CBD for arthritis?

This is the front porch of our forum. Pull up a chair, and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Sandy

Re: CBD for arthritis?

Post by Sandy »

ownedbydogs wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:48 am Voltaren cream has so many warnings that I am afraid of it as much as any other meds I can take. I take blood thinners and it says not to use it if you do. I did take meloxicam, and it helped my back and hip, but dr doesn’t want me to take it anymore because of liver damage it may cause. I find Advil helps if I take it early in the day. It gives me a few hrs of relief some days and other days, i might as well take a sugar pill. Being old is no fun.
Meloxicam did nothing for me, so I'm lucky, I suppose, that I stopped taking it after three months 3.5 years ago. I never even mentioned it to my doctor, just stopped taking it.
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Sandy wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:10 am Back to my cousin. According to what she's told me, getting a medical marijuana card is no more difficult than ponying up $100-$150 to a doctor who will sign a form saying you need MM (these, too, have sprung up like mushrooms) and (IIRC) a yearly fee to renew the card. Cousin prefers edibles to the smokeable but also echoes what you've read here about how much stronger the MM is than what was available on street corners during school days (I believe her actual words were "this s**t ain't ditch weed!" When she was still finding her way she ate an entire "gummy worm" for anxiety during the presidential campaign and then called me because she was afraid she was having a heart attack, lol. These days, when she needs to calm down (and knows she's staying home) she eats 1/4 of a gummy.
Another Oklahoma resident! Do you know whether or not they'll sell you hemp-based CBD oil if you don't have a card?

I know for sure I'll never smoke it (or anything else, I'm an asthmatic) and hope never to need THC. If there were some drops to add to tea that made sleeping bearable, that would do it.

Fun thing about Celebrex, Meloxicam, etc... they're NSAIDs. Guess what class of drug I'm not supposed to take as someone with Celiac Disease? NSAIDs. And yet, I'm prescribe them... Exact conversation I had with the orthopedic guy:

Me: Is that an NSAID?
Doctor: It is.
Me: I can't have NSAIDs, Dr. (gastroenterologist) said to stay away from them
Doctor: You can have this one.

? But... desperate times, desperate measures. Sure can't say it doesn't work for back pain; 2 days of that stuff and I slept like a baby.
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

SandiSAHM wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:21 pm Another Oklahoma resident! Do you know whether or not they'll sell you hemp-based CBD oil if you don't have a card?

I know for sure I'll never smoke it (or anything else, I'm an asthmatic) and hope never to need THC. If there were some drops to add to tea that made sleeping bearable, that would do it.

Fun thing about Celebrex, Meloxicam, etc... they're NSAIDs. Guess what class of drug I'm not supposed to take as someone with Celiac Disease? NSAIDs. And yet, I'm prescribe them... Exact conversation I had with the orthopedic guy:

Me: Is that an NSAID?
Doctor: It is.
Me: I can't have NSAIDs, Dr. (gastroenterologist) said to stay away from them
Doctor: You can have this one.

? But... desperate times, desperate measures. Sure can't say it doesn't work for back pain; 2 days of that stuff and I slept like a baby.
I know! When I was diagnosed with GERD and my Gastro said to start taking 40 mg of Prilosec, I stupidly asked: "Don't the directions say no more than 20 mg a day for 14 days?" In a huff, he replied: "You can take five 20 mg a day if I say you can!"

We are our best advocates and know our bodies better than anyone. I NEVER start a new medication until I read everything about it I can find.

Now to answer your question, lol: In Oklahoma, you can purchase CBD oil that is made from hemp. That is because the CBD levels in hemp can be high, but you won’t get high off hemp. You’d have to smoke, eat, or use a truckload of drops to get anywhere close to a buzz.

https://www.marijuanadoctors.com/blog/cbd-in-oklahoma-do-you-need-a-card/
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

May I send you a PM?
SandiSAHM

Post by SandiSAHM »

Read the PM, thanks. This is right up my alley, something that comes to me rather than having to go out to acquire it.

I have a follow-up with another doc regarding the whole liver thing, I'll ask about making the switch.
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

SandiSAHM wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:40 pm Read the PM, thanks. This is right up my alley, something that comes to me rather than having to go out to acquire it.

I have a follow-up with another doc regarding the whole liver thing, I'll ask about making the switch.
Sorry about that. My finger jerked and sent the message before I got your permission to send it. I hope it was of help, these things are very complicated (at least to me).