Daily Check in June 22, 2021

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
mbrudnic

Daily Check in June 22, 2021

Post by mbrudnic »

Good Morning Frugal friends,

Nothing new here other than loving my Roomba. Did not make it back to the dock before running out of power yesterday. And I need to wait until after my morning meetings to run it.

Walked yesterday and this morning. I am frustrated with the apartment complex. In the past they have regularly cleaned the outer hallways with a leaf blower alternating with a power washer every couple of months. It id filthy and they let some birds build a next on top of a light fixture. I pay an exorbitant amount of rent and expect the place to be kept up as such.

I worked late on an incident last night, but had leftover salad Mon sent home Sunday evening and cooked a chicken breast for on top of it for dinner last night. Today's meal should all be from home.

Have a great day,
Maggie
Jackielou

Re: Daily Check in June 22, 2021

Post by Jackielou »

Good morning fellow frugalites

Up at a decent time and raring to go. It's supposed to warm up quite a bit today, back up to the low 30's C once again. So very soon it will be back to the old shutting windows and making sure the air conditioner is set so we don't freeze when coming in from the cold.

All outside lights seem to be working now except one. I am going to get Hubby to take a look at it later today. I still feel that a bit more lighting is necessary at the side of our home, but it is really hard to find something I like or think is suitable. There is also the question of solar, or plug in. While the area does get some daily sunlight it isn't enough to keep solar lights working properly.

I pinned 4" squares together yesterday, and later in the evening cut some more out of solid scrap fabric. Today I need to cut some more out of green scrap fabric, and search my stash to see if I have any bright yellow or blue scrap fabric. If not I will use up what I have. I hope to get started sewing those squares together and perhaps getting a couple of blocks sewn as well (partially sewn at least). My little project corner is slowly getting neater and neater. My project list will hopefully be dwindling as well.

I have the usual Tuesday household tasks. I did think about baking bread early this morning, but there are bagels, and buns in the freezer so I think I will give it a skip for today...Unless I bake and freeze it for when we get home???? Might do that.

I have some mending to do. Just a couple of seams so it will not take long at all. Have I ever mentioned that mending is not something I enjoy very much.

I did not get my floors mopped yesterday, so will do those this morning as well.

Usual frugal past times here. I am really enjoying my streaming services on the TV. If it wasn't for Hubby needing his sports and news fixes I would gladly get rid of our television provider. Sure I pay for the services (well sharing Netflix and Disney+ with youngest DS as he watches those when down as well), but the cost of Prime and Britbox are very small in comparison to the providers costs. I could add another 8 or so streaming services (probably closer to 12 depending on monthly costs) before I hit what we pay a provider. Something to think about for the future.

We are enjoying watching the birds at the bird feeder. It took them awhile to find the new place, but now they are making gluttons of themselves. I have seen our usual suspects, wrens, sparrows, thrush, finch all visiting at varying times.

I am really trying to use things up from the fridge over the next few days. I want anything that can spoil used ASAP. Nothing will be left before we leave (except for some milk). This really will be a waste free week.

I plan on using up the leftover chicken from Sunday in our meal tonight. I had thought a penne type casserole, but if it warms up enough that could be out of the question I will need to think about it a bit more.

Today I am grateful that yesterday our youngest DS got his shot and we are all now fully vaccinated. Let the summer and visiting begin.

Everybody have a great day. Take care.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Prairie Waif2

Post by Prairie Waif2 »

Bonne matin toute le monde!

Just finished breakfast and having a glass of water. I really want coffee but Emmitt and I have it worked out, one cup of coffee while we cuddle then one cup of coffee while he does some worksheets on letters and numbers that Mommy has set out for him to do. That's also when I get the questions about "what's the most poison our____________?" He's really into knowing if it can kill people or run faster than him or Daddy. He's such a cute kid!

For the first time in months, I made my way to Dollar Tree. I wanted to get and 8x8 or 9x9 inch pan to make brownies in to take to a friend. I also got some plastic cutting mats as my other ones have gotten all curly on the edges and make cutting up veggies and such a PITA. Got a few cleaning supplies and managed to avoid getting my usual bag of Cherry Nibs. That was a toughie!!

The weather here yesterday was like it was for Jackie and Creative, cool. It was nice though and I was glad it wasn't the 90F that it had been in the last week and a half.

Not much planned today when I am done hanging out with my little buddy. I do know that we are finishishing a movie today that we started yesterday. Emmitt has watched it over and over. Me? I watch a move once and I'm done. Guess I grew out of that kids stage. Oops! Not really. I watched The Godfather series this weekend when I saw it on TV for about the 5th or 6th time!! LOL

I think today will be a day where the temperature will be in the 70s. That's good. I'm down for that!!

That's the morning skinny from around here!

MJ
Hope has a good imagination.
clemencia2us

Post by clemencia2us »

Good morning all

We had quite the thunderstorm early this morning. Didn't last long, but poor youngest and biggest pup was terrified. I had to hug her until it was over.

She is okay now. They already went out and I've had my first cup of coffee. We did need a bit of rain. Will be good for my tomatoes. I didn't water them yesterday. So this was a blessing.

Not sure what I will do today. Tackle some more little chores. Maybe do laundry.

Hope all have a great day!!
floridacatlover

Post by floridacatlover »

Good morning friends.

I didn’t sleep great but the only thing on my agenda today is Pippi’s vet appointment at 2 p.m. Other than that, I’ll stay home and work on my puzzle, go through another, larger Christmas box, water my plants if it doesn’t rain (it is overcast with a 40% rain chance) and do some paperwork. And ... I may do some dusting.

Here’s a story that is a wake-up call for anyone who thinks the virus is over and is not dangerous. Five people in the IT department of the Manatee County government (county just south of my county) got Covid 19 last week. They think it is the Delta variant. Four were hospitalized and two died. All unvaccinated. These are not elderly people. Another IT employee, age 23, is vaccinated and did not get Covid.

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2021/06/22/delta-variant-could-be-to-blame-for-deadly-covid-outbreak-in-manatee

I have a file of household repair/service bills. Yesterday I got out the old bill for dryer vent cleaning and called for an appointment. (I could not remember the name of the company I had used.) In that same file box was a big manila envelope with my original home purchase contact, mortgage etc. Many were on legal-size paper. I folded the legal sheets and put everything in a hanging folder in a different file box that has more important papers. The big thing was that because of my paper decluttering, I had plenty of room for the documents in the more appropriate box!

Have a good day.
MackerelCat

Post by MackerelCat »

FloridaCat, when the Delta variant hits here, it is going to be very bad. About 40 percent of our county is not vaccinated, almost entirely willfully so.

I am in my building, in my own little office, sneezing my head off because I've been cleaning furniture that was in storage for a year and was very dusty. Maintenance broke the base off the long and very expensive family size table that goes in the building common room. They also put a waste bin of food trash in storage and brought it back out for me to deal with. I can tell you now that DQ does not change much over a year at room temperature, which is pretty scary.

After I rest a bit, I am going to clean the common kitchen and wash out the fridge. The janitorial staff isn't cleaning the building this summer, but they sure are using it: cooking their meals and doing their personal laundry. I have given up on trying to get it stopped. Grrrr.
Mackie