Daily Check in June 22, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
clemencia2us

Re: Daily Check in June 22, 2021

Post by clemencia2us »

MackerelCat wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:04 pm Christmas Trees, I would be ashamed to open the doors to the students at the level of cleanliness that's the norm. They are charged a small fortune, around a thousand dollars a month, to live in the dorms and for that it ought to be clean and have everything working correctly. It is an uphill battle, though.

I spent about four hours cleaning the dorm's common kitchen. It had not been cleaned since at least March 2020. Everything came out of the cabinets, was rewashed, the shelves were washed, and everything was organized and put back. I threw away a lot of junk and gathered up five bags of shelf-stable food and snacks we used to keep for the Covid kids. It will expire in early August, before we have students again, so I will take it to the food bank Saturday.
wow that is expensive. I remember when we went away to school and lived in the dorm. A whole semester, tuition, fees, books, room and board was just under a thousand!
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Mrscreative wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:06 pm You’re truly a gem for all the hard work, kindness and consideration you show to others.

Creative
yes she is. Go Mackie!
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

Aw, thanks. I just hate waste and think people ought to be treated right.

Clem, it's horrendously expensive now and there's a non-refundable fee and penalties for everything. In the really nice dorms, it's over $14K a year just to live on campus, and they still have to pay for books, tuition, parking and all the various fees.

My last year of college, everything but my books cost $1,500 a semester. That included the dorm, meal plan and tuition.
Mackie
mbrudnic

Post by mbrudnic »

clemencia2us wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:22 pm wow that is expensive. I remember when we went away to school and lived in the dorm. A whole semester, tuition, fees, books, room and board was just under a thousand!
We are old. DS2's semester tuition usually comes to about $900. I write all the checks for my college. Dad handed me a CD and told me to open a checking account and periodically gave me a check to deposit. I paid close to 1,000 for Room and board a Quarter. And close to the same for tuition.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

A friend of ours' DD is starting at the University of Tulsa this fall; staying in the dorms. Dorms are over $3500 per semester. Meal plan is separate - bare bones 7 meals a week is over $2400. I know it's a private uni, but let's get real. I didn't ask about tuition because I know it'll make the rest look like peanuts. She could have easily gone to a state school, she got her HS diploma and associates at the same time, most schools would be happy to have her. I pray she's on a scholarship.

I have a feeling we'll be feeding her a lot, we're closer to school than her Mom's house by 80 miles or so.

Her Mom thinks laundromat services are included in the dorm. I have an acquaintance who got her law degree at TU; she laughed and said no, that's why there are so many laundromats (suds 'n' buds style, mostly - one has a pool hall built in!) nearby.

College is CRAZY with $.