Possible bread flour shortage

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
kat

Re: Possible bread flour shortage

Post by kat »

if you have flour that you bought awhile ago (couple months or so), and forgot to freeze for a bit, can you still do so and then store? would it be worth it? luckily didnt buy too much just a couple bags.....
kat

Post by kat »

any special way to store yeast for long time? dont make bread often, but dont want to be without when I do....have both yeast packets and in the jar....best way to store both long term.....
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

kat wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:25 pm if you have flour that you bought awhile ago (couple months or so), and forgot to freeze for a bit, can you still do so and then store? would it be worth it? luckily didnt buy too much just a couple bags.....
Yes you can freeze the flour and it will be ok.
Janet Alliesmama
alliesmama4

Post by alliesmama4 »

kat wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:28 pm any special way to store yeast for long time? dont make bread often, but dont want to be without when I do....have both yeast packets and in the jar....best way to store both long term.....
Do you use fresh yeast? The kind that is in a refrigerated area of the store? It can be frozen for about 3 months. Wrap each cube in plastic wrap or aluminum foil and then in a plastic storage bag. If it is dry yeast it will do fine in the freezer in the jar that is came in for up to a year of longer. Not sure about yeast in strips. They can be frozen but I would put them in plastic bag or a jar in the freezer.
Janet Alliesmama
Jackielou

Post by Jackielou »

kat wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:28 pm any special way to store yeast for long time? dont make bread often, but dont want to be without when I do....have both yeast packets and in the jar....best way to store both long term.....
Kat, you can also keep the yeast in jars in your refrigerator. I even store my opened jars in there and just bring them up to air temperature when I use them. The unused portion goes right back in the fridge until the next time.
Jackie
http://inthelandofthelivingskiesii.blogspot.ca/
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

icfrugal1 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:47 pm Thank you for the heads up.

I'm hoping to have my oven fixed this Friday, then I can bake again.

In 2020 my two big fears were not finding milk and not finding flour, milk was ok, but flour...

I've got plenty of yeast at least now. :P

IC
I buy cases of Carnation Powdered Milk (in the round containers with the plastic lids) that I keep in the freezer and use just for cooking. I also buy Carnation condensed for the same reason but I try not to get more than 6-8 cans at once.