsize and simplify.

I am thinking fish today for supper.

Have a wonderful day!

Bev
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

floridacatlover wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:50 am Did you read the NYT story about the Amazon warehouse in NYC and Covid? I didn’t read it all. Interesting that they promote so few hourly workers and want them to quit after a few years at most. No respect. I previously read about the grueling work at Amazon warehouses in the Nomadland book. Everything is faster, faster, faster.

There was also a story a week or so ago about the people who do the grocery picking for curbside and delivery. It talked mostly of Kroger and Instacart. Some employees enjoy it (one guy at Kroger) but there is the constant push to work faster, faster, faster. It didn’t mention Walmart.

What’s the big rush?

I couldn’t physically do those jobs. Bad feet. I guess they are designed to be done by robots soon.

I am going to try hard to order less from Amazon and seek out small businesses online and in person. I don’t buy a lot. Maybe I won’t renew Prime unless I really want the streaming. I bought my new garden hose from Home Depot. I think (hope) they are a better workplace.

I’m so lucky that for most of my career I worked for a company that respected employees. I didn’t earn a great deal but it was a good workplace.
Have not read it yet, but did read about the grocery service. That was crazy - they time you as you go around looking for product. I finally saw one in action at the HEB in the other town. I'm thinking - there is milk in the cart and they were still "shopping". Cold things are items i put in my cart last! But I guess they have to follow their rules.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

alliesmama4 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:33 am Yippee!! Fall is around the corner.. lol. I hate summer! Even as little kid I could not stand summer heat.
yea every year i start to hate it more - lol